RB3 - Clobbering Time, Monarch Warmonger Game

One thing I think I ought to be mentioned is to not forget that we are a Spiritual civ and can change civics more or less at will. I've noticed that when I take over for my turns, we've more or less ignored the civics screen, missing opportunities like making the free switch to slavery as soon as we learned Bronze Working early in the game. If we're building a lot of units instead of buildings, we can make a civic switch into Vassalage/Theocracy and get +4 experience for every unit built in our Confucian cities (and +2 exp everywhere else), or we can go into Nationhood and draft some free military for a few turns and then switch back into whatever we're staying in by default, though I'd hold off on that until we can at least get rifles from that deal. If you do fiddle around with our civics, make sure you note when you did it in your turn report so that the next person knows when they can do a civic swap again (since we are limited in only being able to do it once every five turns).

[0] 1865 AD - Well, it looks like we've got some crazy fighting going on with Alex. Sparta is ours next turn, unless something totally bizzare happens. OTOH, we need guys at Pharsalos now. Alex has a big stack between Pharsalos and Sparta which could go either way. We'll find out RSN, I guess. We could really use rifles.

IBT - Alex shows up with a frigate off our NW coast. Then he obliterates our cat stack that went too far.

[1] 1870 AD - After some preliminary skirmishing outside Delphi, we bomb Sparta down to 0% defense. I hold off the actual attack, because Alex's city defense promoted rifles are really huge.

IBT - Alex pulls out 4-5 cats at Sparta and collaterals the hell out of our cav stack. His big stack splits up between Sparta and Pharsalos. We no longer have the force necessary to take down Sparta. He also shows up outside Argos.

[2] 1875 AD - Begin constructing some frigates to counter Alex's navy. Counterattack slightly at Argos and Pharsalos, and upgrade Argos' defenders so we aren't destroyed. Sparta's attack force hangs tough. If we can live through the next round, we should triumph. If not...dunno.

IBT - Heavy fighting outside all three cities, which we generally win a lot. Pharsalos needs some help pretty quick, though. Argos' attackers are all utterly defeated, some with the help of Inca, who swoops in at the last.

[3] 1880 AD - Sparta is bombarded back down to 0. More troops are moved up, because this is going to take at least two turns to deal with.

Drill II Catapult moves in, is killed, but causes some damage. A mere Barrage I Catapult does the same, and we're for the cav fighting.

Combat I/Shock/Pinch Cavalry vs Rifle of Doom I - Death for us. In fact, his weak units in Sparta have 16 vs 20 odds or worse. We totally can't fight that at all. We'll see what the Grens can do, and if they can't, we're leaving.

There's some heavy fighting vs 6-7 Greek Rifles and Grens at Pharsalos, wherein it comes down to taking down Catapults with Horse Archers and Phants, which are then moved back into the city and upgraded to cav. We're almost out of the woods there, but not quite.

IBT - Alex probes Pharsalos with a Rifle, and wins.

[4] 1885 AD - Replacable Parts comes in, I start us on Rifling.

We officially have no chance in hell of taking Sparta with anything less than a giant stack of cav at this point, which we don't have. I will, however, leave our stack put, as it's doing ok for itself, and is keeping a lot of Alex's troops busy. We need seige weapons REALLY BAD there, though, as well as Grenadiers, neither of which we have in great supply. I take measures to correct some of this.

Everyone in our whole civ is REALLY ANGRY, as well, which I really can't fix.

IBT - Alex's stack has bugged out from Pharsalos.

[5] 1890 AD - Complete some troops, and switch over to more cannons. Alex left a pult out in the open at Sparta, so I kill it. We WILL be collateraled by a bunch of Catapults, but that's more or less ok. I think.

IBT - Sure enough, two pults enter, no pults leave.

[6] 1895 AD - I send a cavalry scouting force into Alex's eastern territories, and more less just hang out waiting for reinforcements.

IBT - Inca comes up offering Fish for Horses. I renegotiate, and get ivory instead. Alex pults us again, but with a Medic I and a Medic II unit on site, it's not really an issue.

[7] 1900 AD - Move up more troops.

IBT - Toku comes asking for Steel. I decline. He's not really thrilled with that, but...

[8] 1902 AD - We complete two frigates, and I swap both starving cities over to temples. Unfortunately, trying to attack Alex's frigate results in a loss for us.

For whatever fool reason, Alex moves out a chunk of his guys from Sparta, some to Pharsalos, and some to straight out in the open next to our huge stack. Not being a fool, I pick them off with cav. Or we try. I lose on cav on 16 vs 11 odds due to straight bad RNG luck. Subsequent attacks work out just fine.

At Pharsalos, the cav I left behind is sufficient to obliterate Alex's troops, and half ours don't even get hurt.

In the east, we find out where Knossos is. It's seriously underdefended, and if we had, you know, seige weapons, we could probably take it without issue. However.

IBT - Our scouting force is attacked by some Rifles Alex brings up, and handily defeats all of them. A galley I didn't even know we had, or I would have upgraded it, which was randomly sleeping on the north coast, gets destroyed by a caravel.

[9] 1904 AD - Rifling comes in, and Steam Power is the order of the day.

At Sparta, I judge that the time is pretty much never going to be better.

Catapult goes in, dies as I suspected, but opens things up for our Grens to take charge.

Combat II/Pinch Gren vs Combat I/City Def II Rifle - We win!
Combat I/Cover/Pinch Gren vs Combat I/City Def II Rifle - We win!
Combat II/Pinch Cav vs Combat I Rifle - We win!
Combat I/Pinch Cav vs Combat I/Cover/Medic I Gren - We win, and Sparta is ours, along with 224 gold and two workers!

Cleanup of various stray units is relatively straightforward.

Knossos has a whopping 2 pults and a gren in it, and I move up some more cav and such to take advantage of the fact.

[10] 1906 AD - We get another frigate, and we start another temple. We are now losing a whopping 40 gpt at 70% science, so I drop us to a much more humane 60%.

More troops are moved up towards Knossos.

Our second frigate takes on Alex's frigate, and wins!

Our southern troops heal. Next stop is Athens or Thermopylae, both of which are miles of culture border away.

Since DaveShack only took 8, I'll go ahead and take 12 to even things out.

IBT - Alex tries to assault our Knossos cav with a Gren, and totally fails.

Inca comes asking for Rifling in exchange for Constitution and 70 gold, which is all he has. He also has Steam Power, SciMeth, and Econ. I end up declining, just because I want to hang on to Rifling. Straight after, Nappy comes asking for Steel in exchange for SciMeth and 120 gold. I want SciMeth, but he'll do that same deal for Constitution, so I take it.

[11] 1908 AD - Our first cannon comes online at Tenochtitlan, and I move it south. Alex having moved some guys up to Sparta, I take them down, picking up a 17 xp cav in the process.

Knossos strike force is in place.

IBT - I love how Alex keeps throwing guys at our Knossos attack force, and losing. In a move of supreme :smoke:, he attacks with both his Rifle and Gren defenders, leaving, in the face of our 8 cav/1 musket stack...2 catapults.

[12] 1910 AD - You had better believe I'm all over that. In short order, Knossos, 199 gold, and a worker are ours.

Remember that caravel? Well, I sank it.

The 100 turn message is upon us.

We NEED to get out of this war. In fact, it is CRITICAL to our economy to get out ASAP. Alex will talk now, and I suggest the next player take advantage of that, wring some concessions out of him, and get us ready for the final push.

Too, if our policy towards Inca is going to be friendship, and he totally worships us right now, we should trade Rifling for whatever we can possibly get from him, with some focus on Econ so we can then switch to Free Market.

We're doing reasonably well militarily - lots of cav, more or less enough rifle troops, but almost no seige to speak of. I suggest letting at least the current crop of cannons complete.

Do we have West Point? We're eligible for it. We have access to Ironworks somwhere as well.

Nice turns, Dwip! Sparta would have been much easier without my :smoke:move trying to bring in most of the cats via Pharsalos. Alex's moves there in the middle of the set are pretty weird, if we can identify what triggered them, it would become a strategy.

Can cats be upgraded to cannons? (if we have any left that is) That was where I was going with steel, and then realized taking Sparta would require bringing in reinforcements.

Exams are finished, I am back home, so I can be slotted back in wherever. I haven't followed what has happened in the last couple of turnsets very closely, so I'll need to read up, but looks like we are getting exactly what we were looking for coming in to the game.

Like, *bump* and such.

I think it's safe to say that Tidus isn't going to be picking things up, which puts our roster something like:

Carbon Copy->busy with exams
bed_head7 -> UP NOW
Kylearan -> ON DECK
Daveshack -> Out 12/17-12/22
Dwip -> Down in a hole
Tidus444 -> AWOL, likely with exams

Experienced a couple of crashes, which I haven't had much trouble with. As it is, my 48 hours are up and I am about halfway done and wanting at least an hour or so break before giving it another go. We haven't been in too much of a hurry, so I imagine you all will be fine with giving me some extra time to finish, but I thought I should let you know what is going on.

Tried once more and once again crashed. I don't know how much time I will have for this tomorrow, so perhaps at this point a swap would be for the best. Sorry to hold up the game needlessly only to ask for a swap.

First few turns were spent skirting along the edges of the Greek empire and trying to draw Greek units out into the open to be killed. It worked fairly well, as about six or eight grenadiers were killed without losses. Also snuck some units over towards Machu Picchu which had been captured by the Greeks.

With the last Greek rifle there killed, the city became ours. As we did not have any cannons in the area, we did lose two cavalry, but by sending in Flanking promoted units in first, we only lost one cavalry. I razed it, since holding it would be a waste of units, and I didn't really see any real reason to give it back to the Inca, since they will come next if we ever manage to finish off the Greeks.

Towards the middle of the turnset, Steam Power came in, and research was begun on Railroad. The birth of a great engineer in Tenochitlan speeds up that research by a bit. I would have used it on a wonder of some sort, but for some reason I thought Louis Daguerre was a scientist, not an engineer, and hastily clicked on the technology icon before noticing that the unit was an engineer, not a scientist. Sorry about that.

Anyway, kept on moving the stack on in. Once two cannons finally made it to Thermopylae, defenses were bombarded down to 8%, and then the two cannons sent in. After that, the four riflemen, two grenadiers, and catapult in the city were killed without losses, and the city razed.

We have two small stacks of units. One of cavalry, highlighted in the picture below, are healing outside of Greek territory with the aid of a Medic II promoted unit. The other small stack in their territory includes a couple of cannons, a couple of grenadiers, and a few cavalry. It is headed for Athens to bombard down their defenses and hopefully take the city by the sixth or seventh turn of the next players turnset.

The domestic situation is terrible. Early on, I considered messing with culture rate and maybe switching over to some buildings that would help with happiness. After the first time the game crashed, and the pathetic effects of my efforts, I decided to just say to hell with it all. Hope no one cares too much. But it really is taking its toll. Our score has been dropping due to the mass starvation in our cities, and our productivity is non existant. It almost might be worth it to make peace with the Greeks and go after the Incans or something. I don't really know. We are running short of time, and will not be winning by conquest, obviously. But even winning by score is in danger, with the whole starvation thing and poor research capabilities. In fact, we dropped to third place in score.

By the way, Kylearan had not picked it up and I had more time than I realized, so I gave it another go and managed to finish up without any more computer problems. Sorry about the lateness.

Okay, I'm back. I was too busy writing my Epic 1 report to check this thread the last few days.

Mass Starvation? Not good. We need to switch who we're fighting if we're so war-weary that cities are starving. We've only ever been at war with Greece, so maybe we just need to leave them alone for a while and work on somebody else.

Our empire is in a desolate state, but that's mainly because of some poor play on our part...

I renegotiate our deals, and now we get ~20gpt more income.

No wonder that we have severe happiness problems! We have dye, but no theatres anyway?!? :smoke: They are cheap, and provide two happiness! I queue them up almost everywhere. I also raise culture to 20% (later to 30%).

We have lots of unhappy faces, and yet several cities are on "emphasize growth". I switch those to emphasize production to stop them from growing into even more unhappiness, and to build those theatres faster.

Calix is producing units without a barracks; change that.

We are drowning in units (and unit upkeep!), but our cities lack important infrastructure like courthouses etc. :( We should have built some infra even during the war, but I guess it's too late for that now.

Why do we have lots of sleeping workers when lots of improvements are yet to be done? :smoke: I wake them up and send them working.

Given our pitiful economy, we should have researched economics and corporation before railroads, but I let this finish before switching.

We wage war a lot, and have yet to build West Point... I start it in Teno during my turns.

On turn five, we capture Athens. On turn nine, Herakleia falls. Now only Mycenae is left, then the Greeks should be destroyed. Alex has infantry now, but we have enough cannons to soften them up before going in with our precious high-level cavs.

When economics came in, I've switched us to free markets. Corporation will be done next turn; then I suggest going for infantry.

-Kylearan

Happy Birthday, CC. Here's your present. ;)

[0] 1950 AD - Well, here we are. 80 turns remaining. Our war with Alex begins to draw to a close, since he has at best two cities left. It doesn't say so, but I'm going to bet he has one in the tundra.

For domination, we have 24.03% of 47% population, and 31.24% of 66% land area. We're losing in score to Toku.

Our economy sure is hurting. But hopefully I can bring this war with Alex to a close.

IBT - Inca wants Spices for Wheat. I accept.

[1] 1951 AD - Corporation comes in, we start Assembly Line by default, due in 10. We are (barely) making money at 40% sci/30% culture.

Teo Cav->Cannon.

Move our stack up towards Mycenae. Move some cav to scout western Greece, and...oh my. Corinth is right where I said it was going to be, and it's got...a whole lot of guys in it. What we can see is to the tune of 3 Frigates, 4 Galleons, a Catapult, and 12 (!) Infantry. Ok, that's going to take some doing.

IBT - The good news is, Alex's guys are all just kind of hanging out.

[2] 1952 AD - Calix Cannon->Bank, Delphi MG->MG, Argos Theatre->Temple, Knossos Library->Temple.

Our stack is mostly in position at Mycenae. The bombing begins next turn.

[3] 1953 AD - Tlatelolco MG->Bank, Tlaxcala Cav->Harbor.

Mycenae is bombed down to 30%, and troops keep moving up. We begin moving an assault force towards Corinth. We're going to take the gold hill if we can, then assault the city.

IBT - Somebody else gets the Pentagon.

[4] 1954 AD - Teo Cav->Observatory, Xochicalco Theatre->Harbor, Texcoco Rifle->Bank

Mycenae is bombed to 0%. We will assault next turn. Our troops are also in position at Gold Hill.

[5] 1955 AD - Argos Temple->Library.

On second thought, I bypass Gold Hill, since we have nothing capable of even attempting to hurt that infantry, and I'm not going to throw cav at it until it dies.

The Battle of Mycenae:

City Raider I/Barrage I Cannon vs Combat I/City Def I Infantry - Lose, but hurt some infantry.
Barrage I Cannon vs Combat I Infantry - Lose, but more collateral.
Combat II/Pinch Grenadier vs Combat I/City Def I Infantry - Lose. This is a bloody business.
Combat I/Pinch Cav vs Combat I Infantry - Win against odds.
Combat I/Pinch Cav vs Combat I Infantry - Lose
Combat III/Pinch Cav vs Combat I/City Def I Infantry - Win
Combat II/Pinch Cav vs Combat I Infantry - Win

Mycenae and 133 gold is ours.

IBT - Alex does a CRAZY amount of counter-attacking at Corinth. 3 of our cav and a gren die, 5 of Alex's infantry die.

Inca cancels our Fish/Ivory deal.

[6] 1956 AD - Tlaxcala Harbor->Observatory, Knossos Temple->Granary, Athens Temple, Herakleia Temple.

There's some random infantry of Alex's by Mycenae, so I take one of our 23 XP cavs and kill it with no HP loss for the promotion.

IBT - More counterattacking at Corinth. We lose a Rifle, Alex loses an infantry.

[7] 1957 AD - Pharsalos MG->Temple.

Move up vast forces towards Corinth.

IBT - Our ubercav kill two of Alex's infantry at Corinth.

Napoleon declares war on us!

[8] 1958 AD - Teo Observatory->MG, Texcoco Bank->MG, Delphi MG->Bank, Xochicalco Harbor->Market.

I continue to move up on Corinth.

IBT - WAY misfortunately for us, Napoleon lands two cav and two arty at Knossos, overwhelms the musket defenders, and razes the city.

[9] 1959 AD - Begin bombing Corinth. We are in no way ready to attack, but.

IBT - Nappy moves on up.

[10] 1960 AD - Argos Library->Cav, Mycenae Lighthouse.

We're more or less stuck in front of Corinth healing for the next few turns. Too, we probably need more guys.

Forces to take care of Nappy are on their way. With that in mind, I'm going to go ahead and take an extra turn just so somebody else isn't stuck with him.

IBT - Alex counterattacks again. Unfortunately for him, to make use of that classic quote from Die Hard, "Ho Ho Ho. Now I have a machine gun." We still lose a cav, but honestly, every guy he throws at us NOW is one less I have to root out of Corinth later.

[11] 1961 AD - Tenochtitlan West Point->Cav.

Let me reassure you, and I'm sure you worried a lot, that our Combat III/Pinch Cav is perfectly capable of taking care of Nappy's entire raiding force.

I'm strongly tempted to take the extra two turns I need to wipe Alex off the map, but I'll give somebody else the pleasure. He's now down to 2 infantry and a cannon as usable garrison in Corinth, and two infantry guarding resources outside who aren't moving for anything. Unfortunately, our entire stack of cav is pretty much shot to hell, but thanks to our Medic II Cav, will be ready to rock in a couple turns. So have fun, and enjoy the moment.

I'm pretty sure Nappy is SE of us, somewhere in the unexplored reaches. We're going to need a navy to take him down, and he's definitely got Destroyers, so, uh, good luck with that.

Assembly Line is due in 4, with our whopping 20% science/40% culture. However, once we kill Alex, the 18-19 unhappiness we're picking up from the war should go away, and life will return to good.

Carbon Copy->UP
bed_head7 -> ON DECK
Kylearan -> Waiting
Daveshack -> Out 12/17-12/22 (Back?)
Dwip -> Resting in the trenches
Tidus444 -> AWOL, likely with exams

I see the game, but probably can't get to it until monday due to christmas plans. Do you guys want me to call christmas break on this game now, or get one or two more rounds in first?

BTW, thanks guys for the birthday greetings. And speaking of birthdays, the 21st marks 4 years since the first wave of RBers migrated here to CFC and set up shop in the Civ 3 Stories and Tales forum, at least by my recollection of events. Hopefully we'll still be around in another four years.

:bday: RBCiv SGs!

Hi,

so we're at war with Nappy now...good thing our military railnet is forming, so that we can respond to his landings. Weren't you able to reinforce Knossos after Nappy landed, or didn't you see the landing? (Have they fixed this in the patch? That landings are actually shown now? :crazyeye: )

I have no idea if, or when I will be able to play until the new year. Do we really want to halt this game completely, or make it some kind of "first come, first serve" SG instead, meaning anybody from the roster who can play can get it?

-Kylearan

Kylearan said:
(Have they fixed this in the patch? That landings are actually shown now? :crazyeye: )

-Kylearan

Doesn't this show up on the ``Hostile troops near Blah!'' notification? I always use Alt-Tab and then click on each message to make sure I didn't miss anything (clicking on the message centers the screen on the origin of the event.)

Top Bottom