RBC13G - Middle Ages - Norwegian Nightmares (Demigod)

Even with the Palace jump, I'm alarmed at how corrupt our cities are. Hasting is 1st ring and 25% corrupt. Hmmph, guess we need Town Halls.

If we had the money, a fierce brokerage is available. CoL is generally known, but Early Seigecraft isn't, and the Byz have neither. It may be possible to swing a 3-fer, and get all the cash, if we could buy Early Seigecraft. The third tech may be Heavy Cavs from the Byz, although it is useless to us. Heavy Cavalry would make a terrific bargaining chip with the Rus, if they would research Smithing for us.

The tech/trading model in this game is really confusing. The 2nd tech in the Byz line, that allowed us to build Aqueducts and Colosseums, costs ~20 gold. The 3rd tech, which allows nothing for us, goes for ~600 gold. The Kievan Rus start with Norse Tradition, but demanded a Byzantine tech of us. [We went to war over ~10 gold of value to the AI :lol: , it was still the right call Bede]. Meanwhile, over in the Turk game, I couldn't trade them Seafaring, and they couldn't trade it to me, even though we both had Norse Tradition. So I'm not entirely sure we could trade LRS to the Rus. That means we are going to have a problem obtaining Smithing, since I think only Denmark will research it, unless the Rus go there instead of the Byz tree. :crazyeye:

So what I'm saying is that I think research has to go back on for Smithing. The alternative is to plan to pointy-stick the tech from the Danes. That is very possible, especially if we can get up to 15 'zerks to allow for a two-pronged assault.

But for now, smacking the Rus around will suffice. If we intend to hold the Rus cities, we should bring Spears/Swords on a separate Longboat, so we don't get caught playing defense with the 'zerks. After attacking Sweden, I can say that is really unproductive.

There is some tile-shuffling that can be done for another couple of gpt, and it would be nice to get all the 'zerks involved in the offensive by building af few more spears/swords.

@Bede: Do the Rus have anything to offer us after we smack them around? [CoL, Seigecraft, Smithing?] They wouldn't talk on the IT.

Looks like those granaries really paid off now, eh? :)

I see it, can play tonight. I'll attend to brokering, for sure - I know how to mortgage everything for a 3-fer if at all possible. :D

There is definitely some bug in tech pricing in some of these scenarios. There's no way at all that Lost Roman Secrets should be worth 10 gold - it should cost the same as the other techs.

I guess we're planning on reaching victory through general wars and expansions in our area? Not looking to grab another relic or two and just blitz Jerusalem like the Swedish game did?

We can still go grab another relic and high-tail it to Jerusalem. I don't think our game up to this point precludes that, but we haven't bent our strategy completely towards a quick blitz.

We can be fairly confident the French relic is still in Paris. We very likely have enough 'zerks now to storm through and grab it. However, while 9 'zerks is a good start, I'd feel better with 12 for that mission, since we have to do some ground-pounding. This becomes much easier if we score a leader from the Rus war. One 12-HP covering Sword army should allow us to keep our 'zerks fighting only on offense.

If we score an army and two relics, 5 longboats gets us to Jerusalem with 12 'zerks, a covering army, and two relic-bearers, likely before Pikemen hit the scene, and (hopefully) before mucho Ansars. Ehh, that's cutting it too close. We need 6-7 LB's full of troops to assault Jerusalem. So get us two covering armies and 15 'zerks and we'll storm the place. :)

So my answer to long-term strategy is: Let's talk about it after the Rus conflict ends. If we get a leader or two, Relics to Jerusalem looks a lot more promising than if we don't get leaders.

Rurik the Poverty Stricken is exactly that. No cash and no techs.

As for the war, it seemed a good place to go leader and point-fishing while putting together the forces to take on the Danes. I don't think holding any Rus cities would work to our advantage.

OK, here we go, just in time to keep the thread on the first page. :D

We're at war with the Rus, who won't talk to us yet. Plan is to raid them and get whatever peace concessions we can get, then turn our attention to Europe, most likely France.

Danes are up Code of Laws, Early Siegecraft, and a monopoly on Smithing.
Cordova and Abbasids and Fatimids have CoL and Siege.
Germans and Burgundy and Poland have Code of Laws. Germans also have Wines to trade.
Byzantines have none of those but have Heavy Cavalry, although that tech does nothing for us beyond access to the followup techs with small wonders.
Castile has 72g and no techs.
Celts and France are broke.

Nobody has Map Making, judging by that we can't trade maps with anyone.

The potential three-way brokerage is to buy Siegecraft, resell for CoL, then both techs to the Byzantines for Heavy Cavalry and we can also pick up German Wines. There is no urgency on this: HC is useless at the moment; several civs have CoL but lack Siege, and several more civs lack both and won't get them at the same time. I will wait until we can at least talk to the Rus.

I decide to sell Iron to Denmark for 193 gold, which is full price (adding 1gpt is "close"). We don't plan to attack Denmark soon and likely not ever. That 193 gold goes towards funding 100% research on Smithing for ourselves.

MM on the inherited turn: set Trondheim to food to keep it growing. Swap Oslo to one more settler to fill in the northeast. Borre to aqueduct; growing our capital will pay off economically. Hastings to berserk; we don't need swordsmen. Drop lux tax to 0% because we have our furs coming online this turn.

Also on the inherited turn, we can load the longboat at Julianehab with four berserks and hit one Rus city. I can't see any reason not to do this, and so we raze that city.

Finally, how in the world did the *Byzantines* end up with a city on the southern tip of Sweden?? :confused: It has a Viking name, too (Kopingsvik) - did they really conquer that all the way over here?

==========

1044 AD: The Rus will now talk. They have CoL, but not Smithing, and I doubt it's likely they'll get the latter anytime soon, so we're on our own with researching it.

They want US to pay for peace. Phooey on that. We can hit another city of theirs next turn.

1047 AD: We attack the city of Smolensk. Three elite berserks all beat spears; no leaders. It's size 5, has a cow, and would make a nice forward base in this area, so I keep the city. Land another couple berserks next to the next city (it isn't coastal) of Tmuto-something.

1050 AD: We capture Tmuto-whatever. It's surrounded by too many Russian units, so time to make peace, and that also means it's time to pull the trigger on brokering. Although, nuts, the Byzantines got Code of Laws.

33/turn goes to the Fatimids for Early Siegecraft.

Early Siege plus 45g goes to Byzantium for Heavy Cavalry. (This should NOT work. Heavy Cav is 2.5x the cost of Siege in the editor, and far less devalued. Something is *wrong* here.)

Heavy Cavalry plus peace goes to the Rus for Code of Laws plus 8 gold. (Couldn't get him to concede any cities.)

Code of Laws to Castile for their 79 gold and to France for Wines. (We can still attack France before 20 turns if we want.)

Swap a couple of cities to Town Halls.

==========

1053 AD: Clearing units out of the Rus area. We'll keep the cities, but just leave them empty and use them for scientists.

1059 AD: Trade Early Siegecraft to England for a worker. Trade our only Furs to Byzantines for Dyes; we will soon have a second furs hooked up for ourselves. Send a boat to explore Iceland just because we can. Silly Danes built a city next to the volcano there.

Denmark demands 21 gold. We're NOT ready for a fight with him, so I cave. The Germans start Domesday Book.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/rbc13g-1071ad.zip

Notes:

- We're TRYING to research Smithing, as we aren't going to get to broker for it, but our economy is kind of in a funk.

- To get out of said funk, get our cities to GROW. Keep Trondheim and Borre and Reykjavik on max food. (Let Hastings run food shortage for a while to let Borre grow. Do not give Hastings more food until it's about to starve.)

- Build the selected granaries. Trust me.

- Swap Trondheim's and Borre's Colosseums to blacksmiths if we manage to get that tech; otherwise build them because they need the happiness (we can drop lux tax.)

- You have two longboats full of berserks in the North Sea, awaiting another target. We could go after England again, or Germany, or Burgundy, or France. Can go after Denmark if you can get them to declare war on us (probably just demand withdrawal) - they might be the best target, to try to extract Smithing with a pointy axe. It's up to the next leader.

Solid progress. :)

I agree that the tech valuation is completely screwed up in this scenario. And the weird thing is that it seems to swing wildly from horribly undervaluing tech to horribly overvaluing tech almost randomly. At times, prices look like 4th (of 4 that could "naturally" reseach the tech) of 17, other times like 4th of 4. A tech that gave us two buildings was almost free, and a tech that enables us to build nothing cost ~700 gold. Plus it seems that not all techs are tradeable to all civs, even when you know they have the entry tech to the flavor. Do the Rus have Smithing? If they don't, try to trade it to them when we get it. In the Turk game, it certainly looked like I couldn't trade the Rus a Viking tech.

Anyway, haven't looked at the game to make any sort of detailed comments, but we are now in the capable hands of Kabuki.

To answer an open question from T-Hawks report, the Byz have a city in Sweden because I (we) gave it to them at the end of the Swedish war. Same theory as increasing the Fatimid presence in England. I suspect that when we want that city back, we can probably get them to talk before troops from their core can reach us. Unless they discover Flight before then. ;)

I have no idea who to attack next. The Danes have the most useful stuff for us, but are by far the most difficult opponent. Is it possible for us to lay waste to both Odense and their capital on the same turn? Maybe 12-15 'zerks for that. Hopefully jump their capital to Brittany, and get either Smithing or some cities for peace. We just have to be prepared to re-capture some of our own lost cities from their 'zerks. Of course, if we have 3-4 defensive units in a city, the AI is unlikely to bring 3-4 'zerks in a single boat. Have to sleep on it.

I just finished giving this thread a re-read and it's really interesting how very different it is from other Viking games.

Regarding the Danes though, I think you guys are seriously underestimating your own power with longship-borne zerks, and overestimating their defensive strength. If you attack by ship, there is no counterattack. If you need two turns for just 4 zerks to kill 7-8 defenders, so be it. Their king cities are all coastal. You could eliminate the Danes in a span of like 3 turns, with little to no counterattack. At most they might take a coastal city of yours if they have a zerk-filled-boat in the waters. If they're not already "in the sea" it will be too late, there will be zero counterattack.

You guys also decided to "stay home" and make Norway (and Sweden) your home, not jump to England, and not a blitz to Jerusalem. This game has the chance of seeing you guys play historically - raiding and putting extreme fear into the heart of
every European nation with berzkerer raids. England and Celts are yours for the plunder, and you could raze every single coastal city in Northern Europe for booty.

I'm hoping you can continue the "Dominatrix of the North" approach and see what some of the later techs can do for Vikings, including Saga and exploring your Byzantine interests. And we've seen 3 boats zerks beating on hapless spears in Jersusalem, let's see a REAL battle just before the Abbasids win on VP, with a dozen Saga-fueled ships of death landing several Berzerk armies (who happen to have four relics with them) :hammer:

That's just a lurker's perspective. The quick path is there literally anytime you want it - Paris. Zerk zerk zerk longship zerk. optional Rome/Venice. Jerusalem. But if that's all you want, why bother going down a path to build up glorious Norway?! :p

Charis

We haven't been playing chicken; we were at war with the Rus, and only just now did our longboats get back over there to pick another target. And I did say the Danes might be the best target. We're shipping Iron to the Danes, so we'd want to make them declare the war. Could likely be done, though.

That said, there's been a *lot* of Danish boats wandering around, and it'd only take one or two berserks to nail any of our cities. It'd *hurt* if that was Trondheim or our new capital. We'd then have to delay eliminating the opponent to retake our city (else it goes away when the Danes do), or rebuild from the ground up.

I *am* actually wondering now if we can win solely by Vike-ing, without ever going for Jerusalem at all...

OK, since Kabuki is going to be playing real soon ...

If we attack the Danes, one of their kings should be in Lund, which is on our peninsula. I say whack the four cities in Jutland (Ribe, Hedeby, Lejre, Odense) then sue for peace to get Smithing + Viborg. Replace the cities in Jutland, and finish the job in 20 turns.

If we can spare a settler, the island SE of Julianehab looks nice. Probably going to have a Byz city on it soon.

Alternative plan is to capture Odense, Lejre, and Hedeby. Garrison them all lightly for a flip. Raze Ribe and re-found on Hill.

Oh, and don't miss the Danish settler pair outside of Thing.

I was just going to start play, but part of my plan was to take Lund, and leave Copenhagen, otherwise doing exactly as you noted, maybe no garrisons or at best a warrior or spear. However your reasoning on why to leave Lund would be interesting, so before I get it on with the Danes would you mind elaborating?

And btw. some of those cities are getting new names... Proper Norwegian names. Julianehab is Danish and wasn't settled until the late middle ages (at best) on Greenland...

I would leave Lund for last for a couple of reasons: It moves the capital farther away from the captured cities than Hedeby (Copenhagen?), to reduce the flip risk. And it leaves the remaining cities with no Danish neighbors.

The last Dane city has to be either Lund, Hedeby, or Ribe, as those are where the Kings started. Leaving them with one King in Lund gives us the option of capturing a number of cities in boats, and finishing the job with ground troops at Lund in 20. There are at least 3 more disjoint Danish coastal cities in the East. Being free to not use the boats to land the killing blow gives us more flexibility.

My both sides were bathed in
Blood, I dreamed so, flooded;
I dreamed harm descended
Of drawn wound flood on me.
Necklet goddess, nightly
Now, blood nightmares bow me;
A storm stirs, of weapons,
Strife of men against me.
- Soga om Gisle Surson

And it began with a dream, as you can guess a pretty darn drunken dream, the great leader Thuderhawk’s birthday bash was definitely one to remember for the ages, and dreaming stretched out under the table after a very long night of mead is not recommended for the weak. Not that Kabuki, the son of Kabuki, the sacker of England, felt particularly strong as he stumbled bleary-eyed to the wash basin so he could try to clear his head of the dream.

Half-way across the room he stumbles over the body of T_McC stretched out, some Kievan girl on his arm, or at least he thought it was the arm as he passes out again.

After another macabre nightmare, daymare, after-drink-mare or whatever you want to call it, he sits up and declaims another verse.

If dreams true lines draw me
Dark for age they mark me;
Thread-work goddess through my
Thought-filled sleep has sought me.
Although the ale goddess
Invites no bright meaning,
Linker of strong letters
Not less soundly rests him.

Not every dream avails me,
Albeit word not fails me;
She, goddess, has spoken,
So is my joy broken.
At sleep’s edge she seeks me,
With slaughter’s gilt she freaks me;
This woman works bloody
Wound flood on me, ruddy.

Told have I the tall ones,
Trees of the spear’s greeting,
My dream of death’s coming,
Dear wealth goddess, clearly.
Seeker of sark’s hatred,
Strife gods, who outlawed me,
Will feel my filed weapon’s
Fang, if I grow angry.

The other, bleary-eyed head shrunken Vikings look at him like he’s a freak. From the back someone offers some suggestive advice regarding where to shove his declamation. Furious, and with images of a burning, blood-spattered Europe in his mind he smashes the fool to a pulp, noting the incapacitation of the celebrant (Congratulation T-Hawk!) and the general condition of the party-goers as a whole Kabuki decides it is time that someone with a vision, if a bloody one, ran this place. None of this mincing around with Kievan girls, I mean look at the man, he’s a fop! Nope it is time to unite the North and the take the war to Europe, raiding the coast, spreading terror from Germany to Rome. It shouldn’t be so hard, but first the bloody Danes.

After thinking on it he remembered something his father told him about the Danes, something about a book. After another bowl of mead - thus headache, gummy mouth and general personal hygiene taken care of – he remembers, the Book of Grudges. After digging through some of the piles of Swedish loot he finds it! A small leather bound list of names. At the top: The Danes. That decides it. Pillage and Burn!

Before getting quite so far Kabuki lays out the strategic map they were laughing about the night before on top of the sleeping T-Hawk. There wasn’t much of interest. Although he noted that some places needed to be re-named. Holar quickly became Hrafsfjord, Julianehab (bloody Danish names) became Etne and Skalholt becomes Skaldholt. To his amazement, and quite disturbingly there were only three longships in the fleet, and one was off in Ireland playing ferry for a bunch of peasants. The two other however were well placed to slip into Danish ports. Some blue sails were noted as well, quite a few of them, 2 Dromons and 6 Curraghs of the Byzantine navy were sitting in Skagerak and the Helgoland Bight, damned if he knew what they were doing there.

Speaking of the Byzantines, at least she’s sight for sore eyes and she has both Silk, and the knowledge of how to Defend Europe… not that she’s in a sharing mood. Kabuki figures landing a boat of “diplomats” in Constantinople would make the little bird sing quite nicely… well at least after the Danish stop screaming. Looking at some scribbles on the map he sees that the Danes are also proud owners of the knowledge of smithing… so there is no reason for us to research this as we plan to make them hand it over, shouldn’t be to hard… a couple of axes into heads…

After some time the notion of getting medieval on the Danes does occur to the drink clouded brain and he orders research into this medieval combat nonsense to be made. A scientist is hired in a Rus colony while some taxmen replace the unnecessary scientist. As there isn’t much brain-power in Scandinavia after a celebration like this, Kabuki decides that raising taxes is better and none of this spending for research… a genuine waste of time.

Kabuki then orders Stavanger to hold some more parties, grow some more food and generally make sure that more Vikings are available to beat up those wimpy Europeans. Godthab is politely asked to stop training Zerks and figure out how to hold a town meeting so that corruption can be reduced.

Finally the two longships full of armed maniacs hopped up on mushrooms are sailed near Viborg and Hedeby.

As the year 1071 comes to an end the English decide it is time to produce some book on the world ending… how fitting as after the Danes are done, they will be next. The Byzantine fleet decides that they need to sail further into the depths of Skagerak.

The year 1074 starts auspiciously with a bersherker finishing training in Hastings. They are then asked to build a town hall.

With such an auspicious start it can only mean one thing, it is time! The Danes refuse to move their troops from our land and declare war. How rude!

Near Hastings:
V B vs. V B – W/-1

The Battle for Viborg:
V B vs. V Sp – L/-1
V B vs. R Sp – W/-1, Promotion
E B vs. V Sp (-3) – W/Leader

In the final attack on the city, Gisle Surson personally accounted for half of the enemy and was given command of the newly formed army. The city is bloody-minded with three resisters, but it comes with barracks.

The Battle for Hedeby Pt. 1

V B vs. V Sp – W/-2
V B vs. V Sp – W/-2
E B vs. V B – W/-1, Barracks destroyed
E B vs. R Sp – W/-1
- Regular Spear showing.

The year of the bloody fist ends with the Danish reeling from their losses, and in fear they decide to bring the English into the fight. A Danish longship is also spotted between Ireland and Iceland.

As the year 1077 dawns Godthab decides to riot, and in return are taxed heavily.

The longship off the coast of Ireland is hunted down and sunk by our ferry, which is promoted to veteran.
The Battle of Hedeby Pt. 2
E B(-1) vs. R Sp – W/-2, Harbour destroyed
E B(-1) vs. R Sp – W/-1
- 2 Bersherks are in the town and one is in the fort south of the city.
E B(-2) vs. R B – W
V B(-2) vs. R Sp – W/-1, Temple Destroyed
Regular Bersherk showing.

Tall to the Celts and they will beat up the English for Code of Laws (only ones without) and 10g. Done. Amazingly, for the first time in any game I’ve played so far the poles have cash! 1g.

The troops in Viborg are healing and reorganizing so that the Army has two bersherks in it (Gisle and a nameless veteran).

As the year closes out the Danes march on Smolensk and send a Longship into Kattegat. The longship is probably bound for the Swedish city that is left empty as the bersherk is playing zone defence. [this will prove to be a bad assumption]

The year is 1080 and the war is still on.
Smolensk and Tmutorohan both produce a warrior – not that they’ll do much good.

Fred the Imperial captures two slaves outside of Thingvellir.

Kabuki stares at the map long and hard. There are several problems with this war: First the Danes have a ROP with the Germans and can move troops very rapidly to attack Hedeby, secondly any defenders from the other cities can reach Hedeby in one or two turns, and if only held by one defender it will fall. The conclusion is not particularly subtle: All their local defenders must fall before striking home.

The Battle of Hedeby Pt. 3
E B(-2) vs. V Sp – W/-1
E B(-2) vs. V Sp – W/-2
- Worker showing

The Battle of Ribe Pt. 1
E B vs. V Sp – W
Army vs. R Sp – W
Army vs. R Sp – W/-2

The Danes move on Smolensk and will capture it next year for sure, in less critical news the Poles also decide that the world is ending and want to tell everyone about it in a book.

War rages in Denmark, and the year 1083 starts with more rotting carcasses stinking up the country. However, our food isn’t rotting as Skaldholt builds a granary and is ordered to build a town hall.

The Battle of Ribe Pt. 2
E B vs. V B – W/-3
Army vs. R Sp – W/-4
Army vs. R Sw – W
- King Showing

As Smolensk is untenable we decide to send a note to the Abbasids telling them that they now have a new possession on the Baltic. Our slave and warrior are politely dropped off in Borre.

The year ends smashingly with the Danes tossing rocks from their two catapults at our longship in Kattegat. Both of them hit, and rather than hunting Danish shipping it will have to sail back to Hastings for repairs or to work as a ferry. The Danish pull a sneaky tick and land a bersherk next to Tmutorohan, and I thought they were going to play nice and go for the easily recovered target.

1086 is another auspicious year as Stavanger completes a town hall and starts on a longship, Oslo finishes a bersherker and starts training another one. Godthab finishes their town hall and starts on a warrior.

Tumotorohan’s Warrior decides that 1:2 is better than 6:1.5 and attacks the bersherk. The brave, and insane assault, nearly works as the bersherk is brought to his knees before he smashes his axe through the poor warriors torso. It is a sad day when we have to hand a second city over to the Abbasids. I was really hoping to draw the Danish SOD further East for another three or four turns.

The Battle of Odense
E B vs. R Sp – W
E B vs. R Sp – W/-2, 2 catapults captured
- City taken, 4 resisters.

The Battle of Ribe Pt. 3
E B vs. R King – W/-1
- City taken, 3 resisters.

There is no Danish counter.

Burgundy starts Bayeux tapestry, 4 countries including Denmark have Medieval Combat, so it looks like more pointy-sticking for us.

It is 1089 and Danish beer is flowing into Norwegian hands, now it is time to secure the rest of the Danish homeland.

Hastings completes their Town Hall and starts on a bersherk.

Before going on this second rampage all the units were shipped back to Norway to heal for a turn, and then reorganized and sent back out.

The Battle for Hedeby Pt. 4
E B vs. V Sp – W/-2
Army vs. R B – W
E B vs. R B – W/-3, Barracks destroyed
- Archer Showing
V B vs. V A – W/-1
- Worker showing
Army vs. King – W
- City Captured, five resisters.
- Capital is moved to the SE, inland.

The ships holding the units are moved into harbour to makes sure the city isn’t retaken by the bersherk in the fort.

Godthab is switched to bersherk.

The Danish decide that discretion is the better part of valour and pillage two squares. They also join the Poles and the Abbasids in pining for pretty wall hangings.

In 1092 our Coliseums finish and both Borre and Trondheim switch to bershrks. Reykjavik finishes a granary and starts on a town hall.

Near Ribe
Catapults go 0/2
E B vs. V Sp – W/-3
E B vs. V B – W/-1

Near Hedeby
Army vs. R Sp (fort) – W/-2
Army vs. R B (fort) – W/-1

3 wounded bersherks are shipped from Hedeby to Leirje for the assault

The Battle for Leirje
E B(-2) vs. V Sp – W/Temple Destroyed
E B(-2) vs. R Sp – W/Barracks Destroyed
V B(-2) vs. R. Sp – W/Promotes
- City Captured, three resisters.

By accident I move a longship into Hedeby and when Hedeby flips back (no defenders) it is lost. The Danes also attack the army in the fort with a bersherk and redline it at 1 before the Army finally kills the crazed lunatic.

Ribe riots as the new year (1095) comes around, the former resister is unhappy with his lot in life.

The Battle for Hedeby Pt. 5
E B(-2) vs. R Sp – W/-2
V B vs. R Sp – W
- City Captured, 4 resisters.

Near Lund a Danish longship is caught and sunk by our patrolling ship.

Now that we hold five of their cities we try to talk some sense into these Danish morons. They don’t seem to get the fact that they are loosing and do not want to part with any techs. As the battle is still warming our troops the decision is made to not deal with these idiots and talk to some sane people.

The Abbasids are willing to trade us Medieval Combat for 16gpt and 99g
Cordova gives us Map Making for Medieval Combat and 53g
The Bulgars give up a pretty decent map for Heavy Cavalry.
The Fatimids give up their WM from Medieval Combat.
Cordova now gives us WM+53 for WM
Kievan Rus: WM+10g for WM
Turks: WM + 56 for WM
Abbasids: WM + 35 for WM and later 8g
Poles: WM + 5gpt for WM
Burgundy: WM + 26 and later 1g
Byzantine: Will not give either IO or DoE for our entire economy, they do give horses and WM for WM (I try to trade the horses away again, but no takers).
Magyar: 2 workers (Magyar – each a 120g value) + Wm for WM + 42g

Sum total: 16 gpt and 195 g out for 2 techs, full world map, 2 workers, 5 gpt and 123g for a net of 11gpt and 72g for 2 techs, map and t workers. We are still short smithing, IO and DoE.

The Gemans, Fatimids, Maguar, Cordovans and English start the Bayeux tapestry.

The Year of 1098 sees us start Divine Right and has Hrafsfjord produce a warrior and start on a granary.

All of our now tried troops rest, heal and try to bring rebellious Danish citizens under control.

The Danish counterattack consists of a bersherk near Thingvillir, a longship near Lund and a longship sailing past Sheep hill. France, the Turks and the Burgundians start the silly wall hanging.

1101 Sees Sheep Hill completes a worker and start another, Fred crush a Danish bersherk, another Danish longship sunk and a longship hurried in Stavanger. The growth of Borre and Hastings are both set to 1 fpt.

World maps are traded around and we make 70g.

Also we capture a Danish worker that we forgot about last turn.

The year ends with Germany and the Magyar making peace, and Cordova offering us Wool for fur and 8gpt. I take it.

The Danish SOD arrives 2 south of Hedeby.

1104 sees Viborg renamed Bjorgvin and a Longship completed in Stavanger.

Kabuki stares at his hands bloody, tired and worn. He declaims a last verse and then heads off into the sunset, tired and lonely.

Hear a great marvel,
Hear of manslaughter,
Hear a great matter,
Hear of a man’s death
- Soga om Gisle Surson

And of course: The Save

Ok, that was a sadistic set of turns, and it is not quite over (and I think I went one turn over).

On the attack:

The Danes were our next target, admittedly maybe not on my first turn, but we were nicely set up and the situation was unlikely to get significantly better as we needed infrastructure, and not having units in teh pipeline makes one play a lot more conservatively.

With the tightness of their cities, and the obvious movement and draining of defense to meet the attack attritioning away their units mad a whole lot of sense. It also happened to work amazingly well and the only loss we had was the first bersherk in, and the ship when I screwed up on the orders.

The SOD should be easy to deal with, the ships can bring all the units in from the Leirje and Ribe and then you just pound them to scrap. The alternative is to simply put all the units in the available ships and park them offshore, don't worry about loosing the cities, they can be taken back and then pound them fromt eh sea. There are four bersherks finishing soon that can also be shipped South.

Map-trading. Just do it! There is enough cash around to make it worthwhile with a minimum investment you should at least be able to pull 20-30g per sales round.

Techs: We are down two to the Byz (hopefully the Magyar will break monopoly for us) and smithing to the Danish. I have no idea how long it is going to take before they will give up smithing. I really regret taking us off smithing when I stared my turn, probably my biggest mistake, but I've never seen an AI being beaten up that badly and still holding on to their tech. Maybe if the SOD goes, their resolve goes, but I'm not too sure about that.

The Danes: The current capital has to go. Other than that I recommend Roskilde (1 tile island) and afte that anything you can get at, until they give up the tech.

Future planning:
I would like to see us go the raiding route, hit England, France, Celts, Cordova, Castille, Burgundy the lot! Clearing Ireland should be a priority, and then relics. But burn and pillage our way to a VP victory in style. Lets not go for Jerusalem, I think raiding will be a lot more fun and interesting.

Comments? Suggestions?

Feel free to rake me over the coals. The next turn will be quite hard as well, especially on the MM and trading, although managing the battles will not be a simple task either.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Stack 'em up like cordwood.

Great writeup and good turns anyway, Kabuki. :) Yeah, taking us off Smithing was really the only bad move - we lost somewhere around 500 beakers invested into that, losing that credit towards getting the tech from Denmark. We had no reason to try to research Med Combat ourselves. Excellent brokering when you did buy that, though. (Does Denmark have Combat and Map Making, or could we try to trade them those towards Smithing?) I would suggest putting our own research back onto Smithing. When you're trying to acquire a monopoly tech, putting some of your own research into it goes a *long* way towards lowering the cost.

I do like the idea of ignoring Jerusalem and fighting our way to a classic-style VP victory instead. :hammer:

Keep in mind the possibility to build some of the late-game wonders. Robin Hood (equivalent of Hanging Gardens) comes at Divine Right - we have a very good chance at building it because it cannot be cascaded to, as it first requires a Sheriff's Office in the city. Prebuild a Sheriff somewhere and we're a lock for the wonder.

I put our reasearch on Divine right for just that reason (we are one turn in on min sci). We can pop it back without to many worries although instead we can just take the new boat with four zerks and sail around the world taking one Danish city at a time while we keep Lund pinned down with a longship and a couple of Zerks. A third age tech would probably go a long way, as will the cash from some of the deals enfing in a couple of turns 33gpt etc...

As for Denmark, they had both techs or I probably could have figured something out with them.

Top Bottom