RBC16 - Sleeveless

Hmm, I thought I saw it there, but I cannot find the save,.I will check on the upload servers to see if the save is stuck there somewhere.

RBC16-1500BC The lean years.

1500BC Short term plans, see if we have food enough and people enough to squeeze a settler out.
Try to keep up with tech deals. It ought to be possible since we have so many contacts.

Load up the save, and discover we already have a settler on the road. Great.
Almost make a mistake in MM of London. London is at size 3, due to grow. It makes 7 spt, and I thought of putting a worker on the lake instead, to make a buck.
However, since London will grow, It is better to get eight shields, and settler due in four. ( I assume the extra worker will get put on the roaded bonus grass. )

IBT: Indians start Oracle, Carthage starts Great Lighthouse.

1475BC As last turn, the people we know are poor and backwards. I am tempted to take the 70 gold of the Indians for Writing though, but I decline.

1450 I realize I am stuck with the decision to settle the small island, and I decide to just use one city.
We have shields enough in London now, so I put the worker on the lake, to make an extra buck the next two turns.

IBT: It was inevitable. Mao comes and 'asks' for Horseback riding. Being the gentle and generous, I acquiesce ( sp ? ). I really do not think we could handle even a small landing, and the time is better spent doing growth stuff.

1425BC Hastings is founded on the island, and put upon a worker.
Well, <insert powerful word of choice> , I did not realize China didn't even have writing. I comfort myself I can at least trade with them, shoudl they discover something.

IBT: I see Carthage sending out a ship with settler and Mercenary. London Completes settler, and I set it on a Barracks, Nottingham completes a worker, and I start up a warrior. I hate to have empty cities, and it feels like the demands come more often when you have empty cities.

1400BC I spot what might be an island to our south, and position our galley so it can reach it next turn.
Carthage has managed to develop Code of Laws. I suspect they will meet Bysans soon now, so I sell Theodora Horseback for her 60 gold.
Aztecs of course also know Code of Laws, but I will not spend all our money getting this tech. Perhaps if Philosophy also had been known, then it would have been a way to get to Republic faster.

IBT: Chinese start pyramids.

1375 I venture out the two tiles I need with the galley, and I spot land. Another island to explore. I suspect we will want a settler down there quite fast.

1350 I ignore the goodyhut with our archer, and advance towards the barbarian village. Ack, there is a horseman in the village. My bad.
Canterbury is founded, and we now have a trade in spices, and the people rejoice. Canterbury starts a granary.
The small island to the south was a really small island just outside the coast of Aztecs.

IBT: Indians start Colossus

1325 Our archer wacks the barbarian warrior, but lose a hit point.

IBT: Chinese start Oracle

1300 India now has 105 gold, so I sell them Horseback for it.

IBT: This is a bit bad. I suspect Carthage dropped off a settler pair on OUR island.
Koreans start Oracle

1275 I send our galley back homewards. Hopefully someone can figure out what we can do with it. I suspect it could be used to transport a settler somewhere a bit faster than if said settler walked there. We have three curraghs out scouting out the map.

IBT: London completes barracks, and I start up another archer.

1250 I do not see any profitable trades, so I will heave to, and leave the wheel for next player.

I would like us to settle the iron as fast as possible, as it is liable to be stolen by the AIs otherwise. The rest of our land is ice and hills, so I do not think the AIs are too interested in those parts.

A nice turn, there. I concur with your thoughts. Everything seems to be on course. Carry on and bring us glory. :cool:

- Sirian

I've got it. I'm sure there are some parts of our ice and hills that the AI would love to get... like the part with oil.

I'll continue down Grimjack's path.

Pre-flight - 1250 AD – Tech-wise the Aztecs and Carthaginians are up CoL, we’re up something on the others. Hopefully, someone will research something we can trade for.

Cities are managed nicely. No changes there. We only have two workers, and no settlers.

We have met everyone but the French. We’ll try and find them. We have three curraughs to use for the search.

Early – Build an archer, a warrior and a worker. Explore a bit. Hannibal builds the Pyramids and Monty builds the Oracle.

1150 BC – China has Construction. With a no two-fer restriction I’m going to have to hope that construction isn’t traded around on the IBT. I buy it from Mao for Writing, 722G & 4gpt.
IBT –The Carthaginians drop off another settler pair in the east.
1125 BC – Korea has currency. Sell Construction to Korea for Currency & 5g.
Sell MM to China and get 644G back.
1100 BC – Raid a barb camp for 25G. Sell Hannibal Currency for CoL & 193G. Can’t seem to find a non-suicidal path to France, doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Just haven’t found it yet.

Late – A Carthaginian settler pair has been walking across our island. I’m following them with two archers. Might be time for a little war. Equip a settler and an archer. Both start heading east. Philosophy is now known by the Carthaginians. We have a nice bankroll for the next tech trader.

After Action: I think the only way to France may be directly south of India. We’re almost to that frozen island in the south.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/RBC16,_1000_BC.SAV

I see it, should be able to play tonight. Hopefully, I can at least get us into the MA....

Are we OK with declaring once Carthage decides where to stop, or do we want to delay a bit more?

We may want the city to grow a bit and then capture it. Have to think about that. We may also want to have a force in the east to capture the other Carthaginian city if it ever grows.

We're only two techs from the MA, philosophy and polytheism.

Bugs made no note of a trade on the IHT, so I’m going to see what I can get. Nevermind, Only Carthage has a tech, Philo, and since they want 500g, I guess I’ll be waiting.

IT – Theo comes demanding CoL. I hate demands, but I bite my tongue this time. Carthage settler builds where it stands.

975 bc (1) – Move units out of Carthage territory, intentionally popping a hut in the process. As expected, it pops barbs, right next to Cirta. Load the settler pair into the galley waiting nearby to go to Sirian’s neon green dot.

IT – I completely forgot about the barb bug. :blush: Instead of attacking Cirta, on barb attacks and kills our vet archer. Byz complete Colossus.

950 bc (2) – Aztecs get Philo, so I swap them Curr for that and 5g. Settler pair unloaded at green dot. Kill a barb flawless with reg archer. MM Canterbury to get granary before growth.

IT – Carthage gives our archer the boot, which allows a barb horse to get to our reg archer.

925 bc (3) – London archer -> archer. Carthage now has Rep, but of course they’re not trading. Coventry founded at green dot. It turns out that the little tundra island is something more than that. I meet a French warrior. I se3nd Joan writing and Math for Poly and 259g. And we win the race to Medieval times. :)

IT – I get to improve the royal cave.

900 bc (4) – Even with 1200+g, 8 gpt, and Poly, Republic is still doubtful. (not that I would have paid it anyhow)

875 bc (5) – We get word of a massive barb uprising near London. Not a good thing with 1200g in the bank. You did let me join to make this even more difficult, right?

850 bc (6) – Canterbury granary – rax.

IT – Our little reg curragh flawlessly defeats two barb galleys, and promotes.

825 bc (7) – Nothing noteworthy.

800 bc (8) – London spear -> settler. It seems the French have a sizable chunk of lan to themselves.

IT – Carthage demands 81g. Fine, just go away.

775 bc (9) – Lit comes in. Really torn on what to research here. Republic is already known, we’ll never get Monarchy first, and the Medieval techs are impossibilities. I set to Republic to at least get a discount whenever we do buy it. Carthage still won’t deal with lit. They got Poly elsewhere. I sell pottery to France for 149g.

750 bc (10) – Again nothing worthwhile.

Recap: Losing the archers was just plain dumb. I also should have made more of an attempt to hunt down the barb camp I knew was hiding in the fog. Two blunders in ten turns, nice average, eh? Our galley is sitting next to London, waiting to transport the settler, but the next likely spot (NW near the game) is where I think the barb camp is. We will have two rax’s done soon, so our cities can hopefully start churning units. Still a nice bankroll for trading. Cirta was founded 1 tile NE of where we wanted to put our city, so we will probably be razing it anyhow.

On to the next better player (Microbe), who, incidentally, went away for a week or so about three days ago, IIRC.

A quick screenie:

Ack, as feared, the stealing AIs stole our iron.

Having archers/horsemen go up against merceneries is not something to look forward to, but it is doable with a lot of artillery support.

If we do go up against Carthage, we better make sure we have at least the Aztecs on our side. They will likely take the brunt of the fighting.

Good trades there.

Grimjack

Good job finding France.

Our last dot map really doesn't have us grabbing the iron (excuse me, the white dot does.)

We could settle one tile south of the iron. Or would that be sewing sleeves on our cape?

The AI has a few sleeves of its own, including stupid pet tricks like beelining to the heart of our land mass to poach resources. That would be fine if it could SEE the resources and the move could make sense, but this is just code logic in force. Soren took a shortcut with the AI here, which works out fine for short term gaming but starts to get old when the AI is so singlemindedly predictable that we all knew what it was doing when it landed that settler on our land mass.

I'm of a mind to kick the bastards off our land and take their city, but what do we NEED iron for? Iron-based units or factory/rails. If these things can wait a bit, then perhaps so can taking the city. We might even flip it.

What threat does that city pose to us in the short term? Not all that much, I'm thinking. It's just a thorn in our side. Let's not let it reshape our game plan unnecessarily.

- Sirian

Hard to argue with that logic.

Since Microbe may be on holiday, me thinks the logic master may be up.

Indeed. Microbe just missed his turn in the bad apple game, so it would seem that he is still away. He's generally not one to miss a turn in anything, and I think he is especially enjoying that game.

I'm up? Oof. Maybe I can slip this in, but there's a chance I may not be able to before Wednesday. I'll see what I can do. If Microbe comes available and I haven't posted "got it" he should take it.

- Sirian

I was told by Microbe for LK72 - (vacation Aug 25 to Sep 1)

I'm finally free to play this one, but since Microbe will be available tomorrow I'll wait for him. Sorry guys for the hiccup in our continuity. Entirely my doing. But we'll have the game back on track here shortly. :cool:

- Sirian

Top Bottom