rbd23 - a

I would suggest this for Berlin, we place the first city next to it with the lowest potential. Abandon Berlin (letting its misery go to the new city, and then we would only have the 12 cities and wouldn't have to worry about the overlap. I would suggest moving to Monarchy first to avoid further whip penalties when doing this.

We also need to build at least two more galleys and become the trade brokers on the map. We need the other civs asap.

The reason I suggest leaving Berlin how it is is precisely because of the unhappiness. We will essentially be using 12 cities, with Berlin only existing to boost our entertainer score. Remember that this game is about score. EVENTUALLY Berlin will be useable. But not yet, and until then, we should reguard it as unusable and not even there.

Canal city may be better where you had it originally as it will allow us to cross there and make others go around. If we are in the middle of things it could be important. Our ships will be able to attack faster, and move to saftey faster. Moving it one over will allow better coverage, but I don't think that the city will be a power house any time soon. The important thing is to fish for a great leader and get the FP going asap. We need to find an island that is shared by two like we had with German and pick a side. Then our allies can bare the brunt of the war will we p[ick fights to maximize the cahnce for a great leader and to get resources. It looks pretty slim for us to have all of the resources we are going to need if we are going to win this one.

Never mind, "A" is really losing the number of post war.
Of course, what really counts - WHO wins.

OK, got it.

If I put a city on the mine it will still be a canal, won't it? It's got sea on both sides.

150BC
A new leader has arisen by the simple means of walking up to the members of the cabinet and shooting them. They never did anything, anyway.
“OK, everyone,” the freedom fighter says “ now speed is the watchword. Do as I say, not like I do. Hurry.” He waves his gun ( or is it crossbow? Just a bow? What age are we in?) pointedly.
“Next on the list: Mathematics.”
“But we have discovered this already, uh, sir.”
“Yes? Let’s go through this together. How many cities do we want?”
“Uh, twelve, sir. Or maybe thirteen?”
“Exactly. And when we count our cities, Hamburg and those horribly dense blue dots, what do we get? Come on. 6+1+8 equals...?”
“Uh, Fifteen? Sir!”
“Wonderful. So scratch a few dots. We’ll...No! New plans, new plans! We want score, right?”
“Ri–”
“And everyone knows that score=territory+population-time, roughly. So what we do is we squeeze in as many cities as possible, build a huge army and try to dominate the world as quickly as possible. So, have a city build a harbor for unsinkable ships [titanic theme plays in background] and have the others train settlers.”
“But sir, we’re doing that already”
“What? Then what did I shoot the other leaders for?”
“Uh, I don’t know, sir.”

130 BC
“Why didn’t you tell me we already had a ship?” the new leader roars “Did I have to wait TWENTY YEARS to find out?” He shoots an advisor at random. “OK, let’s go visit our soon-to-be-extinct green neighbors.” He looks at the ship and counts the hit points on his fingers. “And the next ship had better be unsinkable!”
The advisors come with a report.
“Sir, the green ones call themselves the Aztecs. They are quite inferior technologically. The only techs they have that we don’t are Mysticism, Philosophy, Code of laws, Horseback riding and Construction.”
“That’s a relief. We’ll amputate their pathetic tech lead when they pay us all their discoveries to spare their last city. Then we’ll capture their last city.”
“Yes, sir.”
“But first we need to know which city that is. We need their territory map. Sell them contact with the Germans. They’ll be gone in another century or so anyway.”
“Yes, sir. And for our world map and 20 gold they will sell us horseback riding and mysticism.”
“Do it. They will not concern themselves of our lands when we invade theirs. And the gold will be...liberated.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Aha! Nine cities ripe for the taking. Next let’s meet our yellow neighbor and trick him also into revealing his cities.”
“Yes, sir. And the Aztecs let slip some hints about how to construct large buildings. We should be able to figure it out in only twenty years”

110BC
“Sir, we have discovered the secrets of construction.”
“Took you long enough. Look into this thing called Literature. We need some SF.”
“Huh? I mean, excuse me, sir?”
“Never mind.”
“Yes, sir. I mean, no sir, I won’t.”

90BC
“Sir, a harbor is complete.”
“What are you waiting for? Builds ships!”
“Yes, sir”
“I just love it when you say that.”
“Yes, sir.”

70BC
“Sir, the Aztecs have a ship of their own!”
“So? We shall sink it, eventually.”
“Yes, sir. We have also trained a settler.”
“Well, settle a blue dot, then. Eenie, meenie, miney...”
“Yes, sir. The yellow people are the Zulus, sir. Do you want another map?”
“Of course. See if we can get a tech, too.”
“Yes, sir. Code of laws is possible, sir.”
“See to it, then.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Another nine fine sweets, courtesy of the jellies. Our friend jelly-belly Shaka will wake up one day to find his military outnumbered.”
“Yes, sir. We have destroyed the fledgling Germans, sir”
“Good. Carry on.”
“Yes, sir.”

50BC
“Sir, the people wants to build another floor on your palace to honor your defeat of the unworthy Germans.”
“Tell them to make a garden instead. I’m tired of tripping over rocks every time I go down to the mall.”
“Yes, sir. We also have more settlers.”
“Settle them, then. Must I tell you everything?”
“Yes, sir.”

30BC
“Sir, the Yellows have founded another city!”
“So, they seek to confuse us, but in reality they only create more jelly-babies to be savored when the time is right.”
“Yes, sir.”

10BC
“Sir, the people of the green have been moving their boat in our waters, but we have built another boat of our own. Shall we press the attack?”
“All in its proper time. Be patient. And don’t say so much at once. I wan’t to comment and hear you say ‘Yes, sir’ more often.”
“Yes, sir. We have founded the city of Satsuma.”
“Good. Keep it up.”
“Yes sir.”

10AD
“Sir, our people want to build the Forbidden Palace. Maybe we should...”
“And maybe we shouldn’t. If we conquer everything, do we want two palaces in our homeland?”
“No, sir. Sir, the granary in Tokyo is complete.”
“What for? Oh forget it, just build a harbor so they can actually use it.”
“Yes, sir. We have also founded Kagoshima.”
“ Good, good. Keep on settling.”
“Yes, sir.”

“Uh, sir?”
“What is it?”
“A boy was born about ten years ago. Some say he is a messiah.”
“Kill him. He might give rise to monotheism. The people are not ready for that. Not to mention how much damage a religion of peace, love and understanding could prove to our long-range plans.”
“Yes, sir.”

30AD
“Sir, Kyoto does not have the sanitation it needs to support a larger population. It needs the Aqueduct improvement. Kyoto is currently working on Galley, shall we switch to Aqueduct?”
“Let Kyoto complete its Galley, then start the Aqueduct.”
“Yes, sir. Sir, the people applaud your decision and offer to improve you palace again.”
“How generous. Ha-“
“Yes, sir.”
“Shut up! Ha-“
“Yes, sir.”
“SHUT UP! Have them install another floor, the harem is getting crowded.”
“Yes, sir. We have landed a swordsman next to a barbarian encampment, and our second galley has spotted a Vandal pirate.”
“Kill them. Don’t say ‘Yes, sir’”
“Yes, si-“
“Gotcha.”
“Yes, sir.”

50AD
“Sir, we defeated the pirates and two of the barbarians, but there are more.”
“Defeat them too, then.”
“Yes, sir. We have also found an poo-brown civilization to the north. They call themselves the Russians. They don’t know any tech we don’t, and they are unaware of the existence of the Aztecs and the Jellies. ... Uh, sir?”
“Yes, advisor?”
“If you called the yellow people ‘jellies’, what will you call the poo-brown people?”
“That is for me to know and for you to find out.”
“Yes, sir. Orders, sir?”
“See if you can sell communications with the pooh-bears to the Azzies and the Jellies, will you.”
“Yes, sir. We got philosophy and polytheism and some spare change. And we traded world maps with the Fat Lady and got some pocket money.”
“Another eight conveniently close pieces of lebensraum. How nice.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Was that all?”
“Not quite, sir. There is also...this.”
“Hey, stop pointing that bow at me!”
“No, sir.”

Thus ended the moderately glorious reign of Tom Peng Pung, Emperor of Japan.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/rbd23a-50ad.zip

Nice short summary here. I am amazed at how little defence we have. Some cities have a single warrior, a couple have absolutely no defence! At all! :eek::confused: Also started moving some swordsman towards the coast nearest the zulus. I nominate them as first target, cos they have fairly fertile lands, and the 'jellies' (heh) are annoying.

Discovered Literature, started Currency. The 'Pooh-bears' (heh) began both the Great Lighthouse and the Great Wall during my turns. The jellies are building the Great Wall.

Got a total of 50 gold from a couple of barb camps. One of our galleys is now elite. It truly is invincible. :D

Forgot to mention that I founded Nara on the mine. It is a canal city. I checked this out by bringing up the grid. :)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/rbd23a-250AD.zip

And thats about it.

Umm... shouldn't I have it smegged?

Not a big deal - go ahead and go, I'll follow your turn.

- was playing as you posted. Sorry for the delay, I've been rather busy. Wouldn't dare miss the 48hr cutoff though ;)

260AD – Sent the two settlers to the north (former site of German cities). Well done guys on eliminating them. :goodjob: Lots of swordsmen standing around, a couple of galleys near the homeland would be nice to make life miserable for the Zulus (soon enough) Are we going to decide on a strategy for victory? The obvious choice would be military, and possibly the right one. We very well could, after getting samurai, walk over the opposition, as long as the homeland is secure and stable. With that in mind I thought I’d start laying the groundwork for an invasion of Zululand.

270AD – Satsuma starts work on a temple. One of our galleys defeats a barbarian galley – continues on into unexplored lands.

280AD – Currency discovered, palace improved! We have officially moved into the middle ages. Traded our newest tech to the Russians for Monarchy and 18gp. No one else is offering anything good for it. We start research on Feudalism with an eye toward Chivalry if needed. Kyoto finishes aqueduct and starts on a temple. So much unhappiness!

290AD – The revolution is started!

300AD – Government successfully switched to Monarchy. Persians contacted (They have Immortals) And not much of anything else since they don’t know anyone else. Trade Philosophy and Polytheism for their world map. Traded the Russians contact with the Persians for WM and 107gp. Established embassies with everyone. Rushed the Harbor at Tokyo. Traded contact of Aztecs and Zulu to Persia for 128gp. Now that everyone is acquainted... :rolleyes:

310AD – Tokyo starts a temple. Nagoya founded! Galleys continue on the way home to ferry troop later. Aztecs building Hanging Gardens.

320AD – Nothing eventful.

330AD – Kyoto finishes temple, starts settler for our last city spot on the north coast. Switched all cities that had defensive units of spearman (or better) over to barracks.

340AD – Kagoshima finishes spearman, starts barracks. Ditto Osaka except they start a temple. Loaded up two galleys with our top swordsmen. Upgraded all remaining warriors to swordsmen. Feudalism in 9.

350AD – Zulu are building the Great Wall. Izumo founded!

Notes: I’ve had a change of heart – even though the Zulu are closer, I think the Aztecs are a better first target. After we lock up Samurai would be the best time to go after the Zulu. One – they hooked up their iron and two – it would minimize the advantage of their Impis. With that in mind, I started moving the troops toward the northwest to allow easy transport across the channel. I think the next leader should start the war with the Aztecs, but please, avoid whipping cities if at all possible! (especially Kyoto) It really is our best city and needs the production it can provide.

Good Luck!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/rbd23a-350AD.zip

:satan:
I am allowed to read this now...
We FINISHED our game ;)

Inherited turn - I notice that Mr X-man has some incence available for trade. I also notice that he has Monotheism. So I trade Silks and Spiced to him for Monotheism, Incence and 75 gold. I also notice that we are only beating Germany in terms of Score :p. It seems that everybody else is to stupid to build harbours. Looks like we will have to show them the mighty Japanese Samuri arts instead of trading with them. I also notice that we are a bit thin on the defensive and cultural side of things.

Therefore, priorities for these turns are as follows: Get at least a temple in every city, and get at least one spear in every city. Finally I'd like to found the last couple of cities.

I rearrange Kyoto so that it gets one more commerce per turn without losing production. I'd love to be able to whip a couple of temples/granaries at this stage. But alas, we've lost our unproductive government.

I start the Great wall in Kyoto. It may be vetoed by the next leader.

I declare war on the worthless Aztecs. We unload three Elite swords next to Teotihuacan, and a vet sword.

We capture Teotihuacan!

We lose the great wall and cascade to Sun Tsus.

I sue for peace with the Aztecs so that we can consolidate our two cities over there. And so I can save an elite sword who will be butchered next turn otherwise.

I have a lot of pikes building, and I just finished upgrading all of our pikes (which will all need to be refortified next turn. Nagasaki doesn't yet have a defender - it would be a good idea to give it one. Don't forget to connect the wines at teotihuacan, since that will give us another luxury (pointless without markets, but they will be coming in the next infrastructure push (since we have twenty turns of peace with Aztecs, now would be a good time to make one - consider changing from Sun Tsu to a marketplace - ultimately it may be a better investment).

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/rbd23-a-450AD.zip

We currently have a two tech lead. This is mainly due to the Colossus. The more I think about it, the more it occurs to me that we should be building libraries and marketplaces in Kyoto. We could REALLY use the extra trade to get far beyond any of our opponents.

I am out of town on business until Thursday late. In the interest of keeping this game moving, I would suggest you skip me this turn and I will pick back up with the next round.

Top Bottom