RBO- OSG4 - Belligerent Bears with Beams

Final war sharing tech won't save the AIs at this point. Sharing tech is good for a quick boost to the AIs to start with but the real effects take some time to materialize -- they need to build up infrastructure to take advantage of everyone getting the AIs' best terraforming and RC techs, for instance, and until they do they won't be able to field expensive high-tech ships at any kind of reasonable rate. Since none of the AIs can penetrate our planetary shields and Antidote techs, it's just a matter of picking the weak planets to invade and weakening the AIs where we can. Also, the AIs only share advances, not RPs. Militarily speaking we want to pick on the Silicoids and Sakkra now, and leave the small fry who can't research anything useful or field a credible opposing force alone.

2442: Designed the Mek 4.0:
Heh, according to my naming convention that should have been the Mek 3.1 since it still had sublight engines. ;) Otherwise, looks good.

Not much threat there, esp as Ajax has 22 bases.
That's quite the stack of bases. ;) I don't think we'll be needing more anytime soon. Hopefully we can keep planetary defense maintenance costs to 5% of our economy or less.

I've found that making huge jumps in tech, like Class III the VII here isn't very useful, as the new shields often cannot fit on ships without sufficient tech level to miniaturize them. Comments?
Hmm, larges and huges can always fit really big shields, and that's where they do the most good anyway. Of course higher overall tech level is better for miniaturizing lower level shields, plus we may get opportunities to steal lower level shields through ground invasions, as we did at Draconis. The difference between class IV and class V is not so great as to justify spending RP on Class V shields. I personally would have gone for the top-end shield.

Zed-F said:
The difference between class IV and class V is not so great as to justify spending RP on Class V shields.

The gropo steal of Class IV came after I made the tech decision, so the jump was Class III to Class V. Not that probably matters to your arguement :crazyeye:

Zed-F said:
That's quite the stack of bases. ;)

That's the only world with a stack. Being our principal shipyard on the doorstep of the Silicoids, I felt it warranted the protection. Most planets have only 1-4 bases behind those Class X shields.

Zed-F said:
Heh, according to my naming convention that should have been the Mek 3.1 since it still had sublight engines.

Oops, I thought your naming convention was along the lines of version numbers :blush: You can change it when you design our Heavy Phasor planet-buster :D

Yes, version numbers, but the major release number is reserved for new engine techs. Any other refinements get sub-releases only. ;)

I'm not going to have time to finish this one unfortunately--My cousin's wedding is this weekend and finding time to play has gotten to be impossible. Luckily I'm out of weddings until mayish. What is it with everyone you know getting married at the same time. Sheesh

This will have to be a very quick set of turns as I don't have much time. I want to start spying on these bozos so we can steal all the AI tech they've just spread around. For our own research, I would like to get Ion Drives ASAP since sublights are just too slow for more than border skirmishes. I adjust tech spending accordingly. It looks like we really need more computer tech too; RC IV is about to come in, and hopefully we can steal some as well. Our military is all huges, which is probably not the best, but we need phasors for a boat that can do damage to planets anyway. I think it's time to stop production for now and build up our reserve so we can build some better ships faster when the time comes.

Quick summary: We get RC IV. We get several techs from invading Romulas and Thrax, including Improved Space Scanner, RC IV, Shield V, and a bunch of other stuff. We start researching Shield VII and ECM Jammer V. Later on we finish researching Ion drives and Phasors and I design a new gunship, Phaze 6.0. I start producing them at our Ultrarich worlds. Meanwhile, we also research Terraforming +50, and I start growing up pop as well as building the facs from RC IV. So in general things are humming along fairly well. I didn't initiate any new attacks since everywhere else has shields our older ships can't penetrate, but a couple of our new fast gunships should be ready to start things moving again now.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/rbo_osg4_2460.zip

I hope that's the right file! I'm in a bit of a rush... :)

Sounds like a productive set of turns. That's quite the tech haul from the invasions.

Therlun, you're up.

dathon78 said:
Sounds like a productive set of turns. That's quite the tech haul from the invasions.
Yes, a few decent techs, and several crap ones. The most important was Improved Scanner as we were already at 10% on RC IV. Class V shields saved us a bunch of RP though.

im on it.

lets see how i can ruin... ehh i mean win this game for us. :p

731 years in the future....

We finished the reconstruction of the data we found in the ruins of the moon called Ghendos (callsign "moon-07/04/barracos").
Although we are not entirely sure we assume it dates back to the conflict called "Final War".
[sidenote: the Bulrathi fought the combined might of the other races in the cluster for domination]

Unfortunately most of the data is lost...
Here is an extract from the most intact part:

....decided for terraforming +60.we already know +50 but researching +40 just for the technolgy level is considered inefficient. It cost half as much... ...hnology... cost in the past....

.... new "improved factories-Type 4" in sector 15 are defunct.
Top-notch technolgy not working. What a surprise!
I heared the Research Ministry now support scientists working on an alloy calld Andrium that could proove very usefu...will supp... reduce the mailfunctions in modern heavy industries.
They sheduled back "Improved Industries-Type 3" for it.
I wonder who had the idea to name that factory types backwards anyway?
I wonder .... friend ...

.... successful spying on Silicoids and Meklar. However the data prooved to be of limited.....

.... probe attack on Meklon. .....heavy damage from missiles and.... reatreated before taking heavy losses.
New design considered, with increased missile defense and .... streaming device for planetary attacks. The automated repair system was removed as ....

That is all we could get from the data-artifact, except the following two datablocks, which we do not know the exact use of yet:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

save

i desinged a new ship as i found the current one not too useful.
automated repair is no immideate need for as IMO as we can easiely produce greater number of ships and loosing one wont hurt us that much, but the advance of planetary defense of the ai could (and IMO will) speed up...
the streaming weapon will anlarge our planet and fleet fighting capability.

i timed the production so that the first ships of my design are finished in the next turn. (except one that got done too early :mischief: )
so if my follower dont like it he does not need to use it.
we already have three design with a few ships each...

Got it, will play Sunday evening (hopefully) as this weekend is going to be a little busy.

Ok, so I lied. I had time for 10 quick turns while my girlfriend was playing PS2 :mischief:

Noticed that Andrium Armor, ECM VI, HEF, and plasma cannons were all close to popping, so I placed all non-rich planets on research; the rich worlds continued producing Phaze 6.0's, as their auto repair will make them useful as a garrison ship. Speaking of garrisons, remember that Thrax and Dunatis are in a nebula, and as such cannot hide behind planetary shields; they will need actual defenses while they are the front. I mention this because a Meklar contingent probably would have overrun Dunatis if I hadn't added some bases and diverted ships from Andoria.

Accidentally built 6 Mek 3.0's when I scrapped the Doomteddy design [pimp]

+60 popped on my turn, and I took a couple years to max all of our planets; chose +80 over Advanced Eco. Other tech choices were pulse phasors, IIT3, and BC VIII. HEF never did pop on my turn, and now Class IX, Pulse Phasors, and IIT 3 are getting close. As Alan said he had a busy weekend, Zed will have to decide what techs (if any) after HEF to wait on.

Gion rebelled in 2477. I send in 82 troops from 2 worlds against 60 rebels, and lose with 19 traitors surviving. :mad: Next round of 40 did it, but that was highly annoying. We stole Hyper V from the Sakkra.

Zed's up, or Alan if Zed can't get to it this weekend.

Save File

-dathon

i dont know why you all like auto repair that much.

against small fleets it is only of limited use, perhaps saving a single huge... no great loss imo.
in a REAL fight it wont do much besided taking up space.
the ion stream on the other side effeciently reduces the strength of planets and fleet-stacks of any size....

For some reason, the uploads won't work right now, so you'll have to content yourself with the description until I can get the file and image up.

2480: Security spending is a waste of cash. I turn it off and boost spying. Our best way of improving our security is through acqusition of computer tech, not throwing thousands of BC out the window every turn.

Why are we not attacking? I guess I will find out. Let's go on the offense here. The best AI missle is Merculite Missles, which don't sound too scary to me. If we lose a couple ships - oh well. We're spending a fair amount of ship maintenance anyway. As far as why Auto-repair -- I find it is quite useful if you pick your targets well and don't go in somewhere where you will be hopelessly outgunned. I agree that Ion Projectors could be useful. However, HEF is just around the corner...

I send off fleets to attack at Rigel, Guradas, Toranor, and Nitzer.

2481: All 4 fleets kick their butts, though I have to do some fancy maneuvering using asteroids to thin out the missle swarms in a couple cases. The AIs are using Scatter Vs against our huges, which isn't exactly netting them a ton of damage. The next huge design will have Class VII shields to prevent even that from being a useful option. HEF comes in and I pick subspace teleporter next; since force fields are about to pop and I want big shields anyway I will wait for that next.

Send in the troops. Choose my next targets: Meklon, Galos, Phyco. I could save Meklon as an additional spy target but I think we will be capturing most of the AI techs shortly so it probably doesn't matter, we're in final war so we don't care about Extermination diplo hits, and it's relatively close to home so we can invade more easily.

2482: Capture Guradas, Toranor, and Nitzer. Steal a bunch of tech. Life is good. Need more troops as Meklon, Galos, and Phyco all are successfully assaulted, though I nearly lose a ship at Phyco due to lack of asteroids to hide behind. Automated repair is, as usual, more than proving its worth. Battles are going on for 30-40 turns as I slowly whittle down the enemy bases. Without Auto-repair, my fleet would be whittled down as well and would ultimately die long before finishing polishing off the bases. With it, judicious use of asteroids, and knowing when to withdraw and repair and when to attack, my fleet has so far proved invulnerable rather than toasty (as would have been the case otherwise.) They have absorbed several times their own total stack size in hits of damage using this special.

Attack Tyr and Cryslon.

2483: Our ships win at Tyr but are forced to retreat at Cryslon due to too many bases and no asteroids. We get Class IX shields and capture some tech from Rigel and Phyco.

Designed a new huge, Phaze 6.1. I could have put HEF on it but I didn't really see a lot of point. I put Class VI shields on so we could ignore scatter packs and replaced the Repulsor Beam with the Ion Stream Projector. We have enough ships out there that we don't really need to worry about enemy smalls and the like. Send troops on the way to Tyr and Galos. We are slowing down (inevitably) due to lack of troops with which to capture more worlds.

2484: Capture Meklon but no tech as we have it all already. Otherwise a dull turn in which not much happens as I wait for troops to arrive. Destroy Collassa, a poor world with no factories and useless to hold.

2485: Capture Galos and Tyr. We are ready for a new round of invasions. Our fleet sets forth to provide targets and we pre-ship troops to a couple worlds courtesy of advanced scanners. Imra (Ultrarich), Arietis (Poor but with lots of facs) and Cryslon are on the blocks.

2486: First combat trial of Phaze 6.1 at Cryslon. It destroys everything by itself with no asteroids to hide behind. Verdit: success. 2 More sent to Keeta and Sssla. Cryslon fleet moves to Vega (ultra-rich) while Phyco, Nitzer, and Toranor supply troops. Stalaz destroyed.

2487: Arietis and Cryslon captured. Vega bases destroyed, fleet moves to Incedius. Invasion force and fleet sent to Talas from Arietis. Bootis destroyed.

2488: Vega captured. Bases at Incedius destroyed. Keeta bases destroyed. Phaze 6.1s move to Ukko and Anraq. Running out of Phaze 6.0s for garrison work in former Silicoid space, but that's ok. Vote is due soon & we should be able to win by 2/3 vote. A large Sakkra fleet is moving on Arietis. Though largely obsolescent, it looks like the Sakkra could be a bit of a sticky wicket simply due to its sheer size. There are stacks of 20-30 huges and thousands of smalls roaming about. The smalls have Hyper-X rockets so can definitely pose a threat to our older ships, and possibly even our new one since I didn't go with the biggest possible shield.

2489: Phaze 6.1 attempts to brave massed Silicoid fleet at Ukko and is destroyed. Phase 6.1 at Anraq has better luck. Arietis destroyed by massed Sakkra fleet.

2490: More general mayhem, we capture Imra (Ultrarich) and Incedius.

Advice to next player: Keep pushing if you like. Note that the Silicoids and the Sakkra do have fleets concentrated and that you cannot push through them with the ships on hand; go around them instead. Keep allocating funds to new planets from the reserves; I have a couple planets on reserve pumping expressly for that purpose. Our navy is starting to get a bit thin. It might be time to scrap those Mek 3.0s and build a new design; we just picked up Pulse Phasors so a phasor gunboat for taking out enemy ships might be possible. Or whatever you feel like. With the planets we have now built up we should be close to winning a vote, but you can always beat down whatever enemy worlds are in range or capture them to do the trick. A sufficiently large stack of modern huges (3+) is a glass-maker with a turn or two of bombardment. If you want to build more ships for this purpose (we are getting spread a bit thin) then use our new ultrariches for the purpose, such as Vega in the south which should be ready for such duty next turn. Even at warp 6, crossing 3/4 of the galaxy to get to a fight is a pain, and we need our backline worlds to be pumping reserves.

Zed-F said:
Why are we not attacking?

Because I'm too conservative :p I usually take the line of waiting until I have decisive force to strike, and making sure I have ships on the front for defensive purposes before pressing ahead. Reading your last report shows me that I need to be more aggressive. Probably would have netted me a better score in Imp 8 :blush: :sad:

Therlun, you're up; lead our empire to greatness :king: :hammer:

uh? im up again?
ok then... :)
will be tomorow. "the untouchable" is running right now :)

Top Bottom