Rbw2 - Angry Korea Man

Blake

The AI Guy
ANGRY KOREA MAN!

If you are a avid (rabid?) Warcraft 3 player, you may know of a player named ANGRY_KOREA_MAN (AKM). Now AKM is infamous for two things, firstly and very appropriately, the fact that he always plays a "Variant" his playstyle is unconventional to say the least. He shuns the popular heroes and unit mixes, in fact he refuses to use Footmen, the basic human unit, always immediately teching to advanced spellcasters and siege units. It is most daring to play a variant in a competitive multiplayer game all about optimizing cookie-cutter strats.

The second thing AKM is infamous for is being ANGRY. Whenever anyone tries to talk to him in a game he either ignores them or says SHUT UP I HATE YOU, repeating SHUT UP I HATE YOU until they cease trying to communicate.

Leader:
We play as Wang Kon of KOREA, obviously! He is Financial/Protective and starts with Mining and Mysticism. And he's Angry.

Variant:
We are ANGRY! In fact we hate the first Civ we meet so much, that we must immediately declare war on them and never make peace!
We also hate America. Technically we hate a lot of things, but America is right up there on the list. We don't have to immediately declare war on America (unless they are the first CIV we meet :p) but we may never make positive deals with them.
Being generally angry is encouraged!

This game has another Variant - we are unconventional and may not train any Melee units except Warriors! For any normal CIV this would nearly by crippling, but Wangkon is Protective so gets enhanced Archers and Gunpowder units, he also has the Hwacha UU which fulfills the role of Axemen!

Settings:
This game is for testing Better AI under conditions I don't usually play, the settings are:
Continents, low sea level, temperate climate.
Civ count has been increased from 9 to 13.
Aggressive AI is ON. We aren't the only ones who are Angry!

This SG is to be played with the Better AI 1/8 version with new Handicap settings - it will be played as a mod. Now I could make you set this up manually, but instead you can simply unzip this zip into your Warlords\MODS folder to get the correctly named and configured Better AI mod folder for this SG. For those who are new to playing with Mods, if you load a save it will automatically load the required mod - no fuss.

Roster:
1 Blake
2 Swiss Pauli
3 sunrise089
4 Ruff_Hi
5 Atlas
6 Iainuki

Reserve:
Kodii

This is our start:

Oh yeah we hate those start point Gods, but we don't hate freshwater rice so it'll do! (it was the first one I rolled)

The plan will likely be moving to the Plains Hill and pursuing a religion. As a side note we get bonus points for founding Conf because that's the religion of Korea. But for now Buddhism will have to do.

I HATE BEING A RESERVE! :lol:

No, I'm kidding, and checking in if I even need to. :)

EDIT: To be more correct, the Koreans are mainly Buddhist. In the South, Christianity is also very wide-spread. A lot of Confucianism is tied into the Buddhist beliefs, but it'd probably come in third after Buddhism and Christianity.

Actually, looking it up on a website, Christianity seems to have the largest influence in the South.

KOREA KOREA KOREA

I start out by sending the warrior north onto the grassland hill, the settler moves onto the Plains Hill. And uh oh what is this, an Oasis... but out of range.

For Financial Korea, an oasis is huge for getting religion. But I want that extra production in the city tile.... hmmm.... I could...

Found on the rice :eek:, +1f in the capital is better than +1h in the capital! Granted we lose out on that +1 extra food from farming the irrigated rice, BUT this move also brought in cows! While I couldn't predict that, it did mean that this was definitely the right move!

Tech is set to Meditation, and despite the move Financial Oasis means that no-one should beat us to Buddhism.

Our warrior, scouting east, sees something and the Anger starts rising - this is not KOREA! But at the end of the turn, a hideous portrait appears on the screen - OMG it is so ugly and stupid - it is an emissary - no - the leader! of some "German" people... it starts trying to communicate and makes friendly gestures... the ANGER cannot be contained!

We are now at war with the Germans :mad:.

The next turn we discover that the Civ that Bismarck took a bullet for is Carthage.

Then we found Buddhism:

The Buddha is not ANGRY!
The Buddha says we should not HATE!

I do not switch to this silly religion :mad:.

We meet an angry little man called Genghis Khan, he is annoyed at us. Yeah well we hate him!

We meet some very angry villagers who want to destroy Korea! Our warrior is angrier! But unfortunately outnumbered :(.

He dies, but he died angry.

We meet a man called Mansa Musa. He is very stupid man. He is stupid like the Buddha. He does not have Korea Anger!

Okay I played 30 turns.
The tech path went : Meditation, Agriculture, Hunting, Animal Husbandry, I am now researching Priesthood, for the Oracle.

Our city is size 4, and will soon be size 5. I trained the worker at size 4. We should be able to build the Oracle, if we so choose, with the cows and the forest plains hills it should not be hard. The oasis should give us enough research to unlock interesting techs. I think we should oracle Code of Laws because Conf is a KOREA religion.

This is our position. We need to get Archery soon, we need Pottery too and probably writing for Conf. There is a very nice floodplain site to the south-east and another to the north-east. There are horses so our no-melee requirement wont hurt much (no horses and no ivory would've been bad). However chariot rushing is not really within the spirit of this variant so don't do it! We can get a few chariots to deal with like barb axemen (I'll make it a rule, we can't have more chariots than we have archers). We should fight our first war of aggression with Hwacha's!

Swiss Pauli is up next! Play either 20 or 15 turns whatever you think would be a better place to stop!

KOREA SAVE 2800BC.

PS. Putting an N on the end of KOREA is chobo, don't do it!

On my fourth turn our scout pops the hut to the south of Seoul:

KOREA! KOREA!

I see a more appropriate tech than Conf to grab: Feudalism. Let's go for the ANGRY KOREA SLINGSHOT!

I'm also in a bit of a dilemma as to where to put the settler who'll be ready in 5 turns. I favour the desert/coast tile, but I'm not a great dotmapper!

I've played nine turns so far, so I do plan on a few more, but it seemed appropriate to break now to get some feedback.

On my fourth turn our scout pops the hut to the south of Seoul:

KOREA! KOREA!
KOREA! :eek:

While Feudalism would be the smart move, I also feel it'd make it FAR too easy especially since it was a pure diceroll luck move. Longbows + Hwacha's would be impossibly good. So I think we can benefit from HRule (Monarchy + Wines!) but not the techs it unlocks until later in the game...

Your suggested city site on the coast likes good since it has all those wines.

I Hate that Coastal Site, but I REALLY HATE THAT FORESTED PLAINS BECAUSE I HATE EXTRA 2 FLOODPLAINS AND EXTRA WINE

Aside from the hut luck, it was a 'steady as she goes' turnset. Human Barbs were surprisingly absent: I expected some incursions towards the end of my twenty, but not a peep.

SHUT UP GERMAN IDIOT!

This damned fool is almost as bad as that squeaky-voiced German:

There's no hope for you, Roosy. I HATE YOU.

Korea is ANGRY, but Korea is not STUPID:

Glorious Korea!

We hutted another scout and defeated a few animals. Our warrior to the north of Seoul in on sentry duty (not fortified).

Research-wise, I put in a few turns on BW before starting Writing, so the next player should finish that one off as we could do with a whip or three.

The Oracle will complete in the turn after Writing, but I'd still love to claim Feudalism instead of CoL. Our permanent war with Germany makes us prime dogpile candidates and our (potential) land is not that great: huge swathes of forest to the north; desert and tundra to the south. Hwachas are a long way off yet and I wouldn't want to counter a dagger attack from Ghengis with Archers and Chariots!

Go Feudalism and vassalage Longbows. Its very rare that you have the opportunity; make use of what you are given and make it an interesting game for the lurkers. You can always slingshot code-of-laws; you can almost never slingshot feudalism. If you wanted to play a different game or make it hard for yourselves then you should have built a different wonder or none at all. The oracle is very common; use it to nab something uncommon.

2 :commerce: from the peanut gallery.

Genius! Even at this early stage your thread had me laughing out loud repeatedly. :lol:

I'm also very curious to see the new mod in action. Keep up the good work :goodjob:

I Hate that Coastal Site, but I REALLY HATE THAT FORESTED PLAINS BECAUSE I HATE EXTRA 2 FLOODPLAINS AND EXTRA WINE
SHUT UP I HATE YOU! WINES ARE EQUAL AND WE CAN PUT AN CITY ON THE PLAINS HILL TO WORK ONE OF THE 'LOST' FPs (AND OASIS AND MARBLE).

@Lurkers - WHY DO YOU CHEAT. I HATE YOU.

But stepping out of character for a moment, Mansa offered OBs but I declined: couldn't remember if it was allowed in the variant. We should OBs with everyone we can (i.e. not 'USA, USA' and Germany), seeing as our Bhuddism is the only religion around.

lurker's comment: I frelling hate reading this thread. It is to hostile.

SHUT UP I HATE CODE OF LAWS!

I think we should, to use Sirian's phrase, play the hand we're dealt: take Feudalism with the Oracle and go to town with Vassalage protective longbows. If we're worried about the difficulty, maybe we can decide we hate a few more people and go to permawar with them?

SHUT UP I HATE YOU - go the mighty longbow!

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. I HATE LONGBOWS.

Top Bottom