1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Readings and History Books

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by adricv, Jan 18, 2013.

1. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

2. adricv

adricv Chieftain

3. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

I'm a First World War historian, by trade. Just another academic plugging along, and playing Civ when I can. ;)

4. NordicExpanse

NordicExpanse Chieftain

Being a history buff myself, especially of Ancient Rome, I did notice something that is missing from Civilization. While you can develop a reputation, good or bad, one of the main reasons the Roman Empire expanded as far as it did was that the rest of the world, quite frankly, were scared of them. Imagine, forty-thousand men standing on the other side of a thousand-foot wide river building a bridge capable of marching them all across safely IN TEN DAYS. Germania didn't mess with Rome for several generations!
    That fear is missing in Civ. The city states, maybe, but not other civs. Songhai bullied a city state under my protection. I took half of his empire. He did it again. I wiped him out! Along comes Atilla and does the same thing! Sure, I was a warmonger, but it didn't yield as many benefits as one might think. I think we should get a sort of military Golden Age or soemthing. Just my two cents.

5. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

6. Cicero63

Cicero63 Warlord

An excellent book on Harun al Rashid is the book The Caliphs Splendor by Benson Bobrick and a great book on Byzantine, Sassinid, Jewish, and Arabian History is In the Shadow of the Sword by Tom Holland

7. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Prince

8. justinianI

justinianI Chieftain

This isn't for a specific civ or leader, but is a great general survey of political world history. Susan Wise Bauer has started a great series on the whole history of the world. It was supposed to be 4 volumes, but she is extending it (It's the entire world after all!). She has completed the history of the ancient world and of the medieval world The Renaissance World will be completed in the fall. Great books that go chronilogically instead of geographically. They also have short chapters that are surprisingly deep and well researched. I highly recommend them for someone who wants a great overview of mankind and the interconnectedness of civilizations, which has been the general trend in study for world history now.

http://www.amazon.com/The-History-Ancient-World-Earliest/dp/039305974X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z
    http://www.amazon.com/The-History-Medieval-World-Constantine/dp/0393059758/ref=pd_sim_b_1
    http://www.amazon.com/The-History-Renaissance-World-Constantinople/dp/0393059766/ref=pd_sim_b_2

9. justinianI

justinianI Chieftain

Thank you so much for this!!!!!!! I'm a high school World History teacher and these are AMAZING!!! I'm definitely using these for intros/refreshers!!!

10. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

You're Welcome. ;)

11. Hustapha Thool

Hustapha Thool Warlord

Maya:
    A Forest of Kings:
    The Untold Story of the Ancient Maya
    David Freidel, Linda Schele

Popol Vuh: The Definitive Edition of The Mayan Book of The Dawn of Life and The Glories of Gods and Kings
    Dennis Tedlock

12. WChrisMullen

WChrisMullen Warlord

For Rome, Suetonius' The Twelve Caesars is a pretty good ancient source, even if it does kind of read like a tabloid at times. Plutarch's Lives has a good section on Alexander.

13. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

You know, that might just explain his ingame behavior whenever he denounces someone on Turn 6...

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I came here out of the depths of OT and WH following Camikaze's links--last Civ I played seriously was Civ4. But I'd also like to plug our serial book-reading thread in OT: Which book are you reading now?. I've posted some fairly detailed reviews on the nonfiction I've been reading over the past few years.

We are also working on a list of top-recommended history books, I'll copy several of the titles here (unsorted at the moment and might have repeats, sorry 'bout that):

The First World War by Hew Strachan
    Iron Kingdom by Christopher Clark
    Battlecry of Freedom by James McPherson
    1491: New Revelations of America before Columbus by Charles Mann
    China Marches West by Peter Perdue
    Kingdom of Matthias by Paul Johnson
    1493 by Charles Mann
    What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848 by Daniel Howe
    Impending Crisis: America Before the Civil War, 1848-1861 by David Potter
    Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
    John Adams by David McCullough
    Truman by David McCullough
    (actually, anything by David McCullough, one of my favorite authors)
    The Peloponnesian War by Donald Kagan
    The Inheritance of Rome: History of Europe from 400 to 1000 by Chris Wickham
    Facing East from Indian Country: A Native History of Early America by Daniel K. Richter
    The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor
    A People's Tragedy: 1891-1924 by Orlando Figes
    Nature's Metropolis by William Cronon

(Also, this is my subscription post. I have plenty more on my shelf at home to post if people are interested.)

15. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

To repeat Antilogic's post: anything by Hew Strachan is highly recommended. A real pillar in the field. If anyone is interested in the Somme William Philpott's "Bloody Victory" (called "Three Armies on the Somme" in the American version) is also well recommended.

16. Stellarnight

Stellarnight Warlord

Would like to contribute these following two books on my own country:

Singapore
    "Defending the Lion City" Tim Huxley
    "From Third World to First" Lee Kuan Yew

17. adricv

adricv Chieftain

Oh yes, I had forgotten about those. Brilliant books. Beevor in particular is quite spectacular.

18. ArnoldI

ArnoldI When in doubt, go Tradition

For Rio de Janeiro there are too the books "1808" and "1822", both by Laurentino Gomes. Those books make clear to understand the situation of actual Brazil.

19. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Hey, you forgot the barbarians! Didn't you now they can actually be civilized? If not, please read Terry Jones' Barbarians (ISBN 978-0-563-49318-1 or 978-0-563-53916-2).

20. DrunkenRine

DrunkenRine Chieftain

if you want to learn about the greek civilization you should read the ancient greek literature...

Herodot "Histories"
    Thukydides "The Peloponnesian War"
    Xenophon "Anabasis", "Hellenika"

the list could go on and on.

you would never imagine, that the ancient people could tell such thrilling stories, that give you an imagination of how their world used to be.