Recession watch: May

GM and Citigroup have both been dropped from the DOW, replaced by Cisco and Traveler's group.

Do they give any reasoning for Cisco and Traveler's?

That's a tech company, and a company whose main business is insurance. There are bigger, in terms of market cap and revenue, US tech companies out there (Apple, Google) and at least one conglomerate whose main business is insurance that I can think of (Berkshire Hathaway). I don't understand how they choose, seems pretty odd to me.

I don't know, but I'm guessing that both Google and Apple are overvalued, liable to fall in price quite a bit. The DOW weights the absolute value of stock: adding a company with high-priced stock would lead to a LARGE fall of the index if the stock price were to fall. Apple, Google, and especially Berkshire Hathaway are therefore very dangerous to add: a fall of one of these stock even by half could have an effect capable of setting a panic.

There was a reason why many companies (mostly banks) have been kept on that index for so long despite its stock having fell under the $10 limit: further falls will barely move the index. Replacing those with high-priced stock will allow again for large falls...

why do we start a new one of these each month? - we aren't coming near the 1k posts rule.

I don’t mean it in the sense of GM’s stock actually pulling down the DOW because it is/was part of the index, but rather the confidence in the markets would have been non-existent if GM declared – at least according to common wisdom a few months back. GM declaring bankruptcy would have meant the end of the economy as we knew it. I just find it highly ironic that on the day they actually did declare not only was it a non-issue for the markets, but the DOW had one of its better days in recent months.

(and yes – I know that the DOW is not the only (or even a good) indicator of overall economic performance)

Sorry, I misread what you were getting at. I was wrong about when the delisting actually happens anyway so everything I said was moot. (delisting process started today but GM won't actually be pulled from the index until June 8th.)

I didn't think of it before but what innonimatu says 2 posts up makes a lot of sense. GM price is so low, it no longer has a significant effect on the index. So I believe you are right, it's a general confidence builder effect rather than anything happening to GM's stock.

It is a bit ironic now that I think about it from another angle, isn't it?

Who would have guessed a few months back that the Dow would be up over 200 points on the day that GM declared bankruptcy?

By the way, I just saw the american president stating that he "had no interest in running GM" and that GM would continue to be run by "a management team with a track record in American manufacturing that reflects a commitment to innovation and quality". How keeping the same management minus the CEO would fit that description defies reason... And apparently (so the journalist said) he was making that statement to reassure americans.

Are people over there insane or what? I mean, the company just went bankrupt! How can an announcement that the management which led it to bankruptcy will be retained reassure anyone?! And he apparently believes himself capable of running a country or appointing people to run things there, but appointed someone to run a single company inside that country is beyond the ability of his government?

By the way, I just saw the american president stating that he "had no interest in running GM" and that GM would continue to be run by "a management team with a track record in American manufacturing that reflects a commitment to innovation and quality". How keeping the same management minus the CEO would fit that description defies reason... And apparently (so the journalist said) he was making that statement to reassure americans.

Are people over there insane or what? I mean, the company just went bankrupt! How can an announcement that the management which led it to bankruptcy will be retained reassure anyone?! And he apparently believes himself capable of running a country or appointing people to run things there, but appointed someone to run a single company inside that country is beyond the ability of his government?

Now imagine being on the wrong side of trades since March 9th...

I can't resolve how one can be optimistic going forward for anything in the American economy unless theyre stoned out of their mind. The only good news has been second derivative crap (and that's awfully weak) and painted ticker tape courtesy of a full government backstop.

Now imagine being on the wrong side of trades since March 9th...

I can't resolve how one can be optimistic going forward for anything in the American economy unless theyre stoned out of their mind. The only good news has been second derivative crap (and that's awfully weak) and painted ticker tape courtesy of a full government backstop.

Me too. People are falling for a ruse.

And GM wants to keep making SUV's, because it will pay off if gas remains "cheap". Taxpayers have 60%, and UAW 18%, but they want them to "stay out of decision making"

And of course the article I just read blamed labor costs and perks, not bad management decision, for the meltdown. :mad:

Me too. People are falling for a ruse.

And GM wants to keep making SUV's, because it will pay off if gas remains "cheap". Taxpayers have 60%, and UAW 18%, but they want them to "stay out of decision making"

And of course the article I just read blamed labor costs and perks, not bad management decision, for the meltdown. :mad:

The Fed and Treasury fundamentally believe that this has always been a crisis of liquidity and that if they could grease the skids enough people would get money going again. It's pretty amusing to see how the actions contradict themselves and how credulous media hacks backslide into explanations like "Rising Treasury Yields mean investors have gained an appetite for risk again". If the recovery hinges on low interest rates and affordable credit you sabotage it by changing the price of "risk-free" investments by making them losers in the long term. China laughs at Timmy telling them their investments in Treasuries are safe.

Until the government stops messing with the bond market and stock market and lets us evaluate risk without them holding the hand of private companies, I'm going long oil and that's it.

Also, gas prices might go down soon. Just a feeling. (then again, it might also manifest itself as a reduction in the usual summer price spike.)

I don't buy a significant price change from that for several reasons. The general inelasticity of demand means that future potential production doesn't really effect current demand. Since any supply from those sources are in the future at best, and speculative at worst, you have to consider what other changes of both supply and demand will take place in those time frames. Also, since it is located in a remote and hard to access area, you have to consider all of the choke points on the who journey from under ground to gas tank. And there are a lot of them.

I don't buy a significant price change from that for several reasons. The general inelasticity of demand means that future potential production doesn't really effect current demand. Since any supply from those sources are in the future at best, and speculative at worst, you have to consider what other changes of both supply and demand will take place in those time frames. Also, since it is located in a remote and hard to access area, you have to consider all of the choke points on the who journey from under ground to gas tank. And there are a lot of them.

I'd argue that long term supply and demand don't matter for oil. The value of exchange medium does. When the dollar goes in the toilet relative to commodities and other currencies the price of oil follows suit.

Supply and demand are all that matter. Well that, and artificial restrictions on supply from an uncompetitive market. If the value of the money changes, the value of everything else does as well, including wages. So it's really not an effect of energy costs.

Supply and demand are all that matter. Well that, and artificial restrictions on supply from an uncompetitive market. If the value of the money changes, the value of everything else does as well, including wages. So it's really not an effect of energy costs.

Except the supply of oil is high relative to demand currently yet we're poised to eclipse 100% gain from the lows. At the same time we've seen the dollar's value to other currencies and commodities diminish. And the value of everything else is changing but not necessarily at the same rate or same amount. I don't see where I claimed that other exchange rates remain static to the dollar, but oil changes.

But you have to look at what the US$ is doing in comparison to other currencies. And it's not doing a lot worse, nor have I seen where it's projected to do worse.

But you have to look at what the US$ is doing in comparison to other currencies. And it's not doing a lot worse, nor have I seen where it's projected to do worse.

And it's doing worse in comparison to other currencies since the low in the price of oil. In just the past few days the Euro has passed the Dollar in since the 24th of December. The announcement about America's debt rating would qualify as projecting it to do worse.

I'll worry about it when the time comes. It's still supply and demand an the uncompetitive industry that are the primary problems.

I know this should technically go in some sort of June topic, but I was surprised to learn today that 40% of the world's AA rated banks are in Australia. We only have about a dozen banks all up.

World - You are doing pathetically.

I don't know much about bank ratings, but I do know there is a AAA rating, so I imagine many banks would rather have a AAA rating than a AA. I would like to see a recent listing of which banks are AAA/AA. I tried going to the Moody's website, but it appears I need to register (no thanks).

Note: I am kind of skeptical of the bank ratings. Didn't Citigroup or some other company that just needed a big bailout have a AAA rating until the day the bailout was requested/ordered?

I don't know much about bank ratings, but I do know there is a AAA rating, so I imagine many banks would rather have a AAA rating than a AA. I would like to see a recent listing of which banks are AAA/AA. I tried going to the Moody's website, but it appears I need to register (no thanks).

Note: I am kind of skeptical of the bank ratings. Didn't Citigroup or some other company that just needed a big bailout have a AAA rating until the day the bailout was requested/ordered?

The ratings Agencies are always a day late and a dollar short. The reason banks want higher ratings is that many decisions are made based on that such as where pensions can invest their money, the rate they can get on their bond issues, etc etc.

Rabobank is AAA rated and private. They also sponsored the winner of the Giro d'Italia.

Top Bottom