Reclaim territory from city states?

petermarkab

Chieftain
Is it possible to reclaim territory peacefully from city states (and other civs) via any game mechanism. Eg. in Civ 4 tiles would flip depending on the dominant culture of that tile.

Reason is I have a nice city site but a couple of resources in its sphere have already been claimed by city states and I want them, but peacefully.

regards,

Only one way, place a citadel (Ggeneral great tile improvement) adjacent to the tile in question. Problem is that this has an influential effect just shy of declaring war on them.

^ It's not that bad. 50-100 relations penalty. In BNW, if you're a friend of CS, this will be a temporary issue, and if you are neutral, you are not losing anything anyway.

You can't claim that territory except through a Citadel or conquering the CS, but if you're allies with them, you'll get that resource you're after.

I recently used the GG to get a luxury resource. If early enough in the game, and you're not interested in maintaining a game long alliance with them, then the negative influence with them causes no issue, and will wear off soon enough.

I snagged 2 grasslands and an important luxury for my 2nd city; enough to turn it's location from Fine to Great IMO.

Citadel is the only way to reclaim land without declaring war, unfortunately (I'm surprised they haven't created a mechanic to trade tiles to be honest).

if you're allies with them, you'll get that resource you're after.
Very true and often the best option. However it's noteworthy that there's 2 differences between having the resource in your own territory and having the CS gift it to you:
1.)if it's within 3 rings of a city, you have a good-great tile, and more importantly
2.)you can't trade a resource that a CS gifts to you, which I think is dumb but not enough people concur with me to make this a standardized "fix" in a patch.

Top Bottom