Recruiting for 5-6 player FFA, regular time, days flexible

Cool, let's plan on Wednesday and Friday then.

oob if you're familiar with Google shared calendar and want to set something up for us (for the week after maybe, since we're already sorted for this coming week), go ahead.

Calendar is here: https://www.google.com/calendar/emb...roup.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Auckland

Might end up being easier to do this stuff ad hoc rather than using the calendar, but we'll see how it goes. If you want to be able to edit the calendar, send me your email address so I can add it to the permissions.

I've deviated from my original idea for this, I'm just going to use it to put down the sessions we've agreed on, but use this thread to plan future sessions.

yeah, I think I had a look at it before, on someone else's suggestion. It doesn't really help for timezones, which is the main issue here. Once we have our players for any particular game set, it's easy enough to use the thread.

Hi guys, I got an urgent work assignment today so I might not be able to make it tomorrow, however I'll try my best to be there.

Thanks for the warning, zalta.

I'll be on at the time, in case you do make it. If not, see you Friday.

um, I can be flexible, depends on the others. It would be a shame if we didn't get a 2nd game in this week, though.

oob, will you and rob be on tonight, just in case zalta does make it?

I'll be on tonight, I think Rob will be as I've let him know about it.

If we don't get a game in before Friday then I'll make sure to do Friday. I might not know till shortly beforehand if I'm going out on Friday though.

Can I join this?

Hi vra379971.

You're welcome to join in the next game if the timing works for you. Once this game is finished, I'll link the next set-up thread at the end of this one. It will probably take another week or two, maybe more, before we're setting up another one.

p.s.: the oob is right about the timing. Do you have weekdays free? Or would you only be able to play weekends? Some games we might only run on weekends, if that's all everyone can manage. The start time is always the same.

2nd session done, almost all buildfest. New York fell to the Aztecs and was burned to the ground...on the turn we ended the last session and started on this time.

What are we at, turn 150 or so? the oob is now on top in score, then me, zalta, rob.

Wonders:
Onan: Hagia Sophia, Notre Dame.
rob: great wall (saved Washington from zalta), Chichen Itza, pyramids.
the oob: Oracle, Great Lighthouse, Porcelain Tower.
zalta: might have missed a couple of the above.

Although oob and I have our own continents, our borders are nearly touching over the water.

next session, Monday, usual time.

Impromptu session.

ze oob pulls a nice mass trireme upgrade and bombs the heck out of Timbouctu, taking it from sea with a pike. I try to retake with my mandekalu (sp?) cavs, but from the water, thinking they're amphibious...and maybe they were, but Timbouctu also had my horse, so...they died like flies. Managed not to fold completely by rushing a new military of ranged units and taking down one, almost two of his five Ships of the Line. Also caught his knight trying to sneak past in the water to take another of my cities, but lost my one frigate doing so.

I was unprepared. Serves me right messing around with an attempt at a cultural victory in MP! Fat lot of good my Opera Houses did during the invasion. I was tempted early on by the tradition policy and three free mud pyramid mosques.... Piety is complete. :lol:

The moral: never enter into a fair trade with the English (we'd just abandoned our faithful trading partners the aztecs in favor of English gold to please The King), they'll just want to take what you're trading them. :sad:

Timbouctu was burned to the ground; was around size 12 or so, ouch. Timbouctwo founded some turns later.

Wonders: Rob built Himeji. Someone else built Forbidden Palace--oob or zalta?

On the shared continent, the Aztecs took out Rio, to please their ally Sidon. America also has had a military buildup and is attacking the Aztecs. England's insanely powerful navy has retreated...or at least gone elsewhere...for now.

See you guys Monday. Fun session. Glad it got interesting.

Yes, I built Forbidden Palace. :p I took Rio because I wanted Sugar, it didn't pelase Sidon at all, those greedy bastards.

Hopefully Onan will do a more exhaustive post of the session... quoted from the latest Aztec history books:

The evil American aggressors pressured the Aztecs early on, but the battle lines were kept solid, as the Aztecs had decisive terrain advantage and the gods had wisely not seen fit to provide the Americans with Iron. However, casualties were increasing at an alarming rate in the early stages of the war. However, the glorious Aztec scientists emerged triumphant with new technologies, providing the Aztec armies with brand new rifles, and so the troops took to the fields and took the land initiative against America, wiping out nearly all the gutless American armies, but the unhonourable city of Washington has still proven too hard to take, hindered by the enemy's Great Wall, their Himeji Castle and a Citadel that must be the work of some unholy power. The forever-remembered Aztec great commander Guderian was also captured and executed by cowardly American Minutemen.

Let it not be said that the Aztecs are not supportive of their fellow civilizations threatened by tyranny and imperialism. At some point the Aztecs decided to declare war on England in support of the Songhai who lost yet another city to naval bombardment and unhonourable amphibious commandos. It was evident that the imperialist English pigs would proceed to set their sights on the glorious Aztec nation if the Songhai fell, so the Aztecs reached out their hand to the Songhai and joined their battle against the evil English. The decision was also supported by the fact that the English had apparently allied with the evil Americans, who we were already battling. Escalation of the war was inevitable.

As an opening move the Aztecs valiantly took out a fearsome embarked Knight, but this unfortunately didn't prevent the beautiful Songhai city of Jenne from getting razed by the imperialists. English Ships of the Line also tried to assault the free city of Rio Janeiro in force, but having anticipated that, we had amassed a combination of Trebuchets and Crossbowmen there, as well as the Aztec flagship "Trirefrigate". In fact, Aztec wise men and soothsayers had been urging the nation to build siege machinery against "an evil force" ever since the Classical ages, and their prophecies seemed to have come true at last. After the Aztecs valiantly sank numerous imperialist ships the cowarfly English retreated, but their insidious cowardice won them Rio eventually, so the valorous Aztec forces had to retreat. Soon enough, certain power-hungry individuals were restored to power in Rio, and the English had the insolence of calling it "liberation".

The Aztecs have had two notable naval battles with the English so far. By using clever hit-and-run tactics and their powerful coastal artillery, the Aztecs have managed to sink numerous English Ships of the Line and forced the cowardly English into retreat every time, while losing one valiant Frigate and one unwary Caravel. However, English naval power continues strong and the demonic production of the English may well keep it so.

I don't think I'll manage anything as exhaustive as that wonderfully in-character diatribe. Nice one, zalta.

wonders this last session:

the oob - taj mahal & machu pichu
Onan - Kremlin

zalta has covered events on his continent. Songhai lands were again raided by the tall ships (at least eight of them), and the city of Jenne was lost. We lost 2-3 units as well. Reinforcing the capital and nursing our wounds, we also turned to our scientists. When the time was right a revenge party of five rifles led my General Yamamoto took to the seas, after monitoring the waters between us and England for many turns and seeing little or no activity there. Everything was in place to land all units around York, which was guarded by a pike. However, either oob noticed our troop strength and got worried, or happened to check then--or perhaps, even worse, a stray move trusting to the pathfinding AI gave warning on the enemy's border. Alas, the general himself may have given us away. In any event, we had to retreat our units landing from the south after our sentry caravel was destroyed by three tall ships. The three to the north attempted to land, but were blocked by another Ship of the Line, whose zone of control stopped them short in the sea, where they were bombarded and killed. The general and the others made it back to our lands, though Yamamoto was wounded.

Ajenne was founded some turns later. :p

The peaceful Songhai people are resigned to the seaborne menace; it seems destined to plague us for all our days. We take courage from the valiant resistance of the proud Aztec people. Long may it last!

----

Okay guys, so Friday for our next session, right? If you can't make it then, please post with a suggested alternate day.

Hi vra379971.

You're welcome to join in the next game if the timing works for you. Once this game is finished, I'll link the next set-up thread at the end of this one. It will probably take another week or two, maybe more, before we're setting up another one.

p.s.: the oob is right about the timing. Do you have weekdays free? Or would you only be able to play weekends? Some games we might only run on weekends, if that's all everyone can manage. The start time is always the same.

I might be able to do both weekday/weekends in the near term.

Top Bottom