Religious/Astronomical Events

Civ4Gandalf13

Warlord
Over the years, I have mused many times about inserting some form of religious/astronomical ignorance into certain events in Civilization to make the game more interesting/realistic. Allow me to present several proposed Religious/Astronomical Events to be included in HR.

1) Blazing Comet appears in the sky
A) Ancient/Classical Eras
i) (if player has no state religion) The people think the world is about to end. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4x turns. 25% chance 1x building in each City is destroyed.
ii) (if player has state religion) The current religion is overthrown - a Reformation occurs. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4v turns. Lose 40x Faith Points. 25% chance each religious building is destroyed.
B) Medieval/Renaissance Eras
i) (if player has no state religion) The people think the world is about to end. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4x turns. Country randomly adopts any religion that is currently available to it.
ii) (if player has state religion) The current religion is overthrown - a Reformation occurs. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4x turns. Lose 100x Faith Points. 25% chance each religious building is destroyed. Lose 100x Culture Points.

2) Total Solar Eclipse by the Moon occurs
(i) (if player has no state religion) The people think the world is about to end. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4x turns. 25% chance 1x building in each City is destroyed.
(ii) (if player has State religion) The current religion is overthrown - A Reformation occurs. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4v turns. Lose 50x Faith Points. 25% chance each religious building is destroyed.
i) (if player has no state religion) The people think the world is about to end. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4x turns. Country randomly adopts any religion that is currently available to it.
ii) (if player has state religion) The people think that God’s wrath is descending upon them for their sins. The current religion is overthrown - a Reformation occurs. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-6x turns. Lose 150x Faith Points. 25% chance each religious building is destroyed. Lose 100x Culture Points.

3) Massive Meteor Shower descends upon all Cities of the Country
(i) (if player has no state religion) The people do not know what is happening. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4x turns.
(ii) (if player has State religion) The current religion is overthrown - A Reformation occurs. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4x turns. Lose 10x Faith Points.10% chance each religious building is destroyed. Lose 100x Culture Points.
i) (if player has no state religion) The people think that the evil demons of the Netherworld have come to torment mankind. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-4x turns. Country randomly adopts any religion that is currently available to it. 25% chance 1x building is destroyed after being hit by a meteor.
ii) (if player has state religion) The people think that God’s wrath is descending upon them for their sins. The current religion is overthrown - a Reformation occurs. Chaos erupts in all Cities for 1-6x turns. Lose 150x Faith Points. 25% chance each religious building is destroyed. Lose 100x Culture Points.

4) Witch Trials (occurs only during Medieval Era and where Country has a State religion and City has the State religion) A wave of fear and hysteria sweeps (name of City) after three teenage girls accuse an unpopular woman of witchcraft. Religious authorities have arranged for a large number of trials for witchcraft. The trails that have occurred resulted in eight women being burned at the stake as witches. Your advisors demand something must be done. (Computer provides three options)
a) Take no action. Let the matter resolve itself. 1-10x turns of civil disorder and lose 400x Culture Points. Gain 100x Faith Points.
b) Privately bring pressure against the religious authorities to stop the trials. "Donate" 140x GP to convince them. Lose 140x Culture Points.
c) Publicly denounce the witchcraft trials as the result of superstition and hysteria. Order all trials stopped. Religious leaders are very embarrassed. Receive no Faith Points for 10x turns and the City loses the State religion. Lose 100x Culture Points.

5) Asteroid Strike - small asteroid strikes near a City - 2-8x buildings destroyed in City, leaves huge crater. Any improvements on tile struck are destroyed. In four closest Cities 1x building is destroyed and 1-4x turns of civil disorder in the five Cities. Occurs after the discovery of Astronomy

6) Solar Flare - huge solar flare erupts causing the destruction of all Power Plants, Telephone
Networks, Media Networks, INTERNET, GPS, and all Space Ship production on the side of the World facing the sun (50% chance includes the player’s Country). All satellites are destroyed. Chaos reigns - 1-10x turns of civil disorder. 10% chance for any State religion to be overthrown causing a Reformation to occur. Occurs after the discovery of Electronics.

I think these proposed events would provide much historical color and realism to the game. Also, they would help balance off the "easy" Cultural Victories which have been under discussion.

Thoughts or comments?

Last edited:
Events like these could be quite neat. I've done very little with events in HR so far, too many other priorities. One day.

In the World Builder, there is a screen which lists the various events that can occur in the game. But I cannot figure how this list of events is applied, what is its purpose, etc. I doubt that the programmers placed it there for no reason. I would think that it allows the placement of triggering events for the events listed or allows something else.

Does anyone know the purpose of this list of events in World Builder and how it is used?

In the World Builder, there is a screen which lists the various events that can occur in the game. But I cannot figure how this list of events is applied, what is its purpose, etc. I doubt that the programmers placed it there for no reason. I would think that it allows the placement of triggering events for the events listed or allows something else.

Does anyone know the purpose of this list of events in World Builder and how it is used?

Select the event in the list that you want to trigger. It'll go green. Then hit the big TRIGGER <<EVENT NAME>> button at the top. If nothing happens it means the conditions for that event haven't been met.

Thanks. So there is no mechanism to select the tile where you might want the even to appear - it would just appear randomly?

Thanks. So there is no mechanism to select the tile where you might want the even to appear - it would just appear randomly?

When you first click the Events button in World Builder, it makes you choose a tile on the map before opening the Events Page.

Thanks. It is most unfortunate that there is no users manual with Civ that explains these things. It would make playing the game much easier.

Top Bottom