Religious Struggle?!?

animalguy

Ermahgerd
Has anyone one noticed that post patch there seems to be less competition for religions. I mean its turn 100 in my current game, and only religion has been founded, with about three pantheons!

Disclamer: playing on a standard emperor terra map

I have noticed this too I was the third religion in about 90 turns. First Islam was founded then Christianity, and then founded Judaism like a turn after Christianity and then after that Islam enhanced. It is going faster than expeced.

I discovered that the only reason three religions have been founded by turn 130 is becuase the mayans, celts, and good old stone henge were in the game!

I have only played one post-patch game, but I pretty much rule the world of religion. I found Taoism and go the 30% distance enhancement. I spread to a few cities via a GP, and now my religion is pretty much dominating everyone else.

I was wondering how Dido got her religion back. She had one city, I GP'd it to my religion. Somehow she was able to switch back to hers. How did that work?

I have only played one post-patch game, but I pretty much rule the world of religion. I found Taoism and go the 30% distance enhancement. I spread to a few cities via a GP, and now my religion is pretty much dominating everyone else.

I was wondering how Dido got her religion back. She had one city, I GP'd it to my religion. Somehow she was able to switch back to hers. How did that work?

Holy Cities naturally generate a lot of pressure. The new National Wonder, the Great Temple, also will further increase that.

So far as I know, you just can't totally convert a holy city. Since Dido only had one city, it must be that it's her capital and capitals are holy cities.

While you did it convert it to your religion, it's only temporary.

When you convert holy cities, their religion is still active (though it may seem hidden).

To totally convert an AI's holy city, you need to take the capital, convert with a GP, then use an inquisitor to totally wipe out that religion.

Holy Cities naturally generate a lot of pressure. The new National Wonder, the Great Temple, also will further increase that.

Quick ask - it's probably around somewhere but as I'm here makes sense - is the Great Temple new in the Fall Patch?

I hadn't seen it around before was all.

Quick ask - it's probably around somewhere but as I'm here makes sense - is the Great Temple new in the Fall Patch?

I hadn't seen it around before was all.

Yup, it's new. Requires a temple in all cities, provides +1 culture and +8 faith, doubles city pressure exerted, and must be build in the holy city.

^^Wow--that sounds very powerful. I sure wish they'd hurry up and get the patch out for the Mac.

So far as I know, you just can't totally convert a holy city. Since Dido only had one city, it must be that it's her capital and capitals are holy cities.

While you did it convert it to your religion, it's only temporary.

When you convert holy cities, their religion is still active (though it may seem hidden).

To totally convert an AI's holy city, you need to take the capital, convert with a GP, then use an inquisitor to totally wipe out that religion.

Holy city is always where you found the religion with your first great prophet. It doesn't have to be your capitol.

When you capture an opponent holy city, you need only use an inquisitor of an opposing religion to "convert" the city, and if there is no remaining pressure from surrounding cities, the religion will be "done". You do not need to use a great prophet first.

I agree post-patch the AI has forgotten how to use religion. Even when it founds early, which has been rare except in the obvious cases of Ethiopia, Celts, or the random Hagia Sophia builder, it doesn't work hard enough, in my opinion, to spread it.

^^Thanks for the info on not needing a GP first when taking over a city. I learned something new there. I was using a GP to convert it first, then using an inquisitor.

If I only need an inquisitor, that will save me from having to purchase a GP and wasting time in the future. Thanks :) :)

And, of course, you're right that the capital isn't necessarily the holy city.

Agree with the comments about extinguishing holy city status - you have to capture the city and then use an inquisitor.

I agree post-patch the AI has forgotten how to use religion. Even when it founds early, which has been rare except in the obvious cases of Ethiopia, Celts, or the random Hagia Sophia builder, it doesn't work hard enough, in my opinion, to spread it.

Re this comment, I agree that the AI seems more passive regarding religion in the early game, but by the mid to late game they are spamming out GPrs and missionaries. I've had to buy more defensive inquisitors post-patch than before.

Agree with the comments about extinguishing holy city status - you have to capture the city and then use an inquisitor.

Re this comment, I agree that the AI seems more passive regarding religion in the early game, but by the mid to late game they are spamming out GPrs and missionaries. I've had to buy more defensive inquisitors post-patch than before.

Yes, but that "late-mid" or "early-late" religion push is like "pissing in the wind". I don't always even care about religion and some games I'm kinda "meh religion". When I care about religion I know two important things:
A)If you spread religion early and often, nothing can compete with the massive spread of pressure. There's little to no point to having a religion if it's only going to exist in 1 to 3 cities. May as well just soak bonuses from others' religion spread and save your productivity; instead of shrines, temples and holy wonders, just build military and kill the people who build shrines, temples and holy wonders.
B) except for the obvious 3-5 extra late game great people purchases the real bonuses come as veritable springboards "late-early" and "early-mid": culture points, happiness before the substantial policy happiness bonuses, free units, free healing, use for otherwise semi-useless tiles, etc.

In other words, if you're not "doing religion early", it's pretty pointless and your time is better spent gaining ground in other aspects.

Generallly agree. My only point intended by my post was that the AI seems to be making a dramatic late arrival to the party (however futile and annoying that may be), but are not entirely absent from the religion frolics.

Top Bottom