• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Religious War all I have left?

vengeance1000

Chieftain
This has to be the WEIRDEST game I've ever played (granted this is only my 4th). I start out in a great position with resources and room to expand... or so I thought. I chose continents and normal size, but some how me and 4 other civs all started out sandwiched together. I barely expand and am stuck in between Isabella, the Persians, Russia, and the vikings! I am just stuck right in the middle. I founded Hinduism and quickly spread it to Russia and the Vikings ( they are the top 2 nations, me being the 3rd) while Isabella and the Persians are Jewish ( weird cause she founded Buddhism and switch later game). With bad luck and probally bad city expansion I have NO bronze or iron or horses! Is religious war my my only option?

Please help me out, I am stumped :confused:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 185
I have NO bronze or iron or horses!

:eek: Ouch! Good thing that you have Elephants though!

Research Archery - Warriors are unable to fend off an AI invasion in case you get attacked pre-Construction. Head as quickly as possible to Construction - build Barracks. If you're playing BtS you'll also want to aim to acquire Horseback Riding (now required for War Elephants, Stables), possibly through tech-trade (will require Alphabet) although self-research again is an option.

In the meantime I assume that Memphis' Settler (whip?) is destined for a site somewhere south of Memphis (south west of Arbela). Once you get to Construction, consider flipping from Representation to Police State via The Pyramids. You should probably work with the Vikings (bribe Ragnar into war if he isn't already fighting Isabella) in taking Spain with your War Elephants and Catapults, and then assess whether you want to get rid of Ragnar, or take those annoying Persian cities as the follow-on step. Those Persian cities would probably flip to you in time anyway, but I'd rather take them by force.

WOW! This game has its ups and downs lol.
I followed you advice Cam and then something miraculous happend...
A key Persian city ( one that had iron =D) that was the Christan holy city CULTURED FLIPPED right to me!!! This game is just so much fun, never know whats going to happen!

Lol that's pretty good, getting a holy city by culture-flipping.

You don't get all of your holy-city culture if you choose a state religion other than the religion of the holy city, though. Makes it easier to culture-flip em.

Nice...Suggestion: Try switching to No State, then get Alphabet ASAP. Follow up by grabbing Meditation or another useless tech which AIs love, and start trading like a maniac till Construction is in reach. Once you have construction, target Persia and start spamming War Elephants till you have 30-35. Grab a few key cities, and leave him with one crappy one, while forcing him to give you all his techs for peace. Next, Spam Archers for city protection, then take those experienced War Elephants on a crusade by switching back to Hinduism (by this time, the Christian holy city's culture would've built up), then have Russia and the Vikings join you in declaring on Isabella. Do this for major diplo points. Leave the warring for now until Optics, at which point find the remaining Civs and trade with them.

How do you guys get other Civs to declare war? The "declare war on ..." option is -always- redded out for me. Not once in any game I have played have I ever had the option of clicking on it, and I've had Civ IV since release. EVERY Civ always doesn't like me enough, no matter my strategy or conduct.

How do you guys get other Civs to declare war? The "declare war on ..." option is -always- redded out for me. Not once in any game I have played have I ever had the option of clicking on it, and I've had Civ IV since release. EVERY Civ always doesn't like me enough, no matter my strategy or conduct.

After a certain point, the enemy will choose a "worst enemy". If you traded with them, you get a minus. If you get too many minuses, you become the "worst enemy" instead. Open borders with everyone will eventually backfire when this happens. Trading a tech to every civ will backfire when this happens. Pick and choose who you make friends with. Religion and the leader preferences will give you an idea which leaders to befriend (for example, some leaders like when you adopt hereditary rule, others like when you adopt represenation... know the bonuses you can get, and work with what's in that game).

Congrats on culture flipping a holy city with iron. That is the best.

I am about to load up the game and continue on! This looks to be a very exciting one! I will try out the tips everyone gave me and if anything else happens I'll be back! XD

(btw Isabella is pressing me real hard to convert to Judaism and the Persians are her best friend, so its looking like a good ol' fashion Hindu vs Judaisms)

Top Bottom