1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing buildings - how to?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Lohengrin, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Lohengrin

Lohengrin Chieftain

I am planning on building the Three Gorges Dam once I get Plastics and in preparation I have been increasing the productivity of the target city by building a coal plant. However, I am concerned about the hit on health from the coal plant. Once I have built the Dam and the coal plant is no longer needed, does it still have an unhealthiness effect? If it does, can I get rid of it?

2. Technocactus

Technocactus Lurker

You can't get rid of buildings.

3. Mutineer

Mutineer Chieftain

If city has access to better buildings or effects it will use them.
    So, when you get TGD your coal plans will stop working and there -health effect will dissapear.

You never want to remove building in Civ 4.
    On other hand, if you loose TGD, coal plans will still be there in kick in stright away.

4. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Chieftain

Actually, there is a mod around which I think was called the 'Building Demolisher Mod' which allowed you to do this. You could scrap a building and get a small cash reimbursement. Hope this helps.

Aussie_Lurker.

5. Jaybe

Jaybe Chieftain Supporter

If you have a coal plant and then get hydro (or the 3 Gorges Dam), then you will see that the city (or cities) no longer have the unhealthiness due to the coal plant. So there is no need to remove the coal plant.

6. doomeye

doomeye Chieftain

>You never want to remove building in Civ 4.

Incorrect. When playing a custom extended game that lasts long you would really like to get rid of all the nuclear plants that haven't yet exploded (I've lost around 10 plants to explosion so far...) and taken most of the other buildings (including several national wonders) with them.

D

7. CivDude86

CivDude86 Chieftain

And throw drydocks on that list.

8. T'hain Esh Kelc

T'hain Esh Kelc Chieftain

If you *know* that you are loosing a specific city, you might want to demolish some buildings too..

9. gdgrimm

gdgrimm Chieftain

Does a Nuclear Plant cause a Hydro Plant to stop working, or is it the other way around? And if you get TGD, does that make Nuclear Plants stop working?

10. Way_Traveler

Way_Traveler Chieftain

That would be a bit too unbalanced, I think. You'd never get anything of worth from invading. Isn't war-mongering hard enough as it is?

11. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

How about it takes 5 turns?

12. Andvare

Andvare Chieftain

The almighty worldbuilder.

13. Civfan333

Civfan333 full metal alchemist

Just build a recycling center.;)

14. Milly

Milly Chieftain

Actually, while a recycling center does get rid of the pollution that comes -directly- from buildings, it does not get rid of the unhealthiness that comes from item bonus (mainly oil and coal).

15. iamliberal

iamliberal Chieftain

Yes, this is a GREAT question, does anyone know the answer??? :eek:

just fyi rg the conversation... in old versions of civ, I remember destroying buildings for gold when I expected to lose a city. I think there was a 1 building per turn cap for demolishing. Then again, disbanding cities into 2 settlers was a nice option too... helped provide me with workers to work the land AND helkped my conscience to think I didn't genocide a whole city, I just turned them into workers. :lol:

16. Whoman69

Whoman69 Chieftain

I pretty much don't anyway. I'm invading cities in the 20th century that I need to start from scratch on.

17. krazybastid

krazybastid Chieftain

That is not true I built a nuclear plant while building a coal plant first I still got the 2 hit health negitivity from power. A demolish mod for civ4bts is very necessary like in previos civs and an abandon city mod also would be a good thing for cities you conquer that are to close together and you want to reposition conquered cities. I would like to know the link to demolish buildings mod. I built a coal plant in 1 city to speed up my appolo program. I increased my nuke plant random modifier to a good high number so I never have nuke meltdowns, while heeping somewhat of a realistic perseption of real world nuke plants. So a demolish buildings mod is very necessary and I would like to be pointed in that direction.

18. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Chieftain

All power sources give 2:yuck: from power, using a coal plant makes this 4:yuck:. So yes, the nuke plant did remove the coal plants extra :yuck: in your game.

Also this thread is from 2008 :eek:

19. wazzzuup

wazzzuup track $tar

>Also this thread is from 2008 :eek:

Actually "Dec 03, 2006, 10:19 AM":eek::p:eek:

20. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Necro'd, re-killed, and necro'd again.