Repeated Blunders - Will ever learn?

Turning on the stopcity growing button for a few turns then forgeting to turn it off again when I get Monarchy

Early over expansion - see the thread: "How to get battered on Prince -an idiot's guide."

Being over optimistic when using early axe rushes "I'm sure three axemen will do the trick..what.. oh they're dead, bugger"

Forgetting to switch civics

Adopting slavery then not whipping....

And there's me wondering why I can't beat prince regularly :)

Hi

Mistakes I make LOTS that I never seem to stop doing are

*looking at a stack or a unit and THINKING its selcted so I click to move it and actually something else is selcted so I move the wrong units to the wrong space

*Mixing up cntrl click with alt click and accidentally taking a city's garrison along with the stack leaving a city TOTALLY undefended

*hitting wrong button like settling a GA when I MEANT to click for him to build great work

*mixing up civ colors so invaing germany when I MEANT to invade england and the other way round too hehe

*or if I am playing greeks and I find out I have whipped a HUGE stack of spearmen instead of phalanx cuz I STILL cant tell the diff in thier graphics in build menu grrr

strategy wise worst mistakes I do are

*meandering down tech tree without ANY plan whatsoever sometimes doing techs that I dont need or ignoring or forgetting ones I do need.

*getting too distracted bout the nice shiny wonders so trying to build em all instead of picking and chosing strategically.

*as a side effect of trying to get em all not locating wonders strategically like great light house in this city temple of artemis in that city and collosus in another city instead of locating wonders so they synergize or in city where they would do most good.

*getting mad and going to war because a civ beat me to a wonder a couple of turns before I finished it and that wonder is MINE dang it!!

*going to war with a civ when I really shouldnt and maybe even when it probably would make more sense in that game to make em an ally BUT three games ago that leader backstabbed me and I am STILL ticked at em hehe

*loding and picking up a game I'm in middle of and seeing a stack or unit or something and totally forget what I had in mind for them when I saved the game so I move em or do something with em and THEN remember they were crucially needed somewhere else or anything like that where I mess up plans I had made because I forgot em between time I saved game and restarted

hmm I better just stop or it will go on forever it seems like things I do right would be MUCH quicker than list of things I do wrong hehe.

Kaytie

The thing I seem to do the most often is...

When I have one turn left to research a technology I will turn my research spending to 0% so that I will get an infusion of gold to my treasury, then twenty turns later I will remember to turn it back to normal research spending again. :crazyeye: Gee I thought it was taking a long time to research astronomy.

Also when I am at war whith a civ they will get sometimes get a solitary raider of some type in behind my front lines and I keep forgetting to send someone to kill his ass; he will keep on raiding small improvements or killing the odd worker.

1. Building the Pyramids and then forgetting to switch to Representation until much later.
2. Neglecting to build enough military units.
3. Giving away technologies to maintain/get friendly relations when doing so A) is not necessary and B) will cost you too much. A prime example is being the first to discover Islam (Divine Right) and then, many turns later, giving it away to somebody because you have already built the Spiral Minaret and Versailles. But if the AI gets Divine Right (an expensive technology on a thread of its own), it beelines to Nationalism and then probably builds the Taj Mahal before you manage to finish it. (This has happened to me *twice*, with different civs.)
4. Switching from PR to Vassalage and then forgetting to switch back when I have enough elite units.
5. Switching from Slavery to Caste System too early so I can't whip forges and even wonders.
6. Failing to realize when giving in to the demands of a bully doesn't matter much. ("Give me one of your 5 Dye resources or we'll fight for it!" Well, why not? "Give me 250 of your 400 gold, or else". Sure - cheap at the price. "Give me the secret of Polytheism, which everyone else on our continent discovered ages ago, and now you are all in the Renaissance." Again, why not?) In fact, you may get good relations with aggressive civs that way, and unless they don't matter or you *want* them to attack you, giving in can be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

6. Failing to realize when giving in to the demands of a bully doesn't matter much. ("Give me one of your 5 Dye resources or we'll fight for it!" Well, why not? "Give me 250 of your 400 gold, or else". Sure - cheap at the price. "Give me the secret of Polytheism, which everyone else on our continent discovered ages ago, and now you are all in the Renaissance." Again, why not?) In fact, you may get good relations with aggressive civs that way, and unless they don't matter or you *want* them to attack you, giving in can be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

I have to find some way to beat myself into learning this. My one strong point in this game is research, so I'm always really advanced, but am still too miserly to give the enemy Machinery when I'm in the Industrial and they're in the Renaissance.

1: losing a SoD to a single city

2: forgetting military to build up culture

3: invading a country half way around the world

that's all I got.

Kicking ass, but forgetting to take names.
Taking names, but forgetting to kick ass.
Playing so sloppily, I get my ass handed to me on Monarch, when I really should be playing on Emperor.

1) Not checking for "We have enough on our hands already" and be surprised that I get backstabbed.
2) Losing my first warrior to barbs/animal and building a settler the moment I hit size 2 so my settler tries to plant a city unescorded just to get eaten by a lousy wolf .
3) Forget to change civics at the end of my golden age.
4) Attacking my main rival where i have build a huge load of war weariness with without enough troops to actually break him.

I think we all forget the major mistake leading to all the minor mistakes.

The biggest mistake is forgetting to take a break every (1, 2, 8?) hours!!

When that happens.
1. Forgetting to check for invading army building up.
2. Attacking a city without enough force.
3. forget to switch civic, redistribute espinage point etc.

I think we all forget the major mistake leading to all the minor mistakes.

The biggest mistake is forgetting to take a break every (1, 2, 8?) hours!!

When that happens.
1. Forgetting to check for invading army building up.
2. Attacking a city without enough force.
3. forget to switch civic, redistribute espinage point etc.

My best record was 28 hours straight Civ-playing! I had a huge headach next morning-afternoon. Its like drinking I tell ya

Oh, and here's another one. Discovering Replacable Parts and then letting your workers sit around doing nothing for several turns before you remember to tell them to build sawmills.

Forgetting about the AI " ability " to curve combat math rules to its needings on higher levels.

- expanding reall quickly way to early. i still play like its civ3:D

-draging wars out for way to long because i forget to bring seige to the party or doing 2 wars right after each other

-not building workers fast enough because im still trying to expand and take all of the land that is MINE!!:mad:

*when i'm in a war, all i can think is "build troops" i don't even consider building buildings or micromanaging.

Top Bottom