representation

TVA22

King
This is really something that should have been better addressed in civ3. Basically I want them to make a game about the civilizations of THE WORLD, or market the game differently.

I want wonders, building improvements, and units for different civs, at the very least on a cultural-group basis. Even if they're just flavor items, and they act just like generic ones. Think rise of nations, that game has tons of units, many are the exact same, and perform the same functions, but at least look different from nation to nation. For ideas, they could even look on these message boards, there's enough flavor units here to make a much better game than it was to start with.

I'd even like to see specific tech trees, or at least parts that can be specific. The Chinese developed gunpowder first, and (contrary to what most people say) were the first to put rockets, cannons, and guns into action, yes, for military purposes.

Basically I just want the game to not be so euro-centric. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to have "caravel" replaced with "sampan" or "knight" replaced with "mongol cavalry," rather I just want them to spend as much time developing other civs/cultures as they did on europe in this game. Civ3 would be a great game, if it were only supposed to be about european history.

We ought to be able to play a game about world history, and actually feel like we're playing different civs (not just european ones with a mask on) without having to mod the game extensively, next time.

I'd like to see multiple variations on city improvements as well, and not even limit it to the tribe/cultural group.

For instance, I might only build one temple per city, but I'd like a choice of a variety of temple types reflecting different cultural ideas. It'd wouldn't necessarily be cosmetic, but for instance one temple type could favor generating culture at expense of happiness (e.g. proletyzing), another at generating culture and acting like a barracks at expense of diplomatic reputation (e.g. sacrifice), another generating happiness at expense of culture, etc...

That'd personalize the overall culture of the civ, by which versions where chosen and their net effect.

Polar-culture groups could be possible too. No one civ would own a particular polarity (e.g. Judaism/Christianity/Islam/etc..), but you could polarize a city, or even your whole civ to one such 'world culture' which would influence how another civ would feel about you. The polarity being by building a city improvement/Wonder of that polarity.

I want wonders, building improvements, and units for different civs, at the very least on a cultural-group basis. Even if they're just flavor items, and they act just like generic ones. Think rise of nations, that game has tons of units, many are the exact same, and perform the same functions, but at least look different from nation to nation. For ideas, they could even look on these message boards, there's enough flavor units here to make a much better game than it was to start with.

I'd also like to see the 'Culture War' (culture flipping, and passive border expansion) continued beyond Cathedrals to Religious Crusades/Holy(blank)Emperor, Newspapers, Mass Media, Hollywood, Globalism, and the Internet.

Those things are kind of missing in Civ3, or should be expanded to do something more powerful.

My thoughts exactly, even though this is a very old thread.

Civ 4 seem just seems really bland to the eye. Doing what Rise of Nations did would spice up the game a bit, even if it's just eye candy. Currently, all the civilizations use western graphics with regards to units and buildings. I don't mind so much when it's the industrial age onwards, but seeing London looking exactly like Beijing during the 1500s, and likewise with the units, it just makes the game seem dull since it's about all the civilizations of the world but everyone looks western. Civ III had it, and I don't see why Civ 4 does not.

Hopefully, the expansion won't limit unique graphics to scenarios. But if it does, I do hope someone with great talent creates cultural groups with the SDK like in Civ III.

Top Bottom