Request: Explore Assault AI

phungus420

Deity
I'd like to request an added AI type, UnitAI_Explore_AssaultSea (Or just wrap the functionality in AI_Explore_Sea) or something like that. Basically so that the AI will know how to load units onto boats (mainly explorers, but any UnitAI_Explore) and send them to a new landmass and explore. I've never seen the AI do this, and don't think it can, I think it's stuck with only being able to explore inland on a found continent after it's settled or attacked it.

Yeah, I think you are correct ... the AI doesn't go explore new land masses really, certainly not with explorers. I think it would be best to add this behavior to sea exploration units or some of the other special types of transports the AI has (spies and missionaries) which don't get a lot of work. Can explorers be loaded into Caravels?

Can explorers be loaded into Caravels?
Not in default BtS, but it's easy enough to mod in, many mods do this anyway (just add the specialunit_people to explorers). Narrowing it down isn't really an issue though, plenty of units can get the UnitAI_Explore tag. What I'm hoping is that you have the desire to teach the AI the ability to load these units onto UnitAI_Explore_Sea vessels, and have them dissembark to explore new landmasses. I think such an ability would greatly improve the AI's ability to conquer and colonize new landmasses, especially on Terra maps.

Code:
		<UnitInfo>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_EXPLORER</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_EXPLORER</Type>
			<UniqueNames/>
			<Special>SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE</Special>
Code:
			<Class>UNITCLASS_CARAVEL</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_CARAVEL</Type>
			<SpecialCargo>SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE</SpecialCargo>
I thought so. Explorers are so loadable onto caravels.

As an aside:
Code:
			<UnitAIs>
				<UnitAI>
					<UnitAIType>UNITAI_SPY</UnitAIType>
					<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
				</UnitAI>
			</UnitAIs>
The Spy is not set to be usable as an explorer. I find so long as you are careful to stay outside of rival territory, they are a kick ass explorer. :)

lol with open borders I use my spare worker or two as explorers. :D

Certainly beats having them sit in my cities doing nothing during those eras where they have nothing to do. It only saddens me workers don't have the Automate Explore mission, yet workboats do! not fair! :)

Top Bottom