[Request for Python people]Cultural linked starting locations

Tahuti

Writing Deity
What keeps bugging me is that the starting locations of nations are scattered and unrealistic: It is possible that Germany is near Japan in the Jungle, which is highly unrealistic. So the idea is, that nations are placed on locations where it plausible for their culture to develop (i.e. European culture in Temperate and Cold climate near fellow Europeans, Middle East culture in Arid zones near fellow Middle Easterners). People like TheLopez should be able to develop such mods so I hope this request of me will be picked unlike most of my others.

Kaiserguard said:
What keeps bugging me is that the starting locations of nations are scattered and unrealistic: It is possible that Germany is near Japan in the Jungle, which is highly unrealistic. So the idea is, that nations are placed on locations where it plausible for their culture to develop (i.e. European culture in Temperate and Cold climate near fellow Europeans, Middle East culture in Arid zones near fellow Middle Easterners). People like TheLopez should be able to develop such mods so I hope this request of me will be picked unlike most of my others.

I guess it depends on if you are trying to recreate world events as they played out or if you see your civ world as a "what if" kind of enviornment. Its not unrealistic that the Japonese would have neighbored the Americans but its isn't historically accurate (historical accuracy being an impossible target for a game anyway).

But if you are looking for something that is a little closer to a real life map layout (or timeline) you may want to consider some of the maps and scenerios that shoot for this goal. Im sure there are a few maps in the scenerio forum that will give you world maps with accurate starting locations. And Rhye's Fall of Civilization mod even does this one better by having civilizations start at the appropriate time period they came into existence.

Its not unrealistic that the Japonese would have neighbored the Americans
It is, in fact, unrealistic, given their leaderhead graphics, city graphics, UU graphics, city names, and the basic human desire for an authentic degree of suspending disbelief.

But if you are looking for something that is a little closer to a real life map layout (or timeline) you may want to consider some of the maps and scenerios that shoot for this goal.
I think, sir, you missed the man's point entirely. He wishes for this to occur randomly on any game he plays. I've bothered to make my own map/scenario just for the reason he outlined, but it's a lot of work and pays off only a couple times before you'd like another map set up.

I share in his request.

Redking said:
It is, in fact, unrealistic, given their leaderhead graphics, city graphics, UU graphics, city names, and the basic human desire for an authentic degree of suspending disbelief.

I think, sir, you missed the man's point entirely. He wishes for this to occur randomly on any game he plays. I've bothered to make my own map/scenario just for the reason he outlined, but it's a lot of work and pays off only a couple times before you'd like another map set up.

I share in his request.

Yup Redking is totally right, Its for random maps. And actually, this idea is based on a feature which was included in Civ 3 where this feature was present.

Top Bottom