Research

deanej

Deity
How do you research techs in any reasonable time in this mod? I've been playing as USA on the global map (historical mode), and each tech takes 20 turns to research even after laboratories and chain reactors have been built in all my cities. No civs have researched more than a few technologies, and it's almost 1940. Everyone's still on early infantry (except Germany) and China hasn't even discovered a single tech! The techs BADLY need an overhaul with regards to cost. That or remove the useless ones that need to be researched.

The mod is meant to be balanced for the 1936 Europe and Pacific maps.

Perhaps Dale could make a special building which increases research output, non buildable and only is on the Global map.

Can't talk.... Sporeing. :D

I think the research rate for Global is fine if you are doing Open Mode and go on an invasion-spree to add cities/population so that your research goes faster as time goes on. It certainly drags early on, even for the big powers. Research for the middle-powers is tricky. Research for the tiny countries is basically hopeless any way you look at it, unless they survive long enough to add their pittance to their allies in Historical/Random. I found that countries were adding the middle-level units in the early 40s, which seemed fine. No one should be building the Bomb early anyway, right? At least not without sacrificing basically everything else (such as a strong army/navy/airforce).

It would be nice if the 'empty' techs actually did something other than just acting as a stepping stone to the next tech. Doesn't have to be much, but 'something'. Free unit? Free promotions for X units (or a free general)? Free building somewhere? Add XX research points, coins, production, whatever. Something small, so that it doesn't unbalance things (unless someone wants to go through and add bigger things and rebalance it of course). Just, you know, 'something'. Maybe a free great person would be fun, flexible, maybe-easy-to-implement, and not too unbalancing? Or just add XX GP points in the city whose research finishes the tech.

As i posted here i find too research is too expensive in UE 1.1.

This is particularly true on the Global map: the map is huge, and this will raise the research cost.

The solution i described in the linked post is OK, and i also added a +1 naval movement to the "nuclear power" tech, which otherwise is pointless to research.

I think that Veteran Lurker's suggestion for some kind of bonus in the useless (or transitional) techs is interesting.
I'll try to look at it, then i'll post the modified XML if i find some solution.

Tech research benefits greatly from being in a team. Once the US joins the war it will pick up all the techs its new allies already have and progress will be quicker from then on. That said while the original tech cost numbers were too low the doubling for UE is a bit much. Personally I have experimented with 1.5 times but it needs more work.

Dan

OK, here the modifications i made to the techs: only one interested another file than the CIV4TechInfos.xml

I'd like to do better than this, but it's not easy.
Code:
	Tech			 type	 variations
------------------------------  ------  -------------
Household goods			civ. 2	+1 trade route
Mass Production			ind. 4	1 free GM
Sloped Armour			tan. 4	moved here WINTERWARFARE
Jet Engine			roc. 2	+2 air movm.
Advanced C3I and logistics	wea. 8	1 free GP
Advanced Warships		sea. 3	+1 naval movm.
Catalytic polymerisation	ind. 6	1 free GS
Fluid Catalytic Cracking	ind. 8	1 free GE
Cold polymerisation		ind. 9	1 free GE
Nuclear Bomb Delivery		roc. 6	1 free GS
Nuclear Power			ind.10	+1 naval movm.
Suggestions welcome.

I may be wrong but it appear that (tech cost = basic value * number 0f members in alliance) so if your stuck with a few civs that have 2-3 cities as a fellow allies your research will slow down very bad. (I still have to test that a few time)

Maybe Nuclear delivery could give your capital few free bombers?Cause I think theres bit too many GPs.And Jet engine would give +1 to aircraft movement and +1 to fighter operational range.

Top Bottom