1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Resource Placement Reference

Discussion in 'Maps & Scenarios' started by RidetheSpiral23, May 27, 2012.

1. RidetheSpiral23

RidetheSpiral23 C2C Map Team

Okay, so do you not think it would be helpful to have a list made up so that the different sized Earth maps would have similar resource placement? It's cool if you don't think it will be necessary. I know it would just save me some time in updating the standard map in the future.

2. Acularius

Acularius King

I think it IS a good idea.

However the list is time dependent.

If for example, you wanted to make the list relative to Post-Columbian exchanges of flora and/or fauna, then you would need to look up an entirely different set of information.
    That's all I was referring to. If we are just doing Pre-Columbian (to the best of our abilities) than a large amount of that data has already been dug up. It would just take a while to compile.

That's what I was referring to with 'timeframe'. Pre or Post Columbian would personally be best, or you would deal with a map devoid of many natural 'domesticated' resources that were largely handled by the Mesopotamian, Ganges, and Yangtze (Yellow River) civilizations.

Granted, if we ever get into 'biomes', for GEM and the modders add that in and a system to show natural resources spreading based on technological achievements, trade patterns, and good ol' innovation. THEN I would be REALLY excited (no sarcasm) to do the research into essentially, 'Ancient' starts.
    That would be epic by the way... just saying. :D

3. RidetheSpiral23

That would be incredibly awesome! I would love for that to happen. That combined with nomad start and some sort of new dynamic culture would make the prehistoric era so much more in depth and engaging!

Anyway I could start working on compiling a list. How would you like it to go though?

Like this:
    Spoiler :
    Britain
    Wheat
    Salt
    Apples
    etc..

or this:
    Spoiler :
    Olives
    South Italy
    Greece
    etc...

4. Acularius

Acularius King

For natural resources like 'wheat', I wouldn't mind a line detailing where it is native to...
    like for Potatoes, being native to South America (if I recall correctly)

As for finite resources, like deposits, for example jade.

Jade
    China, British Columbia, Central America (Granted, I will need to do more research into Jade. I just really recall Chian and BC as outstanding top of my head)

5. RidetheSpiral23

Okay I'm trying to grasp the difference between those two categories. So in that example you are stating that potatoes should only be in south America?

6. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

This link might help you. However its not all the resources.

You probably already have them all placed by now.

7. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

DH just added Murex which has historiclly been used to make Tyrian Purple dye. Thus it would be a Mediterranean resource.

8. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

DH just put in a Kangaroo resource, so update your maps!

9. RidetheSpiral23

Thanks for the heads up Hydro!

10. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

There will soon be a Zebra resource, in v26 probably, but it is currently dependent on having the Alt_Timelines/Megafauna/Zebra option active.

11. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Why not make it a general one? One can still hunt zebras no matter if you ride them or not. Zoo should still be able to get them as a bonus too with the alt timeline off.

12. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Since it was not mentioned yet in this topic, that Henna and Indigo resources were added and Dye was made into a building resource.

13. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

14. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

So Turquoise and Parrots were recently dded on the SVN. These should be added to maps such as GEM.