Resource Placement Reference

Depends on what time-frame the resource placement is.

Generally your best bet is Pre-Columbian, but when dealing with an Eurasian map that doesn't deal with North America you might be better off using modern day sources.

Really depends on the scale of the map you are dealing with.

Okay, so do you not think it would be helpful to have a list made up so that the different sized Earth maps would have similar resource placement? It's cool if you don't think it will be necessary. I know it would just save me some time in updating the standard map in the future.

Okay, so do you not think it would be helpful to have a list made up so that the different sized Earth maps would have similar resource placement? It's cool if you don't think it will be necessary. I know it would just save me some time in updating the standard map in the future.

I think it IS a good idea.

However the list is time dependent.

If for example, you wanted to make the list relative to Post-Columbian exchanges of flora and/or fauna, then you would need to look up an entirely different set of information.
That's all I was referring to. If we are just doing Pre-Columbian (to the best of our abilities) than a large amount of that data has already been dug up. It would just take a while to compile.

That's what I was referring to with 'timeframe'. Pre or Post Columbian would personally be best, or you would deal with a map devoid of many natural 'domesticated' resources that were largely handled by the Mesopotamian, Ganges, and Yangtze (Yellow River) civilizations.

Granted, if we ever get into 'biomes', for GEM and the modders add that in and a system to show natural resources spreading based on technological achievements, trade patterns, and good ol' innovation. THEN I would be REALLY excited (no sarcasm) to do the research into essentially, 'Ancient' starts.
That would be epic by the way... just saying. :D

Granted, if we ever get into 'biomes', for GEM and the modders add that in and a system to show natural resources spreading based on technological achievements, trade patterns, and good ol' innovation. THEN I would be REALLY excited (no sarcasm) to do the research into essentially, 'Ancient' starts.
That would be epic by the way... just saying. :D

That would be incredibly awesome! I would love for that to happen. That combined with nomad start and some sort of new dynamic culture would make the prehistoric era so much more in depth and engaging!

Anyway I could start working on compiling a list. How would you like it to go though?

Like this:
Spoiler :
Britain
Wheat
Salt
Apples
etc..

or this:
Spoiler :
Olives
South Italy
Greece
etc...

For natural resources like 'wheat', I wouldn't mind a line detailing where it is native to...
like for Potatoes, being native to South America (if I recall correctly)

As for finite resources, like deposits, for example jade.

Jade
China, British Columbia, Central America (Granted, I will need to do more research into Jade. I just really recall Chian and BC as outstanding top of my head)

Okay I'm trying to grasp the difference between those two categories. So in that example you are stating that potatoes should only be in south America?

DH just added Murex which has historiclly been used to make Tyrian Purple dye. Thus it would be a Mediterranean resource.

This snail lives in the central and western parts of the Mediterranean Sea and has been found on isolated coral atoll beaches in the Indian Ocean and South China Sea. It was known since ancient times as a source for purple dye and also as a popular food source under various names, among which sconciglio, from which comes the word scungilli.

There will soon be a Zebra resource, in v26 probably, but it is currently dependent on having the Alt_Timelines/Megafauna/Zebra option active.

There will soon be a Zebra resource, in v26 probably, but it is currently dependent on having the Alt_Timelines/Megafauna/Zebra option active.

Why not make it a general one? One can still hunt zebras no matter if you ride them or not. Zoo should still be able to get them as a bonus too with the alt timeline off.

Top Bottom