Resource specific city improvements

Shaitan

der Besucher
Help / comments needed for my latest project.
I'm making new city improvements. These will be resource specific where a particular resource must be in the city radius in order to build them (like the Iron Works). Each will have a small bonus to either Culture, Happiness, Finance or Industry. Here's what I have so far:

Resource---Improvement----Effect
Horse------Stable---------Culture
Iron-------Smithy---------Industry
Coal-------Mine-----------Industry
Hardwood---Mill-----------Industry
Stone------Quarry---------Industry
Aluminum---Machinery------Industry
Oil--------Rig------------Industry
Saltpeter--Illuminators---Happiness
Wines------Winery---------Culture
Gems-------Gem cutter-----Financial
Spice------Apothecary-----Financial
Silk-------Clothier-------Financial
Furs-------Tannery--------Financial
Cattle-----Ranch----------Financial
Fish-------Fishing Fleet--Financial
Game-------Chalet/Lodge---Financial
Gold-------Jeweler--------Financial
Whales-----Whaling Fleet--Financial
Wheat------Grist Mill-----Industry

Feedback on the ideas for the improvements would be great. Alternative ideas are very welcome. Also, I have not been able to think of improvements for Rubber, Uranium, Incense, Dyes and Ivory. Any ideas for those?

Originally posted by Shaitan
Help / comments needed for my latest project.
I'm making new city improvements. These will be resource specific where a particular resource must be in the city radius in order to build them (like the Iron Works). Each will have a small bonus to either Culture, Happiness, Finance or Industry. Here's what I have so far:

Resource---Improvement----Effect
Horse------Stable---------Culture
Iron-------Smithy---------Industry
Coal-------Mine-----------Industry
Hardwood---Mill-----------Industry
Stone------Quarry---------Industry
Aluminum---Machinery------Industry
Oil--------Rig------------Industry
Saltpeter--Illuminators---Happiness
Wines------Winery---------Culture
Gems-------Gem cutter-----Financial
Spice------Apothecary-----Financial
Silk-------Clothier-------Financial
Furs-------Tannery--------Financial
Cattle-----Ranch----------Financial
Fish-------Fishing Fleet--Financial
Game-------Chalet/Lodge---Financial
Gold-------Jeweler--------Financial
Whales-----Whaling Fleet--Financial
Wheat------Grist Mill-----Industry

Feedback on the ideas for the improvements would be great. Alternative ideas are very welcome. Also, I have not been able to think of improvements for Rubber, Uranium, Incense, Dyes and Ivory. Any ideas for those?

Rubber --- Tyre Factory ----- Industry
Uranium--- Power Plant/High-tech Research Facility --- Industry/Sceince
Incense --- Great Temple/Pagoda --- Culture
Dye --- Stained Glass --- Industry
Ivory --- Carver --- Industry

Thats what I can think of ;)

cool ideas

wheat - brewery - happiness :D

id like to see units requiring certain improvements myself; like horse units owuld need a stable to be built, etc.

thatd allow more city perfecting, besides just building a city, putting a granary or a temple, then pumping out a trillion units (like how the AI does things)

too bad it cant be done. govt'-specific units would be good too.

btw dark sheer i like the stained glassworks idea... then you can have cathedrals (or maybe the cathedral wonders) require a stained glassworks

I like the brewery idea. Beer was a very important element to most ancient cultures. Celtish heather ale was a nationally protected secret. With the additions from Dark Sheer and Bjorn, the list is complete:

Resource--Improvement-------Cost--Upkeep--Culture--Effect
Horse-----Stable------------100-----1--------3-----makes 1 content
Wines-----Winery------------100-----1--------3-----makes 1 content
Incense---Pagoda------------100-----1--------3-----makes 1 content
Gems------Gem cutter--------100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Spice-----Apothecary--------100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Silk------Clothier----------100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Furs------Tannery-----------100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Cattle----Ranch Financial---100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Fish------Fishing Fleet-----100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Game------Chalet/Lodge------100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Gold------Jeweler-----------100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Whales----Whaling Fleet-----100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Dyes------Stained Glass-----100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Ivory-----Carver------------100-----1--------------50% increase to tax revenue, increases effect of luxury resources
Wheat-----Brewery------------60-----1--------------Makes 1 content
Saltpeter-Illuminators------120-----2--------1-----Makes 2 content
Uranium---Radiology Center--180-----3--------1-----Makes 3 content
Iron------Smithy------------240-----3--------------50% increase to production
Coal------Mine--------------240-----3--------------50% increase to production
Hardwood--Mill--------------240-----3--------------50% increase to production
Stone-----Quarry------------240-----3--------------50% increase to production
Aluminum--Machinery---------240-----3--------------50% increase to production
Oil-------Rig---------------240-----3--------------50% increase to production
Rubber----Tire Factory------240-----3--------------50% increase to production

What do you think of the effects? I'm not too worried about game busters as only a handful of cities will have any of the individual improvements. The only one that could be scary is a city with the Iron Works, a Smithy and a Coal Mine. Imagine that place with a Nuclear plant too. Spooky.

Bjorn, this whole idea actually morphed from the second thing you mentioned. I wanted to require stables for horse units, a motor pool for mechanized units, artillery school for bombadier units, etc. Unfortunately, there's no way to do it. The only unit classifications so far as upgrade/veteran production is concerned are air/sea/land.

I know you already have one for cattle but how about a second? I suggest:
Cattle---Butcher Shop---Food

only problem is there is no flag to increase food, besides in sea tiles. i think they need one for land tiles too.

heres another one:
saltpeter - fireworks festival - happiness
gold - coinery/mint - +tax revenue

but anyway, with the new patch this will no longer work, atleast for bonus resources; and with sentry command, and stack movement, i dont think i can skip this patch too! :(

Originally posted by Bjorn Bjornson
only problem is there is no flag to increase food, besides in sea tiles. i think they need one for land tiles too.

heres another one:
saltpeter - fireworks festival - happiness
gold - coinery/mint - +tax revenue

but anyway, with the new patch this will no longer work, atleast for bonus resources; and with sentry command, and stack movement, i dont think i can skip this patch too! :(

Yeah, too bad the coming patch is going to remove dependence of Bonus resources :(

Oh well, we could probally convert all those you want to associate with improvements to either Luxury or Strategic resources. We need to work around the limitation! ;)

Great idea Bjorn. I like mint much better than jeweler. Illuminator is fireworks ;)

King of Camelot - good idea but as Bjorn mentioned there's no way to do more food :(

Dark Sheer, were you able to fix the problem with adding more luxuries? I remember reading somewhere that this caused a crash when too many luxuries were connected to the trade network? I'm planning on changing the bonus resources to luxury or strategic like you mentioned. Most will go to strategic but I want a couple of them for luxury if possible.

Ever since this was posted by Shaitan I became interested in something like this. One thing i've noticed is for the Iron Works is that it only has "resource must be in city radius" checked, nothing else. This means that whatever has this checked will also have a 100% increase in production no matter what. Unfortunatly the "must have resource" box in the city improvement area only means you have to have it in your strategic resource box, not in the city radius. Does nayone know a way around this so the resource has to be in the city radius but it doesn't automatically recieve the 100% production increase?

I hadn't noticed that on the Iron Works before. If "Resource must be in city radius" is actually giving 100% production then these plans are shot. I'll dig into the editor this evening and see what I can see.

Aha, thanks for the info Bjorn, that slipped my view. Let the resource specific Small Wonders Begin!

This is a great idea. My only alternative suggestions are that wineries should affect happiness not culture and that dyes be tied into clothing and happiness since these most accurately reflect what grapes and dyes were actually used for and the effects that they had.

Also it is not entirely clear that everyone understands how the production modifier works - which is a 25% bonus per unit in the box (e.g. 3 gives a 75% bonus). This should be separately modifiable from the must be in city radius box, although I can't be sure as I've never tried. Of course, I am downloading the new editor even as i type so who knows what we'll be able to do now.

Originally posted by Anglophile
This is a great idea. My only alternative suggestions are that wineries should affect happiness not culture and that dyes be tied into clothing and happiness since these most accurately reflect what grapes and dyes were actually used for and the effects that they had.
Wineries are set to affect happiness and give a small culture benefit. I like your idea for dyes and I'll make that change.

The "must be in city radius" box is a "Small Wonder" preference, so it is grayed out for city improvements. However, making these kind of buildings Small Wonders make sense because it prevents them from being over-used.

Making buildings or units requiring (flagged) luxury or bonus resources has not been working for me. Before 1.16, I first set War Elephants to requiring Ivory and being available to any civ, but that made them available in each city. Then I changed Ivory to Strategic, which made it work.

I have got the idea of introducing Relics as a strategic resource. These would be visible with Monotheism, and required in the city radius for building the Sacred City, which functions as a Forbidden Palace with Happiness bonus. Connection to a Relic is also needed for building Cathedrals and certain Wonders.

Originally posted by Optimizer
The "must be in city radius" box is a "Small Wonder" preference, so it is grayed out for city improvements. However, making these kind of buildings Small Wonders make sense because it prevents them from being over-used.
Absolutely correct. I should have made that more clear.

Originally posted by Optimizer
I have got the idea of introducing Relics as a strategic resource. These would be visible with Monotheism, and required in the city radius for building the Sacred City, which functions as a Forbidden Palace with Happiness bonus. Connection to a Relic is also needed for building Cathedrals and certain Wonders.
Fantastic idea. I was going to do Standing Stones for the British Isles mod with similar effects. That got bumped because you can only add 2 resource icons and they lost to Hardwoods and Stone.

Top Bottom