Returning to Civ 5

Osiris1975

Chieftain
Hi,

I've been away from this game for over a year, having thrown in the towel thanks to that late game crashing bug that made the game unplayable for me.

Now I'm ready to dive back in, and had a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Is the late game crash bug fixed?

2. Mods. I love me my mods, but I discovered many are out of date now. Generally, I like playing grand maps, with a lot of civilizations at marathon speed. I had some mods in the past that made it so that at marathon speed, you could still build units and buildings at a reasonable rate. Anything like that still working?

Civilization Nights and Echoes of the Ages mods both look intriguing. Can they be used together? Any other mod suggestions given my game play preferences?

Thanks in advance!

Naah... You can have a brake for another year or two. They still build piramids in sea and kill stealth jets with arrows.

I've never had a problem with the game crashing since I started playing in March. By all accounts, the game's a lot more stable now if you have a computer that's up to spec. I don't use many mods so I can't respond to that question. I've never seen archers even still in the game by the time fighters come around, let alone shooting one down, so I don't know what the other person's talking about - maybe some other game.

1. Personally I don't experience late game crashes ever on normal Civ V.
Only with mods but then I need to reload last quicksave.

2. Well there are many new ones since the last time y ou played and most are constantly updated.
Here's some of my faves that I'll recommend for you!

1. YAHEM map pack. It includes map of Earth, size ranging all the way up to huge and GIANT, with real start locations for all the Civs and city-states, DLC Civs included. Also has some of it's own options.

2. End at industrial era / renaissance era / medieval era etc.
These End at.. mods are one of my faves, the games technologies don't advance past a certain era, so if you want you can have a real Napoleonic end game. Fun.

3. R.E.D.
It puts more soldiers on the unit graphics and scales things differently, and has different graphics for some of different nations units, very cool.

4. Info addict
You get much more detailed info on the world and diplomacy, including sizes of armies in men, citizen literacy rates and life expectations etc etc.

And most importantly, the game has gone thru many balance, AI, and other changes so it's a great game now. (Just missing the expansion pack!)

Hi,

I've been away from this game for over a year, having thrown in the towel thanks to that late game crashing bug that made the game unplayable for me.

2. Mods. I love me my mods, but I discovered many are out of date now. Generally, I like playing grand maps, with a lot of civilizations at marathon speed. I had some mods in the past that made it so that at marathon speed, you could still build units and buildings at a reasonable rate. Anything like that still working?

Civilization Nights and Echoes of the Ages mods both look intriguing. Can they be used together? Any other mod suggestions given my game play preferences?

Thanks in advance!

1. I gave up for a while due to the crashes as well. All seems to work fine now for me anyway.

2. They are both great MODs. Play both of them. Echoes of Ages I like it the best, well balanced. Nights is huge. I find it a bit too much, but still a great mod

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

The late game crash bug has been fixed.

My favorite two mods, which I play all the time are Echos of Ages and Building Upgrades. The Civ Nights changes the entire game as far as polices go.

If you play change MAX_HIT_POINTS to 20 and MAX_CITY_HIT_POINTS to 50. Spread cities out to 4 hexes. The AI seems to be more interesting to play against with these changes. Units are not killed so easily, and the AI knows how to retreat. Cities are harder to take which makes things more interesting. And the AI can better maneuver its forces better with more space between cities. Some people are even play without city states, me I just limit them for now.

I play my games with YAHEM. TSL Giant Earth Map, 20 civs. Mods for my current game are AgS resource mod, infoaddict, naval counterattack, and two submarine mods I want to try out. For the time being I am keeping full balance mods out of the TSL map, they have been crashing and causing issues for some reason. Things like CCMT2, have not worked well. I also went into the xml and upgraded the ironclad to 75% of the battleship in combat rating and ranged combat. This way the ship has a bit of a heyday. I also have it set up more like a dreadnought so it can traverse oceans. Have fun and welcome back! :)

I'm in a similar boat - I quit back in December but recently started playing Civ5 again and actually finding it decently enjoyable. (Too bad it took a year to reach the state it should have been released in.) I was curious about mods, too - wasn't there an economy or building mod that was considered a must-have sometime last year? Or has that since been rendered moot by patch changes?

SuperJay, you might mean Thal's Balance Mod? If so it is now called VEM - Vanilla Enhanced Mod. Some of the changes have made it into official patches, but it has many more fixes and improvements that haven't. I consider VEM essential, I find it a lot more enjoyable than vanilla. Though I also increase tech costs from what they are in VEM as I find the balance between science and production is still not quite right for me.

SuperJay, you might mean Thal's Balance Mod? If so it is now called VEM - Vanilla Enhanced Mod. Some of the changes have made it into official patches, but it has many more fixes and improvements that haven't. I consider VEM essential, I find it a lot more enjoyable than vanilla. Though I also increase tech costs from what they are in VEM as I find the balance between science and production is still not quite right for me.

Awesome, yes, that was it - Thal's Balance Mod. I wanted to say it was something Thalassicus (sp?) developed but I wasn't sure that was correct. VEM now, huh? I can get it from within the game's mod browser, I assume? If so, I'll check that out tonight.

Also, were the InfoAddict features ever incorporated into the full game, or is that mod still kicking around and useful?

Thanks for the tips, Steve :)

Also, were the InfoAddict features ever incorporated into the full game, or is that mod still kicking around and useful?

Info Addict's still around too, I think you can find the most recent version in the mod browser. They've added some graphs into the game, but they're only available after you won, so it doesn't really help much.

Top Bottom