RFC Crash

bmc

Chieftain
I was playing an normal game of RFC as the greeks and the game crashed to desktop without any error message (besides the one that xfire displayed) as soon as the video for the Parthenon started. i dont know if this is is one time thing or not...

My game crashes everytime I build a wonder, or get a religion any time a video has to play. I am mulling everything over myself. I think I am gonna uninstall everything and start over cause its getting on my nerves. I have dropped 110 bucks on civ 4 $50 for original $30 on warlords, and $30 on beyond the sword only to get my game crashing every time i built, discover something. Not cool as of right now, I will let ya know how my attempts go.

Thanks for the welcome =)

I have tried so many things up to this point that I just think I need to start fresh. No mods, patches etc. i'm just gonna remove everything. load up the original and bts with no warlords cause from what I understand I don't need it for BTS. and see what I can get going for me.

Thanks for the welcome =)

I have tried so many things up to this point that I just think I need to start fresh. No mods, patches etc. i'm just gonna remove everything. load up the original and bts with no warlords cause from what I understand I don't need it for BTS. and see what I can get going for me.
if you want to do a clean reinstall do the following (with or without warlords is up to you ;)):

install the most recent version of DirectX 9c from Microsoft

then do the following for a clean reinstall:

Uninstall and Reinstall Civ4 Warlords BtS :

Try to follow this order when doing stuff:
Use Control panel to uninstall Beyond the Sword, then Warlords, then Vanilla
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\warlords" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\beyond the sword" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}" (Warlords)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}" (BtS) (note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).
Install Vanilla, immediately patch it to 1.61 (download it fresh from here)
Install Warlords, immediately patch it to 2.08 (download it fresh from here)
Install Beyond the Sword, immediately patch to 3.13 (download it fresh from here).

Awesome, thanks for the walkthrough. I'm gonna get on that as soon as I hit the post button.

Thanks for the help, gonna give it a go.

Ok, first of all. i just want to thank Ori for all the help. I just unloaded everything and all the manual files and everything was exactly as you said. Saved me a ton of time with the links and I have the game up and running again.

I did still encounter the problem, but now that I knew I had all the updates, and directx files were correct so I could start troubleshooting with the graphics to get them best for my machine. I tried alot of different combos and sizes but basicly the onlything that alowed the videos to work was to switch the movie graphics to medium. All that does is it takes your world map away from the backround while the video plays and just displays a black screen with the little movie pop up window in the forefront. Really not a big deal to me. Game seems to be running smoother now and has not froze on me since, with any videos.

Thanks for all of your help ori, now if you'll excuse me. I have some Beyond the Sword to finally dominate!! (Although I hear its harder so I might get dominated)

it doesnt just happen on rfc, i just had it happen in BTS, i didnt know i could lower the wonder video quality, ill try that. im actually kind of mad because i just lost a really good game i had going.

alright, i have them bookmarked incase the problem persists. i dont know what the deal is though, my pc exceeds the recommended specs...

its weird because i have played an 8 hour game before straight through without a crash...

Top Bottom