RFC Europe - Buildings Thread

Adding a few hammers to Christian buildings like in rfc 2 hammers per monastery, church, cathedral?

:hammers: for monasteries! It'd be great :goodjob: . Monasteries were exellent way to develop a region in early middle ages

Adding a few hammers to Christian buildings like in rfc 2 hammers per monastery, church, cathedral?

for monasteries! It'd be great . Monasteries were exellent way to develop a region in early middle ages

Actually the hammers for religious buildings come from the Apostolic Palace, so the religion, which has the AP, gives hammers to it's buildings.

I played a game as portugal last night, and felt the island cities were fine. They obviously aren't power houses, but they seemed to be producing enough commerce to justify their existence which is good enough for a UHV requirement imo.

Maybe my expectation was just different. I didn't even try to build more than a harbor and maybe a lighthouse in them, though. Just let the population grow and and work all the two commerce tiles. Along with a few trade routes it seemed fine.

All that said, I think I only built feitoria in 2 cities so I don't know how useful it was.

Duly noted about lack of production buildings on island cities. I'll see which of your suggestions are best, but I don't like making the Feitoria too similar to the dike, so we'll go with merijn_v1's suggestion for that building.

In a way many of them do give stability, since increasing happiness in your cities improves your stability. I think giving not allowing cathedral cities to declare independence wouldn't be too powerful. You can only build them in 1/4 of cities (unless you're spreading multiple religions.

Making little buildings which add something onto the main building are sort of annoying IMHO. I know I did this with the religious buildings, but it still annoys me to actually play with it :) and I'm thinking of simplifying/reducing the religious buildings a bit too.

I thought about making units require buildings. I guess this is prevalent in Fall From Heaven, and it plays alright. I don't know if the AI will deal with it very well, and it's a pain to test. Maybe we could just limit the most powerful units...

Is the problem with the buildings themselves or because they are too weak for the cost?

Well. They are separate buildings but require another to be built. I and think that is one of the best way of showing that advanced buildings can only appear in advanced cities.

Units require buildings could be fun. Where actually do the knights come from in a 2 pop city?

And there are too many buildings. Just the sheer number of them.

Castles and Cathedrals should be more awesome. I want to build these in a medieval mod because they are fun, but they should be valuable enough.

I think the best ideas for improving these:
Move the Dungeon to be an earlier building with Castle prereq. This way building castles would also enable you that extra stability from dungeons

For Cathedrals, I would significally increase the faith point bonus from building them. To about 5 or something like that.
Also, add a new part to stability: your faith points / 8, capped at (-2, 6).
Or something similar to this, to point only is that if your faith points effects you overall stability, that's historically accurate, and would add that desired extra for Cathedrals...
It seems very easy (just a few extra lines) to add in Stability.py

In a mod to Europa Universalis 3 called Magna Mundi there is a distinction between catholic orders to show their many differences. Orders were so important in medieval and renaissance Europe, that I think they deserve at least unique buildings, if not corporations.

All of them should of course require catholicism. Also, all of them have a drawback of lets say -25% to commerce generated from city tiles. That will show process of grabbing land by church - we should remember that in some countries bishops controlled as much as 1/3 of all territory. In beginning, this drawback doesn't hurt much, but later, with development of cottages, it starts. Monasteries should be also cheap [really cheap, they were built by monks not by rulers] in hammers, so that whole thing about them will look like that: build early and quickly because of short benefits, and fight with them [Reformation] later because of the long term drawbacks.

Here are my proposition about monasteries of diferrent orders:
Benedictines: +1 Culture [they were the first order, famous of light they brought to Europe]
+1 Food and +2 hammers [as all orders they cultivated soil and had own production]
Benedictines would be the perfect order to start with, boosting early development [as they originally did].

Dominicans: they should boost production of missionaries and inquisitors [maybe special units - Dominican missionary/inquisitor, costing less hammers than their normal counterparts, but requiring monastery?], prevent non-catholic religions from entering the city and speed up spreading of catholicism.
+X Faith points [they were the most fanatic of orders, besides Jesuits]

Cisterians: +3 Science, +1 Health [more sophisticated Benedictins, for greater cities]
+1 Food

Jesuits: Reward for those, who stayed with catholicism and suffered drawbacks of orders. They come much later than other orders, and offer much more:
+1 point to Great Prophet, +20% to generating Great People: Jesuits concentrated on quality and education of their members, and thus many famous people came out of this order,
+25% to science: famous schools,
+X Faith points - their obedience to the Pope was legendary,

All of orders should also allow to turn 1 citizen into priest [opportunity for citizens to live a life of a monk].

There should be some mechanic allowing players to destroy orders, as it happen in history, even in catholic countries [for example fall of Jesuits]. This should bring some gold and many drawbacks in relations with the Pope, catholics etc. Protestants should have lesser penalties.

Whay do you think of this idea?

I like the idea of adding more importance to monasteries.Although someone had mentioned there already being too many buildings. Adding new corporations won't happen imo, there are already 7 of them. I've had some additional/alternate ideas.
Instead of simply building a monastery you get to choose what kind you want to build.

Removing monastery from building list and changing it to a tile improvement. (+1food 1hammer +1 science or so). In which case 'reformation' could allow razing of such improvements for money :)

Adding a unit called 'Monk' which can work tiles somewhat like a worker but he can also 'settle' down and build a monastery, thus disbanding the monk.
Possibly different kinds of monasteries available from certain techs, each with slight differences, like suggested above.

Although the only 'easy' improvemnet imo would be to simply alter the existing monatery and not create additional things, anything newly added also has to be 'explained' to the ai why it should build it(especially if it should choose)

Colonisation projects give only resources - maybe they should also add raw gold/hammers [like Noria or Folwark]? Because now the only way to have cash from them is to trade those resources with other civs.

Some building should cooperate with colonies [Customs Office, Harbor, etc.].
What would you say about such changes to Customs Office:
+10% wealth with S. America/N. America/East Asia Access

We can even go further and add something like national/world wonder called, for example, Colonial Port [historically it would be for sure in Sevilla]:
Requires: Customs House, one of the advanced Access resources
Provides:
+33% wealth with any of the advanced Access resources [so that with all three we have almost +100%],
+3 trade routes
+1 free merchant

Top Bottom