RFC Europe: Extending/Fixing City Name Maps

Hey onedreamer,

Can you post your (old) WBS, I can't find it in the map thread? Some change to the mod in the meantime will be preventing it from loading, but I should be able to convert it over and then post the new version from which you can continue tweaking.

Thanks for that link, too.

Sedna, the WBS I can't load is generated from your saves ;) I'll post it this evening. I went to dinner and saved and quit. Came back to load it, and can't.

In the map thread there are only screenshots. Here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6862614&postcount=364

Thanks for that, pal. Now this means I have to change all the names to Arabic on the Arab/Cordoba CityName map (from the Atlantic to the Black Sea). Great!:wallbash:

I did that on purpouse :p
But there isn't a specific arabian list ... too bad.

I don't think so but there is definitely one city with a space and I didn't use the html format, my bad >_<

Finished at last. Here is the revised combined Arab/Cordoba City/Name map. Big changes in Iberia but not so much in the Eastern Med where most of the names are fine. These do not have accents but I can supply most of them on request.

Sedna, attached is the wbs.
There is one fundamental problem with this process btw: I can't go about inserting labels for italian colonies or italian names abroad because I don't know the exact location of these cities on the map.
I think we should split this work in 2 phases:
a 1st phase where only "homeland" cities are compiled and sent to you. You can then collect them all and produce a single wbs, which is then edited again (2nd phase) civ by civ with localized names and sent back to you.

Attachments

• Venezia.rar
    29.6 KB · Views: 72
Just tidied up the Norse City/Name map. Not much to change though.

Austrian version 2 ready. Germanized city names ( eg maribor to marburg an der drau, bolzano to bozen etc):)

Attachments

• Austria Improved 2.rar
    30.1 KB · Views: 77
Wow, you guys are good and fast. You sure I can't convince any of you to learn Python?

Onedreamer, I intend to load these versions of the city maps into a new test version of the game, and then produce new/updated WBS saves, which I guess will help you accomplish your "two-step" process. Just have to make sure my other changes don't crash the game.

Sedna, attached is the wbs.
There is one fundamental problem with this process btw: I can't go about inserting labels for italian colonies or italian names abroad because I don't know the exact location of these cities on the map.
I think we should split this work in 2 phases:
a 1st phase where only "homeland" cities are compiled and sent to you. You can then collect them all and produce a single wbs, which is then edited again (2nd phase) civ by civ with localized names and sent back to you.

Sorry onedreamer, this file appears to be broken, I can't get much out of it. Spaces shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps you can try the new posted version of the Italy maps again.

Sorry onedreamer, this file appears to be broken, I can't get much out of it. Spaces shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps you can try the new posted version of the Italy maps again.

If you haven't incorporated the CityName map for Spain/Portugal in the new test version that's OK because I'd like to make some minor changes to it anyway. Thanks for moving Toledo and Pamplona. That helps a lot.

EDIT Thanks also for incorporating all the other CityName maps and the indy starts. Just downloaded the latest version and started as Poland. However they still start at Warsaw (see screenshot). Hadn't we decided to switch the start to Kracow? But they flip Breslau as planned which becomes Wroclaw. So the Warsaw start looks good as well. Which do people prefer?

A couple of problems with the indies though. Did you forget Yaroslavl? And Kazan hasn't been built at all (maybe because of the dense forest?). Samara has been razed by somebody. Smolensk has been captured by the Kievan Rus and Lubeck by the Norse. Aside from that, everything looks good. Thanks.

Austrian version 2 ready. Germanized city names ( eg maribor to marburg an der drau, bolzano to bozen etc):)

See what I mean ?
Micbic has Bozen where I have Trent, Venice where I have Padua etc, plus city called Weiden which I know nothing about in Friuli... all because he doesn't have my updated italian citymap. This kind of approach is going to create only a mess...

See what I mean ?
Micbic has Bozen where I have Trent, Venice where I have Padua etc, plus city called Weiden which I know nothing about in Friuli... all because he doesn't have my updated italian citymap. This kind of approach is going to create only a mess...

I can't understand why you're having so much trouble. I've loaded setna's Venecian CityName map and selected Burgundy, played one turn and saved the game. Then I exited to desktop, opened properties, find target, civ4 saves and got Richard turn 1 saved game. I just renamed it Italy CityNames map.
Here it is. All you have to do is edit it and save it as a saved game, NOT a WB save.
See if you can open this. It should work for you just as well IMO.

EDIT I've just opened it from this link. It works for me. It should work for you.

Jessicat, post #31 refers to post #25.

Attached is the city list for italian cities (in Italy), like Jessicat said I saved it normally instead of using WB. Note that like I said, this file is in obvious contrast with Micbic's.

Attachments

• Italia.rar
    75.9 KB · Views: 59
Jessicat, post #31 refers to post #25.

Attached is the city list for italian cities (in Italy), like Jessicat said I saved it normally instead of using WB. Note that like I said, this file is in obvious contrast with Micbic's.

Sorry if that caused trouble.:cry: I am going to update as in your Italy map in the final Austrian version to post today

By the way, Weiden is the German name for Udine.

Attached is the reworked map for byzantium. I made a lot of changes to Asia minor, the levant and palaestina, north africa and the balkan. I added some city names for Italy, South of Spain, crimean peninsula.
North africa western of oran, southern of tunis, where the arabic names are, and the slavic names on the balkan need some work though.
I would move Damascus two tiles to the south because it it lies too far in the north.

Attachments

• Byzantium_new.rar
    34.1 KB · Views: 79
Yes, ladies and gentlemen!! We are proud to announce that...Austrian map is ready:cool:!!!

To do until Tuesday: a) Make a Hungarian map in name ratio with the Austrian
b) Make some corrections to the German and Poland maps (so that the Germans don't capture Prag
and the city is renamed to Dresden, let's say).

@ onedreamer: I tried to replace my Austrian map as per yours. Mostly did it, but Aquileia and the other city in the north ( neither Gorizza nor Trento, can't remember it) hadn't German names so kept Weiden ( since they were both pro-medieval cities if ever Austria gets there, it will be in the actual era that Udine was a prospering town).

@ blackwhole: Did you correct Greece?

By the way, forgotten to attach the file!!!:lol:

Attachments

• Austria Improved Final.rar
    30.7 KB · Views: 61
Micbic, you didn't create any problem, I just think that we risk to create many errors accross the map unless someone double checks all maps.

Btw, if you're willing to update your map, Trento and Gorizia are Trent and Görz respectively for Austria.
Edit: you meant Cividale, that's Östrich in german.

Udine became more important around the 14th century. I'm fine with it in place of Cividale if you want, or just place it the square right east of Cividale.

Micbic, you didn't create any problem, I just think that we risk to create many errors accross the map unless someone double checks all maps.

Btw, if you're willing to update your map, Trento and Gorizia are Trent and Görz respectively for Austria.
Edit: you meant Cividale, that's Östrich in german.

Udine became more important around the 14th century. I'm fine with it in place of Cividale if you want, or just place it the square right east of Cividale.

I already updated it. Ostrich seems a good name (so this is not final version!!) and I am looking for a German name for Aquileia. In case there isn't, any info for coastal cities between Venezia and Trieste would be useful, otherwise I will keep it Weiden.

Top Bottom