RFC Multiplayer Sign Up Here

I'm up to play right now, anyone else ?

According to this thread, yes.

Memdee, did you open the UDP or TCP port ?
"Civilization IV will have problems negotiating through 2 levels of network address translation", is your public IP on the router the same you have when you navigate outside your ISP ? (check www.ripe.net on the top right to see your IP).

I opened up both TCP and UDP.

And yes, it sure is the same IP.

Oh, and my connection did work for some of you guys yesterday - I had no problems connecting to you, for example.

I'm pretty sure it's the routing between the 2 ISPs, for example a double NAT on one side or both could create problems depending on the configuration of the ISPs border routers. In my case if I had a router I would not have the same IP outside my ISP because it further NATs my IP.
Btw, shall we meet in the lobby ? ;)

we have an ongoing game on GameSpy if anyone is interested, started in 800 BC

Wait............ I hosted a game like 12 people and there's a lag just in the modern age. It's not just like more than 4 Players.

@onedreamer

No thanks, for me because my history teacher wasn't satisfied with the score that my classmates have and also, I have assignments like in all aspects of the subjects.

Hope it will be well.

So there's definitely a problem with over four players then? Shame.

I still haven't played a proper game yet, so if anybody wants to get one started please post here.

one slot free if you're interested, anno domini 1200

Wow, that was an intense game.

I was Japan, having the UHV requirement to be 1st in score in 1500, and I missed it by 15 points against Jet (Carthage).
That's when we called it a day and decided Jet had won the match :)

Btw, we had Scientific Method in 1450, and I believe Jet had Rifling, too...

All in all, I think we had three OOS-errors, and we discovered that when someone tries to reconnect, the others should not choose "wait for player" because that will cause the reconnecting player not to be able to chose a civ and therefore get stuck in the process of reconnecting.

But, apart from that, everything went well, as far as I remember.

edit: And, personally, I love the "simplified" plague mechanics :p

edit2: One more thing: onedreamer switched to Turkey when they spawned, and I think what he said was that he didnt have any gunpowder units. Intended?

We did have occasional intermittent OOSes from different people, but for the most part they could reconnect and fix it. It was generally playable.

Edit: ha! I played on a bit by myself, and Rome finally collapsed just now (1555).

Rhye, to tell you, I hosted it on Gamespy. I had just hosted a game of 14 players(in BTS, not in your mod) last night and it worked well I tell you!

Ah, not the mod.
yeah of course.
But here the scale of the world and the complexity of the code is much bigger. We've proved it.
4 isn't the best number for performance (would be 2) but is still playable and allows a 2v2

I have seen most earth games launch with 12-14 (some with with 18). The host just has to be a rock solid host with a great system.

I want to try playing a game on the new RFC MP.

I wouldnt doubt that we should be able to get at least 10 players to play the mod without large amounts of lag (AS LONG AS EVERYONE CLOSED PROGRAMS AND DIDNT ALT-TAB). The same rules that we use for earth games should apply when playing this mod in mp.

However, I wont play direct IP games because i have seen way to many crash because for any reason host would have to rejoin the game will crash (nothing worse then wasting 8 hours of work because host cant rejoin and rehost wont work).

rehost WOULD work. If the "host" crashes anyone can save and rehost, or you can continue anyways, this because direct IP doesn't work as a client-server application.

Top Bottom