RFCE 1.3 Playtest Feedback

it's probably been suggested before but do you have any plans about changing the plague's unit killing mechanism? if the starting year of the civ is close to the plague's starting year it almost kills all defender units in the empire and also all the workers, I think it would be better the plague at least wouldn't hit the last defender unit in a city.
the later 1600's-1700's plagues are bearable since I usually already have lots of units but the earlier plagues forces me to cheat while playing. In my latest game as Teutons, I was waging war against the novgorodians to win the uhv, but suddenly plague killed all defenders in my inner cities, and 1-2 turns later recently conquered ones revolted because there were no defenders in the city. It was a really annoying moment since I suddenly ended up with more cities than units in the empire and this was causing enormous instability and revolts.

Agreed, plague mechanics are far from perfect.
Will get there eventually. ATM I'm not even sure what would be the best way to handle them in RFCE.

I made a few test start with Lithuania. Its still a lovely civ, but currently have some serious issues. 1, stating situation is very luck based, can be bad or worse. 2, they have no preset civics if you do not count paganism :s 3, 8/10 you wage war against Prussia on the west AND mongols from the east plus sometimes Novgorod on the north. with 5 bajoras! If sby dow on you, you get 2 more to fight back, lol. 3.5, The mongols: theoretically Kiev should hold them and Poland, Novgorod and you should mop up the rest. In the save below you can check how much i killed 85% in defense.

In any scenario 500 or 1200, human or AI Kiev cant hold them back, means you have to do it.
4, The 1. uhv: I state, that its not doable any more. Maybe with the in 1200 it is, but not in a normal svn version. (I would be happy to proved wrong)

Imo, they need the 2 feudal civics, more army and a lot more workers. You have to build an empire on bare(forested) land, since Kiev wont do this work, as it was intended several years ago.

ps: Prussia starts earlier, with more tech and more army and an easier task to do. I ask for only reasonable balancing.

View attachment Mindaugas AD-1383 Turn 261.CivBeyondSwordSave

Peaceful way for the Arabs 3/3 UHV on Monarch is possible, but it takes a long time
Tell el-Farama with Hansa League and Gardens of Andalus is monster city.

Revision 1195 is up, with lots of improvements.
Still need as many crashing savegames as possible, upload if you have any (with stating which version is it with)

I made a few test start with Lithuania. Its still a lovely civ, but currently have some serious issues. 1, stating situation is very luck based, can be bad or worse. 2, they have no preset civics if you do not count paganism :s 3, 8/10 you wage war against Prussia on the west AND mongols from the east plus sometimes Novgorod on the north. with 5 bajoras! If sby dow on you, you get 2 more to fight back, lol. 3.5, The mongols: theoretically Kiev should hold them and Poland, Novgorod and you should mop up the rest. In the save below you can check how much i killed 85% in defense.

In any scenario 500 or 1200, human or AI Kiev cant hold them back, means you have to do it.
4, The 1. uhv: I state, that its not doable any more. Maybe with the in 1200 it is, but not in a normal svn version. (I would be happy to proved wrong)

Imo, they need the 2 feudal civics, more army and a lot more workers. You have to build an empire on bare(forested) land, since Kiev wont do this work, as it was intended several years ago.

ps: Prussia starts earlier, with more tech and more army and an easier task to do. I ask for only reasonable balancing.

View attachment 406939

You were only behind by 150 culture, and killed 21 keshiks
I don't think any of those numbers is unreasonable.
You had to fight with the mongols, as you held the main area of Kiev after all.
Having as much as 1850 culture IMO proves that 2000 can be achieved, with some more luck or more optimal play.

Having said that, I know that many UHVs are not balanced yet, but as it's probably visible from the changelogs, recently I'm trying to improve various kinds of base stuff in the mod.
Balancing changes will come later.
On the other hand, I do think that most UHVs are perfectly enjoyable in their current state too :)

Peaceful way for the Arabs 3/3 UHV on Monarch is possible, but it takes a long time
Tell el-Farama with Hansa League and Gardens of Andalus is monster city.

I agree, that city spot should be very much weakened.

Mate that save is from a late start run! from 500 AD i got 11xx something while balancing expansion and culture! In 1200 scenrio, yes its possible 'cause kiev is stronger there then in any regular game. I do not even try Kiev for this reason. Steppe Horse archers eat spearman for breakfast.

So those numbers not really relevant.
ps: as Lithuania you cant really play optional, but you can choose to stay alive or go for UHV, even if you make it, then later you'll be crushed 100%
ps: nobody posted any Kiev 3/3 UHV game recently.

Mate that save is from a late start run! from 500 AD i got 11xx something while balancing expansion and culture! In 1200 scenrio, yes its possible 'cause kiev is stronger there then in any regular game. I do not even try Kiev for this reason. Steppe Horse archers eat spearman for breakfast.

So those numbers not really relevant.
ps: as Lithuania you cant really play optional, but you can choose to stay alive or go for UHV, even if you make it, then later you'll be crushed 100%
ps: nobody posted any Kiev 3/3 UHV game recently.
Chep do it
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12738391&postcount=7
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12586326&postcount=15

Ha! I began a game as Genoa, and Venice had lost Venesia to independents. I don't know if it seceded or was conquered, but still funny.

Ha! I began a game as Genoa, and Venice had lost Venesia to independents. I don't know if it seceded or was conquered, but still funny.

Capitals cannot secede.
So it was probably conquered by another civ, then seceded from the unstable new civ (it was most likely in foreign territory for them)

Btw, from my testgames it seems that the political map is getting into a much better shape with the recent revisions :)
Territories and city changes are much more dynamic, yet civs are mostly keeping their desired borders.

It was ages before! that was a different game with them! Even I could do it on viceroy and once on monarch. but not now.

Not really. At least not for Kiev.
The only things which makes the civ harder is the inclusion of Steppe Horse Archers instead of normal ones, and the inclusion of Novgorod.
On the other hand barbs spawn less often, and Novgorod tends to stay north enough not to be a big issue.

Otherwise it should be somewhat easier than before.
The various changes in the mechanics in the background didn't affect this too much.
Stability is hard, but should be managable, as it was before.
This change alone "Added a small initial food reserve on city foundation, currently 1/5 of the next growth threshold" means a huge advantage when going for the UHV.

Don't get me wrong, those Steppe Horse Archers are annoying sometimes :)
I will further decrease barbs in the area with my next commit (altough not by much)
I do plan to run a challenge with that version whenever I have time for it. Will show the result.

Here is my first test run! its only viceroy, but still failed the food by a lot 16k+/25k
However I was the biggest empire with the most population. If you ask me? change food, to have the most people at xxxx date, maybe less historical but more doable.
View attachment Yaroslav AD-1302 Turn 234.CivBeyondSwordSave

My savegame from 1179 AD.
Don't have any time to continue it ATM (will be back on Sunday), but I'm pretty sure I will easily accomplish all 3 goals.
Stability is pretty great with choosing the correct civics. I would even say it's much easier than before.
The fight against barbs is all about getting your units in some good positions, with forested hills. Note my killed and lost unit ratio in the statistic screen.

Kiev 3/3 UHV
Not optimal, used youtien's trick with liberated 2nd city to another civs (Bulgarians) for free units - 3 HA. Capture Constantinople for easy money(with save/load ofc)
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Yaroslav AD-1302 Turn 234end.CivBeyondSwordSave
    898.3 KB · Views: 63
Ok, I give up. My play-style simply doesn't fit for them. however taking Constantinopolis is a liability, sometimes even 5 konnik isn't enough for it, but respect for the uhv anyway.

ps: what is youtien's trick??

Top Bottom