Rhye's and Fall RAND: Preview #2

some ideas to the german list:

Category One

1. Berlin (~1200) (Capital)
2. Trier (16 BC) (considered as olderst german town)
3. Aachen (765) (HRE)
4. Frankfurt am Main (794)
5. Salzburg (~750) (now Austria)
5. Wien (BC roman founding, or ~900 firtst naming)
(austrian city and capital - only acceptable when germany is in the middle
age the HRE)
6. Prag (CZ: Praha) (~900)
(again only when germany = HRE, should be best named with the Czech
name, imo czech can be considered as equal language in this region before
the loss of the Hussite)
7. Stuttgart(950)
8. Nürnberg (1050)
9. Leipzig (1015)
10. München (1158)

other possible Cities:
Dortmund(880)
Düsseldorf(1135
Hannover(1200's)
Dresden(1206)
Halle, Magdeburg, Potsdam, Würzburg, Ulm, Karlsruhe, Köln, Schwerin, Goslar, Luxemburg, Essen ...

i think there are a lot of different lists possible

Category Two

1.Bremen (150)
2.Hamburg (808)
3.Lübeck (700)
4.Danzig (980) (now Poland: Gdańsk)
3.Königsberg (1255) (now Kaliningrad, Russia)
6.Elbing (890) (now Poland: Elbląg)
7.Rostock (1000's)
8.Oldenburg (low german: Ollnburg) (1108)
9.Stralsund (1168)
10.Greifswald (1199)
11.Kiel (1233)
12.Wismar (1000)
13.Wilhelmshaven(1869)

only changed the order and removed bremerhaven (if bremerhaven is included i wouldn´t include bremen as costal cities), corrected names and added today names and Wismar

for the other parts, difficult, if the Hanseatic League can be considered as german perhaps some town from there or the imperial german colonies or Helgoland

only some ideas

Portugal

1.Coastal
Lisboa
Porto
Tavira
Faro
Leiria
Lagos
Aveiro
Viana do Castelo
Setúbal
Figueira da Foz

2.Inland
Braga
Coimbra
Silves
Viseu
Lamego
Bragança
Évora
Guarda
Castelo Branco
Tomar

My one question about cities by civ is when major modern cities were founded by other civs.

Example, America... Naturally, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Honolulu, and Charlotte (among others) were all founded by other nations. Are we saying that newly founded American cities won't use these names as they didn't found the cities IRL?

I am happy to help with the American lists if need be

After all, many great European cities were founded by the Romans...

Here is Mali. This does include some Songhai and Ghanaian cities (indicated):

1- non-coastal cities in the continent
Niani - the actual capital of Mali
Kangaba - pre Malian Empire capital
Timbuktu
Jenne
Gao
Taghaza
Walata
Tadmekka
Wadan
Awdaghost
Teodeni
Bilma
Agades
Titchitt
Kirina
Takedda
Kita
Kulikoro
Kumbi Saleh (G)
Kukiya (S)
Kitsina, also called Katsina (S)
Kano (S)
Zaria (S)
Segu (S)
Arawan (S)
Hombori (S)
Rano (S)
Tondibi (S)
Diara (S)
Bamba (S)
Bussa (S)
Say (S)

2- coastal cities in the continent

Nioro (G)

Unfortunately, Mali was a landlocked Empire. Nioro was controlled by Ghana (the only Empire who made it to the coast), so I kept it. The other Ghana and Songhai cities could be used as other non-continent cities, if need be.

In that case, as a Canadian, that means I can only comment on overseas French and English lists? :)
Well, you're definitely more entitled than me (native French) to do that, as long as you bear in mind that overseas French and English cities shouldn't only be in Canada :)

This is as good as I could do for Japan:

Japan

Noncoastal Continental
Kyōto (capital, 6th century, originally Heian-kyō)
Nagano (642)
Fukushima (12th century)
Yamaguchi (14th century)
Matsumoto (15th century)
Takayama (16th century)
Morioka (1597)
Nagaoka (1616)

Coastal Continental
Fukuoka (ancient times)
Ōsaka (3rd century)
Kōbe (3rd century)
Kagoshima (14th century)
Edo (1457, Tōkyō after 1603)
Nagasaki (before 16th century)
Hiroshima (1589)
Sendai (1600)
Nagoya (1610)
Shimonoseki (18th century)
Yokohama (19th century)

Noncoastal Noncontinental
Sapporo (late 19th century)
Mukden (ancient, Japanese after 1905, also Shenyang [don’t know the Japanese name, Mukden is Manchurian])
Toyohara (1905)

Coastal Noncontinental
Naha (ancient times)
Hakodate (1454)
Kushiro (1869)
Ōtomari (1905)
Keijō (conquered 1910, Japanese name for Seoul)

Bamako is the current capital of Mali. Niani was the ancient Malian empire's capital. The original game has Kumbi Saleh as the capital.

And yes, I do know there are other overseas English and French colonies beside Canada. I won't forget. ;)

Hey Rhye, for your English cities:

Hamilton for list three. It was once a major town in Canada (still is, to a point).

For list four, I'd add Halifax (very important town and naval base for the English navy) and Victoria. Also, what about Belize?

Dutch

3) Non costal colonial (hard, as the Dutch didn't colonise continental and if they did, is was in jungle land, so not much)
Bloemenfontein
Johannesburg
Windhoek
Stellenbosch
Fort Nassau
Fort Oranje
Fort Zeelandia (many costal colonies are named likewise)
Noortwijck (New York area)

4)Costal colonies (New = Nieuw)
Kaapstad (in RFC Kaapstadt)
Nieuw Amsterdam (not only New York)
Nieuw Rotterdam
Walvisbaai (= whale Bay)
Batavia (= Djakatra)
Oranjestad
Willemstad
Mauritsstad
Paramaribo
Stabroek
Deshima (artificial island in Japan in the 1600's, Dutch tradingpost until the 1800's, also 't eyland Schisma)

Aslo many colonial cities were named Nieuw something, like Nieuw Utrecht, Nieuw Middelsburg,... but often very small towns.

One could aslo add the fictional Fort Tasman, as Tasman was an important explorer of the Dutch (Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania), but the Dutch never colonized these lands.

For list three: you can add Pretoria, and for list four, Pietermaritzburg

Here is Mali. This does include some Songhai and Ghanaian cities (indicated):

1- non-coastal cities in the continent
Niani - the actual capital of Mali
Kangaba - pre Malian Empire capital
Timbuktu
Jenne
Gao
Taghaza
Walata
Tadmekka
Wadan
Awdaghost
Teodeni
Bilma
Agades
Titchitt
Kirina
Takedda
Kita
Kulikoro
Kumbi Saleh (G)
Kukiya (S)
Kitsina, also called Katsina (S)
Kano (S)
Zaria (S)
Segu (S)
Arawan (S)
Hombori (S)
Rano (S)
Tondibi (S)
Diara (S)
Bamba (S)
Bussa (S)
Say (S)

2- coastal cities in the continent

Nioro (G)

Unfortunately, Mali was a landlocked Empire. Nioro was controlled by Ghana (the only Empire who made it to the coast), so I kept it. The other Ghana and Songhai cities could be used as other non-continent cities, if need be.

What about the coastal cities like Sefadu and that other one by the jungle in RFC. We can always use those as well.

As in the case of Beijing (mentioned earlier), with the city names not tied to tiles, is there any problem with having the same city when they are completely different? As given earlier Khanbaliq and Beijing. The average person would have no idea, and is it a big deal?

Now, names that are the same (or even quite similar, Fort Detroit vs Detroit) is a different story.

Just a question but for the Roman cities should we include modern day Italian cities or just cities founded by the Romans? Same with Roman and Italian colonies.

I would say just Ancient. There should be plenty of cities (especially if overlap is allowed, when significantly different). Italy is not a continuation of Rome and is only really connected via territory (as opposed to, say Germany and the HRE).

@Virdrago: Also a good list. I think something we need to work out is whether "another continent" means Europe or just things outside of what might be called "Mongolia," in a historical-ish sense. I favor the latter, since it gives us many more options, and since (with the exception of the invasions of Japan and Indonesia) oceans as we think of them haven't really been a big deal for the Mongols.

I have a bunch of comments on your list. Let me know what you think?

1- non-coastal cities in the continent:
Karakoto - one of the first cities taken by Genghis, named after the Kara-Kitai?
This city's name in Mongol literally means "Black City," sharing the "Khar" root found in Kharkhorum. I've never heard of it, but I'm not the last word on this sort of thing.
Urumchi - one of the first cities captured, and the area is part of the Mongol heartland.
Oh boy. The Uyghurs, Kyrgyz, and Chinese would dispute you on that one :D However, it *is* right next door to today's Mongolian lands, and is the capital of the "autonomous region" of a quasi-nomadic people that used to have the same writing system and religion as the Mongols. Also, I put Lhasa on my list, which is bound to infuriate someone in China, so there's no good reason not to use Urumqi too! However, I would put this in List 3, since it's not strictly "Mongol," in my personal view.
Khanbalyk - Beijing. Also called Dadu by the Mongols. Too confusing?
Again, Dadu is the Chinese name. Not confusing, just linguistically wrong, in my pedantic view :)
Kaifeng - captured by the Jurchen (related to the Mongols), before Mongolia took over. In China, so it could be a stretch.
Technically Lhasa and Urumqi are in "China" too, but Kaifeng is definitely in "China Proper," so maybe out.
Kashgar - part of the Silk Road. Mongol power is noted for their control of the Silk Road.
Hm, I like it! Kashgar has been important for the history of Inner Asia's nomadic peoples for as long as its existed (2000 years or so?), and no other Civ founds it (my logic for Lhasa, again), so why not?
Tashkent - destroyed by the Mongols, rebuilt by the Timurids. Silk Road again.
Bokhara - Mongols destroyed it, Timurids rebuilt it, part of Silk Road. See Tashkent.
I put Samarkand in my list, so there's no good reason not to include Tashkent or Bokhara, using the rationale that I used before. I would prefer to keep the number of cities of not strictly Mongolian origin to a minimum though, and was hoping to use Samarkand as simply a representative of most of "Turkic" Central Asia. Also, if I remember right, Samarkand crops up as an independent city in RFC as is, so it would be nice to see it again in some way.
Tabriz - In northern Iran, but we should have enough Persian and Arab names?
Kabul - In Afghanistan. Could be Arab or Persian, but Persian name would be Kabura.
Herat - Afghanistan again. Aria in Persian, Artacoana to Alexander the Great.
Nishapur - razed by the Mongols, almost two million killed. May be better as Arab or Persian city.
Kirman - important Islamic cultural centre, so may be better for Arabia/Persia.
Basra - probably better as an Arab city. Was under Mongol control for over 100 years.
Maragha - in northwest Iran. Used as a base to attack Anatolia and the Levant.
Balkh - Afghan city. Sacked by Genghis, then Tamerlane later. Ancient Bactra.
I think what you say about these cities being more Persian/Arabic/Islamic/etc is more correct. The Mongols who conquered and settled in these places, much like Khubilai Khan and his Yuen Dynasty in China, sorta merged with the local populous, losing their "Mongol nature," as big daddy Chinggis would have said :)
Shangtu - Kublai relocated his capital from Karakorum to here before moving to Khanbalyk (Beijing).
Good point, but Shangtu/Xanadu is Khubilai's summer palace just outside of what is today Beijing. I'm not sure it warrants being a city on its own.
Urga - original name of Ulaanbataar, Mongolia's modern capital. Renamed Ulaanbataar upon independence.
You raise a good point here, about cities whose names flip around through history. I would argue in favor of Ulaanbaatar since the city, in my view, was a good deal more important under that name than the other, both for the Mongols and Mongolia's relations with the wider world (being the seat of Communist power in Mongolia, and the name most people are more likely to have heard of).
Tatung - Northern China, north of Beijing. Another Jurchen city taken by the Mongols. Also called Datong.
Based on my 2minutes in Wikipedia :)lol:), I think the city may have been founded by the Chinese, but also based on an account by a traveler in the region in the 1910s that I read a few months ago (I know, I'm being snooty), the city was regarded as something like the last outpost of Chinese culture on the way to Mongolia. ./shrug
Sayram - Another Silk Road city. Today in Kazakhstan.
Chimkent - Caravanserai founded to protect Sayram. Genghis destroyed it, has been rebuilt.
I had never heard of these until now, but HOLY CRAP is Saryam old. Thanks for pointing this out, it's neat :) Again, for using these, it'll ultimately be a judgment call about how many not-strictly-"Mongol" cities we (and by we I mean Rhye and Rhye alone, in the end) want to use.
Hangchow - Chinese capital of the Southern Song until it fell to the Mongols. May have been renamed Lin'an?
Chunking - Major city in Central China when it fell.
Kanchou - One of the last Chinese cities to fall. Modern Ganzhou (not Guanzhou).
Judgment call: Too Chinese :(

4- coastal cities in another continent. Caucasian cities built on the Caspian are included here:
Serai - founded by Mongols in Russia. Supposedly was the capital of the Golden Horde for a while. Better than being named Old Serai like in the main game (see Berke Serai).
Berke Serai - founded by the Golden Horde to be closer to their Russian tributaries. Is thought to have been built in the Volga Delta, near the original Serai, by the Caspian (near Astrakhan). "Berke" is "New" in Mongolian (New Serai, like New Orleans and New York).
Hm. In no version of Mongolian that I've studied have I ever seen "berke" meaning "new." In my experience, it's always been "shine" "shin" "shinu" or something similar. Wikipedia says Berke was the name of a Khan in the Horde. Again though, Wikipedia and I are not the final word on this, so we could easily be wrong :)

Anyway, I wondered about using Sarai too. I don't remember why I decided not to include it, but now I'm thinking it should definitely be included in list three after all. Thanks for pointing it out :)

Derbent - In Caucasian Russia. Flourished under Mongol rule.
Holy crap, this one's super old too! Much like Kashgar, Urumqi, Lhasa, Samarkand, etc., it's not founded by any of the other Civs in the game, but unlike those others, I find it difficult to justify as a "Mongol" city. Kashgar, Samarkand, and Urumqi are centers for formerly kinda-nomadic Central Asian-ish peoples, and Lhasa's been connected to the Mongols for centuries, if not more, but Derbent goes so far back and has changed hands so many times I'd have a tough time saying it deserves to be Mongol and Mongol only. Still an interesting suggestion though.

Conclusions!: The most important things (IMHO) that you brought up are Kashgar (founded before 76BC) and Sarai (founded in the mid-1240s). I would put both of these in list 3, since they're not strictly in "Mongolia," as I alone view it, and they aren't really near large bodies of water (Astrakhan is almost on the Caspian, and Sarai is about 120km farther inland, with New/Berke Sarai even farther away).

Also, Urumqi, Taskhent, and Bokhara, might be candidates for inclusion, but with them, as with Kashgar, Lhasa, and Samarqand, it'll be a judgment call on Rhye's part for how "Mongol" they are. I would advocate in favor of including them on the Mongols' List III since they have all been important for Central Asia's nomadic peoples, in the current version of RFC (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong?) no other Civ really founds them, and they have all cropped up as important in Mongolian history at various points, but especially (with the exception of Urumqi) during the Empire.

The competitors for these cities would be Russia and Persia (Tashkent, Bokhara, and Samarqand), and China (Lhasa, Urumqi, and Kashgar). My gut says these cities have been "historically" (whatever that means) more a part of the Uzbek, Tibetan, Uyghur, Kara-Khitan, and various other kinda-indigenous but-still-related nomad-type peoples in Inner Asia, rather than part of the "Civilizations" of Persia, Russia, and China, despite being under the control of those latter three at various points in history (many being important and protracted).

Anyway, I'll revise my list, incorporating your suggestions (thanks again!), and make a separate post for it later.

Mongolia City Lists, V2.0, this time with minimal commentary. If you want my and Virdragos reasons for various things, see the previous posts on Pages 3 and 4 of this thread.

Cities are now in the appropriate chronological order, going by original date of foundation, though with dates of renaming also included.

I- Non-coastal Cities on the Home Continent

1. Kharakhorum- 1220
2. Hohhot- 1580
3. Ulaanbaatar- 1639 as Orgoo 1924 renamed to Ulaanbaatar)
4. Erkhuud - Founded 1652 by Russians trading with Buriats.
5. Ulaan-Ude (Ulan-Ude) - founded in 1666 as Udinskoye, 1775 renamed to Verkhneudinsk, and 1934 to Ulaan-Ude
6. Amarbayasgalant – 1727
7. Choibalsan- 1800s-ish as Bayan Tumen, renamed in 1941
7(b). Chahar – (alternative because Choibalsan was a meanie) - 1912
8. Sukhbaatar - 1940
9. Darkhan - 1961
10. Erdenet - 1975

II- Coastal Cities on the Home Continent

1. Gokturk - Between 551 and 747 AD (very debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
2. Khazaran - Somewhere between 600 and 1000AD (very debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
3. Khanbaliq – 1264 (not really costal, but that’s as close as the Mongols will get)
4. Khovsgol - province of Khovsgol founded in 1931 (debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
5. Khalkh Gol - site of major fighting in 1939 (debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
6. Olkhon - 1987
7. Uvs Nuur - A lake, no permanent settlements until the 1930s.
8. Hulun Nuur - A lake, no permanent settlements until the 1930s.
9. Dalai Hot - Literally, "Ocean City." Completely fictional
10. Shine Dalai Hot – “New Ocean City.” Fictional

III- Non-coastal Cities on Another Continent

1. Samarkand - Originally founded in 700BC-ish (debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
2. Bokhara – officially 500BC-ish, leveled by the Mongols in 1220 (debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
3. Tashkent – 400BC-ish, leveled by the Mongols in 1219 (debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
4. Kashgar – 76BC-ish (debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
5. Urumqi – founded by the Tang Dynasty in 0AD-ish, dubbed Urumqi in 1954 (debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
6. Lhasa - 641AD – ish (debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
7. Kazan' - mid 1400s.
8. Khem-Beldyr - Founded by Russians in 1914 (debatable validity, but perhaps better than a fictional city?)
9. Shine Kharakhorum - New Kharakhorum. Fictional.
10. Shine Ulaanbaatar - New Ulaanbaatar. Fictional.

IV- Coastal Cities on Another Continent

1. Astrakhan - existed in the 1200s, but rebuilt in 1459-ish.
2. Elista - 1865
3. Avalokiteshvara Hot – Fictional, name of religious origin following European model
4. Amitabha Hot - Fictional, name of religious origin following European model
5. Manjushri Hot - Fictional, name of religious origin following European model
6. Shakyamuni Hot - Fictional, name of religious origin following European model
7. Chinggis Hot – Fictional, name of political origin following European model
8. Khubilai Hot - Fictional, name of political origin following European model
9. Ogedei Hot - Fictional, name of political origin following European model
10. Monkh Hot - Fictional, name of political origin following European model

V – Leftover Sorta-Cities:
1. Shambala – Buddhist Utopia, name of religious origin following European model
2. Altyn Orda – mid 1200s (not really a city)
3. Chagatai Ulus - mid 1200s (not really a city)
4. Hulagu Ulus - mid 1200s (not really a city)

As a general note, I'm verifiying the dates for city foundation by Wikipedia, since that's the one and only resource we all have access to and kinda-sorta trust.

Also, I know no one's put me in charge of this, so apologies if the following sounds presumptive, but I'd love more comments/constructive criticism etc :)

Any thoughts, Rhye? Specifically, how do you feel about fictional city names working on the West European Colonial Naming Model (newly coined term!) and Inner Asian cities of importance to Mongolia but which weren't directly founded by them (i.e., almost all of List III)?

Top Bottom