Rhye's and Fall RAND: Preview #3

Rhye

's and Fall creator
(Preview #1 here)
(Preview #2 here)

Let's see how the RFC RAND world looks like.

The biggest priority is to ensure that the world contains all the civs at the same time.
Randomly generated maps usually fail, because their % of land is very low (the huge size can contain up to 11 civs), unless the size is exaggerately big.

This is the typical result of the Terra mapscript:

The ocean is 20 or more tiles wide.

RFC uses a different script, based on Terra, but that ensures that water coverage is limited to 60-65%.
A parameter called "Earth likelihood" (is it grammatically correct?) sets how much the world generated is similar to the Earth or more random.
Eventually, an algorithm checks that the two biggest groups of continents are separated by at least 5-6 water tiles.

This screenshot not only shows the landmasses. A few comments can be added:
- Oceans are enough big to separate the two "worlds"
- Terrains are disposed as shown in preview #1: big areas
- The equator isn't actually centered, but in this case, it's more southwards. Because of this fact, the (in this case) northern hemisphere is more comfortable (except for tundra and marshes), while the southern one offers a lot of jungle and desert
- This map is actually smaller than the one in the first screenshot!

Smaller "world"-separating oceans, and proportionally more land sounds fantastic to me. Keep up the awesome work :D

Looks amazing Rhye, I'm as excited for this as I was for RFC in BtS!

Are we still going to have the same continents as in the real world? (e.g. no European civ cities in South America for Inca)

looks very promising :)

Looks great!

I really think that you should do an sprit that make a "crosspoint" between continents, so just the new world civs will be alone... and Turkey should spawn right in that crosspoint!

But i am liking it so far, awesome :D

You have just proven the falsity of every single monotheistic religion in which god is not you, Rhye.

All hail Rye!

Also, may I suggest that plains form a buffer zone between tundra and grassland on the earth-like map. I can't think of anywhere on Earth where you go suddenly from very fertile food-crop-producing land (grassland) to snow-covered which can barely support a settled population (tundra).

In answer to the grammar question, 'Earth likeness' is better than 'Earth likelihood'.

Also, may I suggest that plains form a buffer zone between tundra and grassland on the earth-like map. I can't think of anywhere on Earth where you go suddenly from very fertile food-crop-producing land (grassland) to snow-covered which can barely support a settled population (tundra).

Tundra isn't snow covered: at least in the Earth map, it's the buffer zone between grass and snow, no?

It looks good, but why does the Old World continents are seperated by ocean? they can't reach each-other until optics (or by the Leif Erikson exploit).

It looks good, but why does the Old World continents are seperated by ocean? they can't reach each-other until optics (or by the Leif Erikson exploit).

If I remember right, civs from different continents continents don't have a lot to do with each other directly in RFC before Optics anyway, with the exceptions of Persia, Carthage, Egypt, the Mongols, and the Arabs. Even in those cases most of what happens is in the pursuit of UHVs which (I think?) won't be in RFCRAND.

I think it'll be OK, generally speaking (unless you're going for an Empty Earth Challenge, then you just get to suck it up and try harder!).

Of course, I haven't played Civ at all in a year now, and might be saying something controversial :)

It's just a case. Sometimes they are attached. A thin line of ocean is passable anyway (it just has to be within borders)

Will the civs be tuned to certain land types? e.g. will we see Arabia in a desert, Brits on an island etc.?

This is something for the next preview

I presume this game will still have UHVs, but they will have to be massively overhauled, surely?

Top Bottom