1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded - PART II

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Rhye, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

Yeah, how do you get that no one has posted in a year?

2. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Chieftain

3. Breunor

Breunor Chieftain

I just played this Mod for the first two times. It is really great! Great job by Rhye and all of the rest of the developers!

I played as Egypt the first game and got pounded. Now, I'm trying them again and am in it, doing well, on about turn 250.

A few questions: I saw a reference to a gaame of the month like competition. How do I get the file? I would like to try it for fun and learning even if the game is closed.

It looks like you have to be REALLY worried about dogpiles. They can get out-of-control, but of course you can return the favor.

In both of my games, Japan seems to be overwhelmingly strong early, although now they are falling behind in tech.

Why did the Samurai unit change? In real battle, they did do most of their damage on horseback with a bow, despite the sterotyping of them as sword wielders.

But I can't get over how good this Mod really is. I've played a lot of games, but you have made this really, really good. My biggest complaint about Civ is exactly what you addressed -- that currently, the early expansion phase of the game dominates regular Civ and Conquests. In thsi mod, there are fewer cities, so it is faster, more fun, and other strategies have to be considered.

Thanks,

Breunor

4. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

thanks breunor.
    the dogpiles could be even worse. Fortunately I introduced limitations to contacts trade, scouts, mountains. Imagine without...

About the monthly challenge, you should wait the next one, which should start in a few game.
    It is managed by Blasphemous. But where is he?? :confused:

5. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

I'm here, I'm just overwhelmingly busy.
    RMC2 will take a while to prepare, especially seeing I'm not gonna have internet access for three days starting tomorrow, and again for five days starting Sunday...
    If Rhymes and SilverKnight want to take over the project for this month, I'd appreciate it.

6. Breunor

Breunor Chieftain

Blasphemous,

I would still like to download last month's game. I don't really care about posting or score -- I'm just trying to become a better player.

Is there somewhere I can download this? It looks neat!

Bruce

7. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

Yes, there's a link in the Monthly Challenge section in the mod website.

8. the100thballoon

the100thballoon Chieftain

I dont know if any of you use them, but quite a while ago I created some flavor army units. I created these units (with MUCH help from Vuldacon) with ROC in mind. I dont know if you guys want to use them or not but I just thought Id let you know in case you wanted to add a "patch" or link to my thread in the first post. :mischief: I will post a link in a little bit. I have to leave now.

9. ciceroo

ciceroo Chieftain

Ciao Rhye,

I played your Mod a several times with European Civs. It's great so far, really good work! But to come to my complaints... I know it's your policy to have as least cities numbers as possible, but I often wondered why the AI-controlled European Civs waste so much space... I saw Austria with over 5 tiles between their cities on emporer difficulty, although their land is of good quality to support more cities. Is there any way to change the computers settlement strategy in the editor or is that somewhat hardcoded? (i don't care if the loading times suffer slightly)

Another complaint directs the number of wars between the European Civs... nothing's going on there except some dogpiles against myself but this only happened 2 times to me. For example, Austria was pretty mighty but all expansion done, so why don't they try to give Germany or Bycance, which were far weaker at that time, a little visit?
    Is there any way to influence that in the editor, because a little more European struggle would be the spice in the soup for me :)

Despite that this is the best balanced and by far most interesting civ experience for me...

cicero

10. Roi du Culture

Roi du Culture Bohemian Protecter

Livorno is such a beautiful city...anyway, i think there should be saltpeter in Sicily. It was one of Europe's main sources.

11. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

post the link......

12. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Hello cicero, and thanks.

-> I'm afraid there's no way to tweak AI behavious on this. It has nothing to do with loading times: AI just doens't build a new city inside its borders most of the times.

-> Increase the aggression level when you start a new game

13. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Livorno a beautiful city? :eek: :p
    Well, it's actually a nice place to live in, but there are no beautiful monuments here (but they're close. Tuscany is a great place)

Anyway I thank you for the info.

In this moment the development of 1.3 is halted.
    I have a list of tweaks to do, which now contains this Sicilian tip.
    If development restarts, it will be considered. Thanks!

14. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Chieftain

@ Blasphemous: I'd be happy to work on it some. Send me whatever you have done already (I believe we already settled on a Civ), any necessary files or whatever, and I'll be in touch with Rhymes. You should have my contact info, if not, email me through the site.

@ Rhye: I agree with ciceroo about adjusting the aggression levels in Europe slightly. While historically correct, the Civs not generally known as world powers like Egypt, Greece or Scandinavia still initiated war a lot, they just didn't gain much territory they could hold. Boosting their aggression wouldn't upset the balance, it would just make Europe more of the battlefield is tends to be in history! :spear: (I just never get to use that smilie! :p )

SilverKnight

15. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

SilverKnight, I actually haven't done a thing yet with RMC2, but I already gave Rhymes what you wrote up so it's up to him to continue from there...
    I just got back from a convention and I'm too tired to do anything... I'll be too busy to do anything tomorrow, and then on Sunday I'm going to Egypt for five days. I'll be busy again when I get back, and then a bit less busy for a week before the business continues.
    =\

16. the100thballoon

17. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Oops.

I just reminded that Civ3 doesn't allow multiple army animations, unlike other units.
    We can add them, but when a leader creates an army, it becomes the standard one.
    That was the reason for changing the 2nd French UU from the Grand Armée (a more powerful army) to the Grand Battery. :(

18. the100thballoon

Really? I thought you could just make the (in your case) "Grand Armée" only available to the French and make the "Army" unit (origional) only available to everyone but France.

This wont work? I will test if I get time.

19. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

If I recall correctly, the leader creates a standard army, ignoring what's available to the civ.

20. Ville

Ville Chieftain

But you could upgrade the standard army to Grand Armée. That would definately work if you play as French. I have no idea what AI would do. :)