1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded - PART II

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Rhye, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I had promised that, and here it is:

THE REVIEW!!!

(the page has been scanned from an italian magazine)

2. Blackbeard

Blackbeard Hangaround

Moin Rod i have an missing entry for the KontikiRun.flc
    Can i just rename the dromon one?

3. Blackbeard

Blackbeard Hangaround

I solved the problem. I find the unit in the CFC Forum.

The next prob i found was

this doesn´t match. I gave em the Confucianism trait instead of the buddhism one.

btw. great idea to include a civ like them.

4. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

Well, I'm re-addicted to RoX, after a couple months off... I started a game of Carthage on Thursday and have been having a hard time doing anything else since...
    There was some weird crash just now, some files are missing in my modern settler folder in the standard game units folder... I'll reinstall later...
    Anyway, I had some ideas for naval unit renames and I caught one pedia mistake:
    In the Galleon's pedia entry, it says "carry" instead of "carries".
    My idea for renaming naval units is to give the wooden boats some more generic names...
    I was thinking we should call the Junk "Ancient Transport", call the Caravel "Cargo Ship", and call the Galleon "Sail Transport".
    That way the Junk wouldn't be so out of place in the Mediterranean, and the other two wouldn't be so out of place in the east...
    I'll do all the RMC stuff I promised to do later this week... I'm taking today off from all obligations... Need to get some rest after all that business... (I'm on vacation for the rest of the week, btw. Been on vacation for the last week and a half as well, but I was busy.)

5. Tutnkamn

Tutnkamn Chieftain

Rhye...Congrats on this great game mod on my behalf. It is the greatest mod in every aspect speccially the game balance and reality of the history.I wonder how much time did you spend with balancing units and game machine itself..and how many guys were there to help you with that tremendous job?
    I wonder why the Firaxis team dont see the opportunity to get the game to the new dimensions with the small investments on you guys...i personnaly would imployed you as soon as i could...but on the other hand the project of the gaming industry is soo fast that the work to make game playable is behind the scedule .
    Anywhay Rhye...here in Slovenia your game is big hit!
    :) ;)

6. V. Soma

V. Soma CFC Staff

Rhye!
    Herewith I would like to express my delight seeing that finally you get
    the attention you deserve!
    CONGRATULTIONS!

And hey, convince Firaxis that you would be their man!
    (well, in case you wish to be)
    :)

Soma

7. Three_Crowns

Three_Crowns Information Retrieval

Congratulations on the review, Rhye! Even though I took the "RoC-Italian lessons" ;) I am having trouble reading it - what is their verdict? and the pros/cons?

8. Imperium

Imperium Chieftain

Hi all, I'm new here,this mod looks great but......
    I've installed civ 3 + conquests,1.22 patch,and rhye's of civ mod in this order.
    Anyway I can't play with it because I have this error message ""FILE NOT FOUND: "art\units\ancient settler\ \ \ \ \ \art\units\settler\settdefault.flc"".
    This mod works with the english version only???
    I have the italian version of the game.

9. Blasphemous

Blasphemous Graulich

Yes, it only works with the English version of the mod, but I believe it's possible to set up your directory so that the mod will work with foreign names.
    I don't know exactly what to do, but I bet Rhye or some other Italian here can give you detailed instructions. Possibly even other non-Italians can, I dunno.
    It's probably possable to set up a downloadable patch for making the mod work with foreign versions of the game... That would be a nice project to do, if someone's interested. (I myself am not, but it's an idea...)

10. James I

James I Victory at Sea...

i read page 1 and page 27 :p

What is the deal with a possible multiplayer??? has it happened, or will it happen??

11. Rod

Rod Chieftain

Gruess Dich,

I have fixed the upload and include the missing file. Sorry for that to all the people.

12. Rod

Rod Chieftain

hello,

ist not a problem mere a discussion topic imho ;)

Maybe you are right and Buddism isnt the ideal choice for the Malayan People, but Confucianism is even more worse. I will quote the Civilopedia Entry:

"In terms of religion, most of the Malays are Muslims; they form the dominant religious group in Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei. Their conversion to Islam from Hinduism and Theravada Buddhism began in the 1400s. Most Malays in Singapore and Thailand are also Muslims. Most Malays in the Philippines have been Christians since the colonization by Spain. Hinduism is the dominant religion in the island of Bali while small groups in other parts of the archipelago practice animism and Buddhism"

So maybe Malay shall be Hindi and Islam ?

(or even better Pagan Cult and Islam so there a minimal chance to build Maoi Statues in the right part the world ;) )

13. Rod

Rod Chieftain

@Rhye
    (or now we may call you Gabriele ? ;) )

Congrats to this great Review (you should really summarize what they wrote)

"What you deserve is what you get."

Real congratulations and you really deserve it !

yours
    Ruediger (Rod)

14. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

Great job Rhye! That article is sweet.

Now only if I could read Italian ...

15. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Chieftain

Sure, I'll expand a little more on the ideas, and assign some point values. I'll email you within the week with the Word doc. :goodjob:

If anyone wants to join in creating Rhye's Monthly Challenge 2, email me or Blasphemous (no PM please)!

By the way, need some help totalling the points from RMC1? I still have the scoring sheet, just fill me in on what to do and how to do it.

SilverKnight

16. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Thanks, you can call me Gabriele or Gabri or Gabriel if you want :)

The article descibes more or less every aspect of the mod, aspects you already know.

Here are the most interesting quotes:

"Pros:
    ->Very fast loading
    ->New terrain graphics set
    ->Superb realism and balancement
    Cons:
    ->Players used to the standard rules may not like this mod"

"In case you've used up all the original Civilization III challenges, an italian boy comes to your assistance with a very interesting, and above all, fast, mod"

"The editor was pushed to its limits to add religions"

"Every aspect was polished like if this mod were an official Sid Meier's expansion"

"The gameplay differences with the original game are considerable enough to justify the existance of many strategy guides"

17. the100thballoon

the100thballoon Chieftain

@Rhye
    Did you request to be in that magazine or do they just recognize sheer genius when they see it?

18. Breunor

Breunor Chieftain

Thanks Stile.

Yes, the disease was a MAJOR issue. Egypt needs to start fast and if Thebes gets hit early, it is very tough.

I am going to win my second game (I'm on turn 380, I will win a Historiograph victory), and it also helps playing a second time since you know where to go. It is a big advantage.

I really loved playing this.

I still have a few questions, though: It seems that the Democratic Republic is really hit hard. With no support and 3 gold/unit, they are really difficult to use. In the regular game, democracy is just one/unit and republic 2 above support. 3 per unit seems harsh. What is the 'preferred' government? I've been using Absolute Monarch.

Dogpiles still seem to dominate. I lost an early game to one. Now, I've learned how to dogpile my opponent and it seems too strong. I have to admit, I don't know what you can do about it.

Despite these points, this was an unbelievable game in every way. Thanks everyone!

Breunor

19. Rhymes

Rhymes Drive 4 25 is back

Congrats Rhye, this only shows that I have the ability to recognise great mods ;)

20. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

You should try and see if you can get in an english speaking magazine next. That would be pretty awesome.