Ridiculously awesome starts

Rpger29

Prince
I had an absurdly good start early today that I figured I'd share. I did cook the settings quite a bit, but the start just kept getting better and better. Here's the settings:

Small Highlands
5 civs
8 city states
standard age
wet
small lakes
abundant resources

The start went like this: riverside start with 2x copper, 1x silver, 2x grain, sheep, about 10 river tiles (four flood plains) and several forests/grasslands in range. I popped the following ruins: population, animal husbandry, population, 1st scout upgraded to archer, culture, money, barb camp locations, faith, 2nd scout upgraded to archer, faith, culture.

Because of the free early population, I was able to stagnate and work hills early. That's how the two scouts got out so quickly, even while building a monument.

Anyone else have any crazy starts lately?

That sounds like an awesome start.

Heh I even ended up with a third Scarcher and another culture and faith ruin.

While not a good start for my capitol I once founded a city with 5 sheep bring withing the 2 workable rings of the city, one wine and one silver.
That really was a good city, except I kept getting my admirals there (it was a coastal city to a small inland ocean). ._.

Started a game yesterday as Japan on King on the Earth map, starting in NE Africa. My capitol was founded on the river with 4 citrus, and 3 sugar nearby (2 of each within my starting borders), just a little south was some spice and 2 wine with a nearby mountain for my 2nd city, and city 3 got a mountain and 2 cotton. Needless to say, I was making some money and selling those lux off as fast as I could. Also on the close by Arabian peninsula was some copper and marble with a nice hill for a city.

I've posted this pic once before, it's from an old Succession Game, but I have yet to see a location better than this. Look what's here:
5 unique lux (2x gold, marble, gems, sugar and dyes);
6 stable resources (4-pack horses + 5 sheep), river-hill placement, wheat, it's just insane how strong this location is:

It wasn't the start location, this is Memphis, the capital of Egypt is of course Thebes, but we found this just west of our start. It was a no-brainer where we had to put our first city... We could easily have gone a difficulty higher, had we known this in advance. The game became too easy.
Small fractal map, standard settings.

Last night I chose Napoleon, and when I got my pantheon, I noticed there were four sheep hexes in the city working limits, so I chose +1 culture per pasture. Then I researched Animal Husbandry and two horse hexes showed up too.

Awesome?

Awesome!

Spoiler :

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    561.1 KB · Views: 44
I've posted this pic once before, it's from an old Succession Game, but I have yet to see a location better than this. Look what's here:
5 unique lux (2x gold, marble, gems, sugar and dyes);
6 stable resources (4-pack horses + 5 sheep), river-hill placement, wheat, it's just insane how strong this location is:

It wasn't the start location, this is Memphis, the capital of Egypt is of course Thebes, but we found this just west of our start. It was a no-brainer where we had to put our first city... We could easily have gone a difficulty higher, had we known this in advance. The game became too easy.
Small fractal map, standard settings.

That my friend, is the best city placement I've ever seen! And you had this on standard settings for resources???? Crazy! And you almost got the fish too! That's what I love about this game, it still surprises me. I was going to post one, but there's no point now that I've seen this city!

While not a good start for my capitol I once founded a city with 5 sheep bring withing the 2 workable rings of the city, one wine and one silver.
That really was a good city, except I kept getting my admirals there (it was a coastal city to a small inland ocean). ._.

I wish they would just mark anything that doesn't connect to the main ocean a lake. I had a coastal city once with resources, but some of them were blocked by ice, and the part of my city touching the ocean wasn't there so I couldn't send work boats. Sometimes I just wish they would make it that once any part of the five hexes from a city was ocean and was claimed by you, you could build naval units, and a lighthouse as long as part of your three hex workable radius was ocean and claimed by you.

And you had this on standard settings for resources????
Yes. The Succession Game was the first Von Münchhausen, you can find the whole game in the forums here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=430037. I only had the game for a month or so by that time. Even without much comparison it was obvious that this was a strong location, but I've never gotten anything that could even stand in the shadow of this.

To OP: that was a good if not spectacular starting scenario, but the huts and upgrades you got from them were the fantastic part.

Could you post your start saves for the interesting games please?
I just started playing king, but would be good to have good starts when I move up levels to ease into it.
Cheers in advance.

Top Bottom