Ring City Placement

I use the 1.5 diagonal distance until it lines up method. So if the ring is a x.5 distance I know I have to go either 1, 3 of 5 diagonals before I go straight. If the ring is a x.o distance I know I have to go 0, 2 ,4 , or 6 before going straight. This is when I'm actually building the cities on a test map.

I use the back of engineering paper which has a 5 lines per inch grid to lay out the test patterns. Then it is just a matter of transferring that pattern to the game, but after a while if you know what
distance you want the rings you don't even need the diagram.

Another thing I do sometimes is print out a map image (screenshot of the zoomed-out view), and then mark planned city locations on that.

Placing cities to share a corruption slot is an important aspect, but I also prefer to keep the total number of cities down so that can utilize the maximum number of tiles per city before Sanitation.

I try to keep all the corruption elements in mind including the OCN factor and thus want to Minimize the number of cities and their distance to the capital while Maximizing the total tiles they utilize.

Lining up the city is what I found myself doing as well. One of the great things about this strategy is that you don't have to commit fully to it. You could settle where resources suggest, then either use RCP to match that distance, or just use it when it doesn't matter much where you settle a particular city. In this way, a player could ease into this approach, without any burden or even a great deal of calculation. Unlike most strategies, first-timers could incorporate it easily, at least in part.

Originally posted by Cartouche Bee
It's about time that someone formalized this concept. I've been doing symmetrical builds for quite some time to leverage off the corruption calculations. Now I know to keep an even tighter reign on placing and positioning.

:goodjob:

[Edit] I had a game as the Koreans lately that I posted a shot of the build, I affectionately called it the Korean Death Star build out. :lol:

Yes, I noticed that one. :)

Often, however, there are so many other considerations that a nice, clean ring doesn't happen. One extra shield or food early on, or fresh water access, or connecting to a resource sooner, or occupying a strategic location, can easily make up for the loss of efficiency.

It need not be a perfect ring though. Always if there is an equal choice between two or more spots, picking one that ties in distance with another city location is profitable.

Originally posted by Ribannah

Often, however, there are so many other considerations that a nice, clean ring doesn't happen.

I think the integrety of the first ring has more flexibilty that the second ring. Once you get out there the more cities that can be evenly placed, the better. if one of those cities can't be placed perfectly for what ever reason make sure you place it further rather than closer. ;)

I had a thought about incorporating the Forbidden Palace into RCP.

Alexman says that "The FP gets a whole new set of cities where the number-of-cities factor starts at zero".

So I guess the only thing to watch out for is if a city in the outer Palace ring interferes with the outer FP ring.

I did an illustration to show what I mean... sorry about the acid colourscheme! In this example, there is a Palace on the left and a FP on the right, with colour coded distances marked to the nearest. The two sites at distance 10 from the palace (boxed in red) would interfere in a second ring about the FP if that ring was at a distance of more than 7. The blue ones also if that ring was at distance of more than 8.5.

I don't know but I assume that because they are closer to the FP, they are excluded from the Palace intervening city count, and included in and subject to the FP intervening city count? That would also mean that the sites of say distance 8, west of the FP, would not interfere in the Palace outer ring even though they were inside it?

Attachments

• distance rings - fp.gif
    distance rings - fp.gif
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,691
Nice picture! You're right that taking the FP into account is very important.

I don't know but I assume that because they are closer to the FP, they are excluded from the Palace intervening city count, and included in and subject to the FP intervening city count? That would also mean that the sites of say distance 8, west of the FP, would not interfere in the Palace outer ring even though they were inside it?
Building on the FP-8 squares inside the Palace-10 ring will increase corruption for all Palace-10 cities. (Except the red 7's which benefit from the FP.)

Originally posted by Pie Man

My understanding is that there is no exclusion. You count out the city number from each of the two places. And then you take the lower number.

So if City A is #6 from the palace and #7 from the forbidden, then City A has city # equal to 6, but the #7 from the FP is wasted.

Originally posted by Pie Man
I don't know but I assume that because they are closer to the FP, they are excluded from the Palace intervening city count, and included in and subject to the FP intervening city count?

That would be too convenient. ;)
They are not excluded. Such cities increase the intervening city count for both Palace and FP. That's why it's often best to have your FP and Palace with minimum overlap, even if that means putting one of them in a far corner of your Empire that would increase average distance corruption.

I was wondering if this (RCP) in any way would affect communism.
I know this may sound silly, and this is just a wild shot in the dark, in hopes there might be another programming loophole.

Logic says that communism's corruption is based solely on # of cities. But what if it is set to be based on the 'city rank' of the worst city?

So if you have say 30 cities on a standard map, corruption in communism is just pitiful. But what if 15 of the farthest away cities would all rank as the #15 city by using the ring placement? So would the game consider that you have 15 or 30 cities?

Basically, I just want clarification that the game does count each and every city in communism (regardless if they share the same distance), and not just by using the worst city as a base to figure corruption for all your other cities.

P.S.
I'm getting a vision of some sort of extreme variant (that wouldn't happen in a 'normal game') where you have your capital, and then 10-20 tiles away you have some sort of 'super ring' of a whole slew of cities and they all would rank as the #2 city, thus since you only have '2' cities, corruption should be extremely low.

Very interesting point/question, Bamspeedy.
Originally posted by Bamspeedy
P.S.
I'm getting a vision of some sort of extreme variant (that wouldn't happen in a 'normal game') where you have your capital, and then 10-20 tiles away you have some sort of 'super ring' of a whole slew of cities and they all would rank as the #2 city, thus since you only have '2' cities, corruption should be extremely low.
Gee, if you can get that to happen in an actual game I'll eat my clothes and give ya 20 bucks! ;)

Originally posted by WillJ
Very interesting point/question, Bamspeedy.Gee, if you can get that to happen in an actual game I'll eat my clothes and give ya 20 bucks! ;)

No problem, Huge pangea map, Chieftain level :p

I just tested this, and this is not exploitable for communism. I had a ring of 24 cities at a distance of 10, and each city I built added to the corruption. What really shows how sucky communism is, if you have only your capital, you still suffer 24% corruption (deity level, tiny map). I went from 24% corruption with just the capital, and each city added ~1% corruption, so at the end I had 46% corruption when I built the last city.

I must admit that I hate playing this way, it seems so .... mathamatical/mechanical. But, when I tried it, it really works. I did a ring of 3 and a ring of 5 due to the map. I think I would rather try and fit a 3 and a 6 in ordere to use all 12 square allowed before hospitals.

Now I have to work on draining workers from the cities I don't want and abandoning them.

Has one one tried 3 rings? What/How does that look?

Originally posted by serttech2003

Has one one tried 3 rings? What/How does that look?

I have a 3/6/10 ring arrangement started on my special test map that I should finish this weekend when my playing Gotm21 gets too intense and I need a break.

Nice analysis of this strategy I did this in gotm19 but only with one ring at a distance of 3. That game was too land bounded in all directions so a second ring would not have gained much.

At any rate if the biggest gain is in the second ring then the initial ring you could be much more loose with, for instance you could use a combination of say 3 and 3.5 (which many have used inadvertantly for ages) or 2 and 2.5 for a very squarish ICS. Both of them would give you 8 inner cities so the second ring still has 9th city corruption. Whereas the two inner rings have second and fifth city corruption (4 cities in each group) with assumbably better placement.

Its a tough estimate but I think for the early game the inner ring will benefit more by better placement than equal distance from the capital, for instance settling on a river shieldland is a big loss. With that in mind and with what others have said this may be best used for your FP and/or palace jump for midgame or later. Not to mention with that in mind you could better plan your FP or palace once you've seen all the land and find a spot where two rings are unimpeded by mountains, etc.

On a completely difference note, I can't say I like the looks of this strategy in that if it is much better than "normal" placements its going to require everyone to use it to stay competative, which reduces the variability of the game greatly. And then removes one of the most hotly contended facets of the game, city placement. ;)
Since there would be no way to enforce this as an exploit I think this is merely a code bug, even when two cities are the same distance they are still ordered in some fashion and the 3rd city is still the 3rd city, this is more a fault of the corruption algorithms than a plain error on firaxis' part.

Originally posted by Smirk
Its a tough estimate but I think for the early game the inner ring will benefit more by better placement than equal distance from the capital, for instance settling on a river shieldland is a big loss.

I certainly think this is a reasonable alternative. The larger the number of cities in the ring, the more important to have them all at the same distance (i.e., the larger the benefit from RCS over random placement). The outer ring (generally) has more cities, so exact placement is more important there.

That said, I find in a couple of tries that it can work pretty well to stick with a fixed distance for the inner ring, but not build all the sites. If you choose a small ring, then it may well have more sites than the number of cities you really want to have that close in, and they overlap quite a bit, so the ring cities on either side can generally use the spaces from the cities you leave out. For example, in GOTM20, I had an inner ring at distance 3.5; there are 8 sites at that distance; one was unbuildable water; one was on the edge of the coast and would have mostly had water spaces available to it; one was surrounded by a fair amount of desert which isn't that valuable to work; so I only built on the other 5. Also of course I chose the 3.5 distance based on the fact that it worked well on this particular map, particularly considering the resources and the availability of fresh water.

[Note Added: the ICS style is to build even more cities than this, but I think that ICS in the inner core (as opposed to farther out) isn't particularly compatible with RCP; RCP gets its benefit from having a ring with a lot of cities with low corruption, and so it doesn't really make sense to have a bunch of small cities close in, not producing all that much (because they are all small) but adding corruption to all of the cities in the outer ring.]

BTW, I don't particularly agree that settling on a river shield grassland is a bad location. Once you grow to size 7, the city core generates an extra shield for the shield on the terrain, so settling on the shield grassland and operating an adjacent regular grassland gives you just the same result as settling on the regular grassland and operating the shield grassland. When your city is smaller than that, you do potentially lose a shield, but often when your city is small you have several reasonable tiles to work anyway.

And, aside from the shield, settling on rivers is much better than settling away from them.

With that in mind and with what others have said this may be best used for your FP and/or palace jump for midgame or later.

In GOTM20 I found that the game went so fast, and my main core was so productive, that I had the game well in hand before I got any significant amount of output from my second (FP) core. I think that if you're playing fairly aggressively, that this may end up being true pretty consistently: you can already roll over the AIs by the time you get your second core going. Perhaps this will be less true on huge maps; I'm not sure.

On a completely difference note, I can't say I like the looks of this strategy in that if it is much better than "normal" placements its going to require everyone to use it to stay competative, which reduces the variability of the game greatly. And then removes one of the most hotly contended facets of the game, city placement. ;)

I don't really think that RCP does remove much variability. Several people have expressed an intention to try some form of RCP in GOTM21. It will be interesting to see what those games look like, but my suspicion is that they will all look quite different. There are still a lot of choices to make.

Since there would be no way to enforce this as an exploit I think this is merely a code bug, even when two cities are the same distance they are still ordered in some fashion and the 3rd city is still the 3rd city, this is more a fault of the corruption algorithms than a plain error on firaxis' part.

As you say, it's hard to ban: How can you tell people they can't build cities where they like? So unless Firaxis decides to change the formulas in a patch, I think it's just something we have to live with, for better or worse. I don't think it makes the games less fun on its own, but I do think that perhaps it's one of a number of game techniques that people are learning to take advantage of that all together are too powerful, making the game too easy to win quickly and decisively, even at high difficulty levels. Every technique that we discover and refine and that the AI doesn't understand and can't use, puts it at more and more of a competitive deficit. That's sort of too bad, but I don't see what to do about it.

Originally posted by Smirk

I don't agree. RCP means you really have to think much more about city placement. Earlier, you just plopped them down in good locations (next to coast/river, near bonus/luxuries), but now you have another factor to include, corruption. I don't see how this would make city placement any easier.

Control Freak, That’s exactly what I was thinking (and working hard to implement). I have several plans ready for trial but the thing is that the ton of planning is a bit hard to handle and that the map might influence your pre-designed plans.

Smirk, I would agree with you only for the first part of the game, and this would go with the switch from Capital to Forbidden Palace. But my test trials were usually for the first ring (didn’t get to use the second ring), and still saw a lot of improvement over my original productivity. What I would do is consider the ring distance based on strategic reasons. This is how I would choose between 3, 3.5 and 4 distance which all allowed 8 cities.

I don’t know about you but I prefer the 3.5 – 7.5 ring city distances. They look very good and allow more cities in ring two with enough tiles for growth in ring one. Consequently I prepared these two designs. The first one is a standard design RCP (3.5, 7.5).

The second is a Jump Capitol design. The legend follows: The numbers in parenthesis are distance to Capitol and distance to Forbidden Palace. X says that the city will be disbanded. The result will be:

Stage one: around capitol: Ring one 4 cities @ 2.5 (A and B). Ring one and a half 4 cities @ 3.5 (C and T). Ring two 5 cities @ 5 (D and E).

Stage two. Capitol is abandoned. T cities are abandoned. around FP: Ring one: 4 cities @ 3.5 (A and F*) + 4 new cities @ 3.5 (also A). Ring two: 6 cities @ 7.5 (B, C and D) + 14 new cities. Ring three: 3 cities @ 10.

I guess you’ll agree this sounds very good in theory. The real problem is applying it. Like I said before I’m applying “Jump Capitol RCP” derived strategies in GOTM 21 but matching the theory with the map seems like a disaster for now.

Top Bottom