Rise and fall of the roman empire

From the proud city of Neapolis and from the mountain top that oversees all Latium, the old Vesuvius, inspired by our Brother gods of Mars and Vulcan I adress ye, my fellow senators:

The proud Hawks, which I humbly represent, have made me swear that I, senator Monarchus, as long as my body still breathes, shall not allow the Carthaginian child sacrificers a rest. Also they have called upon me to asure that proper respect is given to them as one of the leading parties in the senate (the oldest by far) for some "fishy" arguments have risen to test their knowledge in the arts of war. It is therefore my duty to sum up, point out and share with you, my fellow patricians, the battle plan that the Hawks have developed for further deliberations among the respected members of the Senate.

First I also would like to thank consul Traianus for his strong effort and welcome him back to the Senate. I will keep this as short as I can in replying to young Consul Olivero's mandatory speech. First allow me to coloquially jest that, his insatiable apetite for wine is matched only by my voratious apetite for Carthaginian blood. Therefore Palma is in both of our agendas.

Since the dreaded war lingers and since consul Traianus has left a sizeable reserve force in the north I hearby affirm:

After Palma is eventually subdued, we must make one final effort to overtake at least one other Carthaginian poorly defended city (Narbo seems the best choice as for it's luxury resources are not to be ignored and the dreaded merchants of Moloh will never give it peacefully to us). Who knows, maibe Mars favours us and sends his furies upon Carthage and they might even decide to give us both Saguntum and Valentia in exchange for peace afterwards. This will unite our holdings in Spain and let us prepare for the comng 20 years of peace to meet the best these Barbarians can throw at us. For fear not, in 20 years there will be war again!

The troubles of internal affairs I trust entirely on the consul's decisions. I would however say that Pharus and the Praetorian office are far to premature as they both cost large amounts of upkeep and little benefits for the time beeing. Also take care, proud consul not to establish Granaries in cities that already have them or cannot outgrow the colonia status for that would be a waste of precious time. Conscription shall also cease as soon as we have reached our maximum supported army and should consist mainly in Legios, foreign of course were possible, but, in my warlike opinion, no sooner.

As for the Foreign Affairs, the debate is only just begun (I see a certain fear in a certain magistrate's eyes, but fear not for Hawks stand for justice rather than blind meaningless confrontations). A few logical arguments:

Say by the middle of Consul's Olivero's mandate we shall have a cease fire in the South. The immediate course of action is, of course north. We all agree. The Eagle's fortress although feared shall fall to the hawks cunning attacks only after the Gauls are defeated.

This leaves us with a choice: Shall we secure the timber from OUR righteous island of Sicily, take it's largest port for our own, subdue Massilia and her riches AND put an end to the Samnite threat that requires us to maintain legions in southern Italy OR shall we adventure in the very short time allowed (we'd have to batter the Gauls first, lest you not forget) against the Illyrian pyrates in a long and treacherous journey through the Adriatic, leaving our western front entirely open to Carthage, disregarding the luxuries of Narbo making a new (and permanent) enemy out of them AND dennying them the possibility to act as a buffer between our lands and those of the Macedonian greedy ruler Antigonos.

I think my vote is clear WEST and I expect yours soon, my fellow patricians. Surely the current consul would like to say that the Doves are better than the Hawks but I will let the Senatorial vote decide. This is NOT a war between Romans however (for now at least) so let us not be carried away by hasty impulses: we all want the republic to flourish (for now).

Stwength and Honow, my fellow Patwicians.

I was just typping when you slipped through my fingers little fishy! Well if you can hear me, wherever you are you might wanna start work on Circus Maximus right away, the Romans want entertainment: panem et circensis, you know! We're falling behind in research! Let's try to stick to the 12 year/advance or we'll become barbarous ourselves. My spies report that Narbo is not so well defended and will fall easily to an army consulares and 2 or three legions. Same for Massalia and Bovianum. Syracusae is better defended. The Gauls I doubt pose any real threat. But please don't go after the Illyrians now! Not until we subdue the Greeks. To many fronts, mein Fuhrer, too many fronts. I'm going to rest my pen for it is writing in vain :cry:.

Ok - I have played all my turns last night, for the weekend will be busy will real life stuff and I didn't want to freeze the game for too long seeing how we proceed fast. 10 turns went much faster than expected and you will find (I hope!) I followed the Senate wishes. The notable exception is with waging the war with Carthage beyond Palma. I didn't do that - wanted to go NORTH and didn't feel landing in that bee nest either. But I got something you wanted anyway. Ok, there we go with my (long, I won't do that next time ;)) report:

EDIT

@Monarch

- Haven't thought about buidling the circus - that is left for the next Consul!
- You will be glad I had not enough time to attack the Illyrians :)
- For next move, don't wait for my vote if decision is taken over the weekend. I would go for Illyria but can agree a war to take Syracusae. I am also curious of what would happen to an attempt to take Bovianum. I would however cherish a greek Massilia!

244BC

- Consul Olivero completes a tour of Italia, and ensures the municipalities of Pisae, Ariminum, Corfinium and Barium that granaries will be completed soon in these cities. Production in Neapolis is switched from the Pharus to triremes, not without some waste of shields.
- At the same time, legions are properly labelled with numbers. It seems legions XII, XIII and XIX are missing in action and one might consider using these numbers when numbering newly enlisted legions in the future. Some of the idle forces in Italy are ordered moving north toward Cisalpine lands.
- A shortcut road is commissioned to be build to connect Pisae with Ariminum, so that the Consul might have a shorter and less rugged travel for his frequent trips to his estates.
- Once back to Rome, Olivero is surprised by a kind and spontaneous festivity in his honour, as the people celebrate a “we love Consul Olivero” day thing.
- The Pergamene fleet (or what remains of it) is resting near Syracusae while a Punic Navy roams along the Sicilian coast; another Punic naval corps is spotted approaching the Campanian coast, and there are fears that a land attack might be staged on the relatively unprotected coast. As the Mare Nostrum spawned a Corvus, the ships under the daring leadership of Olivero’s son, who wisely stayed on land to control the boats more effectively, attacked and defeated one of the Punic Quinqueremes, effectively enslaving it.
- No assault is staged on Palma, as the troops there are quite exhausted, reinforcement of velites commissioned by previous consul Traianus are proceeding though and further forces (two legions) are shipped there from Carales, as we ignore the real forces garrisoning the Balearic Islands.

243BC

- Macedonia allies with Carthage, that is against Pergamum. It seems Attalus will have to deal with problems at home from now on. Indeed, the Pergamene fleet remnants are now heading home the tail between the legs. The Punic and Syracuseans seem to be laughing at them...
- Rome is now fully controlling the art of civil engineering and as promised, Consul Olivero now undertakes to extend the number of praetors to ensure a smooth management of the new provinces. This will take 12 years to achieve (not including building the wonder!), and the treasure is now loosing 29 gpt!
- On this basis, we decide that more schools are needed, Neapolis starts building some.
- With the arrival of fresh velites in Palma, troops resume the assault! One legio reach the elite level and is named after the Consul to commemorate his great leadership. The core force of 5 velites then effectively storm the outer walls, with 1 loss, and even the seriously previously wounded troops charge again in an attempt to take the fortress. They meet success but the city yet don’t fall.
- Sicilia’s governor is gathering a small fleet at Lilybaeum in hope to strike the Punic next time they come by (chance that will never come); meanwhile the Punic fleet near Capua looks frozen into position, probably scarred to death by the endearing initiatives of the Roman admiral, who is celebrating his victory with his friends in Neapolis’ hot quarters. The victorious corvus and the captured quinquereme are being fixed at the shipyard. These will be the core of the fleet that will sail east toward Orient to make new ‘friends’. An additional trireme is commissioned in Tarentum to complete this fleet.
- Rome spawns a new legio (XXVI) which is promptly send down to fortify the iron mines near Bovianum.
- Some spying is commissioned (28gold) on the Cisalpine capital of Mediolanum to have some idea of the Gaul’s military strength. One tribus magnus and 2 tribus barbarus. We laugh!

242BC

- Palma seems to mobilize even their children to man the walls. A new garrison has been set in place over the winter. Hardened troopers storm the fortress again, and following the example of the great Legio XXV Olivera, they capture the Castrum Baliaris with no further loss! Rome has a new province!
- We are now very much looking toward the North and time passes fast. Olivero contact the Carthaginian ambassador and calls for peace. Rome proposes peace on the current borders with Carthage further returning two cities of Spain/Magna Graecia. This is refused, but as Consul Olivero doesn’t have much patience for long negotiations, an agreement is finally reached on Narbo + 12 gpt. We have PEACE! Rome mobs are cheering!
- The reinforcements for Palma are from now on diverted to Narbo, which is without any garrison. The local Greeks are surprisingly friendly to Rome. More troops will be progressively shipped from Palma to the mainland.
- Meanwhile, less than 10 days after the peace with the Carthaginians (treasure +15gpt as war weariness vanishes and the people rejoice), Consul Olivero evokes some obscure cassus belli and declares war on the Cisalpine Celts. Although they are some mix feeling in the population, overall, this is not consider as a real war and the parties continues in Rome unabated.
- A two throng attack on the Gauls is in order. The attack on Genua is a complete success. It is nearly too simple (and the modder seriously think about tweaking the Cisalpine up, he changed his mind later on!). No losses, an elite legion (called Liguria). Fresh slaves are put to work a way between Genua and Massilia/Galia Comata/Narbo.
- The attack on Ravenna is a complete opposite story and Consul Olivero doesn’t like to speak about it very much. The assault was launched by a core forces gathered by the previous Consul, one legio and three miles socii. In the first hours of the attack, two socii and the legio are killed in action, with only one enemy defender killed! Velites are unable to go through the rustic yet strong walls. Some eques are sent to further test the garrison but barely manage to survive. It seems Ravenna’s garrison is huge and Rome has no more nearby fresh troops. All that at the doors of Ariminum! Some rich senators are now selling their estates nearby!

241BC

- RoP with Pergamum and Macedonia expire and there is no will from them to renew it. We guess they have better things to do at home.
- A new force of Samnite Peltats is spotted near Capua, with the fort not yet completed. We don’t want to interrupt the construction, so we send some velites, which weaken the Samnites. Hope is that the legio on hills (busy fortifying) will hold to it.
- The 2nd Consular Army and Legio IX, freshly disembarked at Ostia from Corsica are promptly pushed out of their camp toward Ravenna. No rest for the Republic’s soldiers!
- The diplomatic fleet is gathering near Tarentum, the triremis there is rushed (140 gold).
- Foreign legio in Genua is also rushed (236 gold), local army rests.
- No assault is undertaken on Ravenna, but the siege continues.

240BC

- A pirate fleet (1) appear near Tarentum and attack our ships near the port. Although damaged, we win.
- The Samnites attack the ore mine of Capua and… aaargh!... destroy the newly commissioned legion. These are sad time for Rome. The Velites manages to finish off the raging hillmen. Senator Olivero swears to Baccus he will see Bovianum razed to the ground (speak of changing your mind ;)).
- Lots of Punic troops (Libyan phalanx) are moving nearby Narbo, heading north. The strong garrison in the new province could hold to Punic treachery but we fear for Massilia.
- In Galia Cisalpina, the siege of Ravenna continues and some skirmishes take place in the central hills near Pisae, with no Roman losses. We realize some funny engineer ‘forgot’ to build a road on Roman hills to connect the newly built network near Mediolanum with the Tuscan one! We will have his head chopped down.

239BC

- F. Magnus is completed in Capua; we decide for an aquaeduct as the city is size 5 with good crops and a happy population.
- The first Balearic Slingers are spawned in Palma. As other local forces, it will be shipped to Narbo.
- Genua’s Army starts its long march on Mediolanum. This is a harsh terrain, especially with an incomplete road system and it will take time.
- The attack on Ravenna is resumed now that the 2nd Consular Army under the personal leadership of Consul Olivero has arrived. With many wounded but no real loss, four defending units are destroyed, yet it seems the garrison is still strong. The Consul starts loosing is hairs.
- Meanwhile, the consul’son put the “diplo fleet’ in move, heading for Greece. Before he even reaches Sparta with the fleet foreguard (2 triremes), he meets a massive fleet of Pirates (2). The triremes destroy one, but a counter strike of the pirate sinks a roman ship. The slow and cumbersome corvus, not even able to spot pirates on their own are useless and left behind.
- Near Narbo, idle legions start a road that will connect us Rome to the Gallic goods. Luxuries yum!

238BC

- More pirates arrive and wound the remaining triremes. The diplo fleet, taking example on the admiral ship, run back to Croton where damaged boats will be fixed at great expenses. What are the Greek fleets doing? Are the eastern seas ruled by pirates? Olivero’s son don’ really care and discover exotic pleasure in the Greek city.
- The Pergamenes ask our help against Macedonia. We very kindly refuse.
- More Punic troops moving north near Narbo!
- Siege of Ravenna continues with one more defending unit destroyed.

237BC

- Massive Carthaginian landing near Syracusae! This includes Numids and light cavalry.
- Neapolis starts to build its own aquaeduct.
- A final assault is launched on Ravenna, killing one legion in the process, senator Olivero has no longer any hair, but the city is finally taken after 6 years of siege with the loss of two legions and two miles socii. One must not underestimate the Gauls!
- Meanwhile, troops keep their forced march north toward Mediolanum, bypassing the many rivers of the area. We have to be quick for the Consulship is finishing and fresh Gallic warriors are coming through the Alps from the west.

236BC

- The Antigonids ask our help against Pergamum. We send them to hell!
- Serious battles take place between Carthage and the western Greeks. In Sicilia, the Punic expeditionary forces meet success and defeat Greek hoplitai, capturing all the local Greek workers. Near Narbo, phalanx and Peltats fight each other in the hills with heavy casualty on each side.
- Messana starts a temple, Corfinium is judged big enough to start a school.
- Troops from Genua and Ravenna keep their forced march north and west toward Mediolanum
- Rome spawns a new legio (called XXVI again!) which is promptly send down to fortify the iron mines near Bovianum and mask the death and shame of the previous one!

235BC

- Peace is declared between Macedonia and Pergamum. As far as we know, there has been no land change between the two. Maybe they can now address the piracy problem!
- Fighting between Greeks and Punics continues in Sicily.
- A Greek fleet, likely with embarked troopers, head from Syracuse toward the Carthaginian mainland. Wish them good luck, but also that they were more clever and defeat the enemies at home first!
- Capua completes its aquaeduct!
- Assault on Mediolanum! 3 legio, 1 miles socius, 5 velites and 5 eques storm the hilly capital! With the velites and eques first, charging to weaken the garrison, legio XVII finally take the palace and capture the Celtic king (the legio became elite and I let to my successor to nickname it, I suggest Celtica). The Cisalpine lands are OURS!

Conclusions:

- We now have a sizable fleet of 4 triremis and 6 corvus; we might want to use this. I suggest a change in leadership concerning the admiralty.
- Our troops are now near the Alps, ready to head either west or east. This is a choice we want to make NOW.
- Another small army is being assembled in Narbo, which can be used if war goes west or as a buffer against Hannibal (who will come soon enough now!).
- Italy is prosperous and populated with granaries and at least 3 cities with the scope the become metropolis soon.
- I failed to contact new civilizations east due to intense pirate activity. The corvus is very unsuitable to fight piracy, as it is slow and vulnerable in defence. ASAP, we need to upgrade our corvus into quinqueremis summa and fight off piracy (or let the Greek navy get decimated by the pirates?)
- The West Greeks, if to survive at all, will need our help very soon against Carthage. Although we could let the Punics take Syracuse (so that we can take it over next Punic War), Massilia should not become a Carthaginian stronghold! I would actually love it to stay Greek (as a Roman ally) for the time being, at leats until Caesar’s times.

With that, Consul Olivero, seats down on his senator chair, and before even an hour, is soundly sleeping, a self contended smile on his face. He definitively looks much older and worned out than before his consulship.

The save file is here (235BC).

Who dare disturbing my sleep ;)
Somewhere in-game, select the preferences option, then flag something like "advanced control for unit". You will then have new icons available for your units, including a rename one.

As long as we are here asking questions, I have one too (which answer would have been handy last night): how do you cancel a RoP (which already expired but is still ongoing, if it makes any difference)?

Back to sleep.

pinktilapia said:
As long as we are here asking questions, I have one too (which answer would have been handy last night): how do you cancel a RoP (which already expired but is still ongoing, if it makes any difference)?

Back to sleep.

Contact the civ, click make a deal, and at the bottom there should be a little button labeled "active". Click and cancel.

*Newly appointed Consul Castor (I believe it's beaver in latin) rises to speak to the Senate*

My fellow senators, I most humbly accept the honor of governing the Republic. As we have been at wars for years and our forces are spread as thin as butter on a toast, my consulship will begin with a tour of all of our provinces. It is my hope that my splendid sight will raise the spirit of our troops and cause barbarian women to faint in front of my splendor.

*Goes out, calls his slaves and gets transported on their back up to Mediolanum*
*There, adresses the happy crowd*

Newly conquered and soon to be prosperous slaves, err, no citizens, I am Consul Castor and I....

*the crowd starts trowing rocks at him and yells "ROP-raper! ROP-raper!"*

-------
Yes Pink, you did it. You ROP-raped the Gauls. I tried to sign new ROP with Pergamum and they ASKED 230 gold for it. Macedonia asked 330 gold. Well, this is going to make the rest of the game quite interesting to say the least. I'll play my turns on friday (maybe) and saturday.
For my plan, I will either a) ask Cartage to get out of our territory and they will declare war or b) take on either the Greeks or Illirycum.
BTW Pink, why is there still a Consular army in Carales?

Castor is definitively Beaver... in french.
Now, I had some bad feelings last night (between two real glasses of wine!)when not finding out a way to cancel the RoP. I figured out that since it expired, it would not count. So much for your love stories with blonde women of Mediolanum. My bad :shame:!
As for the consularis #1, I left it there as it wasn't needed anywhere by the time it got its HP back. I guess it is as good as anywhere else as it can be quickly shipped to Spain, Sicily, Italy or Narbonensis as dictated by your strategies.
Good luck in your undertakings Consul Castor!

Consul Castor! I've only just awaken from the senatorial slumber (something rather common in my real parliament too unfortunatelly) to find a lot of things have been going on during the night. I trust it will take a bit to read through all this, examinate the sav and still make a coherent suggestion to you. If you however wish to hear my opinion, stick around for a couple of hours (or come back before you start playing). Thnx. Now I will start my humble analysis... BE VEWY, VEWY QUIET! I'M HUNTIN' WABID!

pinktilapia said:
The Samnites attack the ore mine of Capua and… aaargh!... destroy the newly commissioned legion. These are sad time for Rome. The Velites manages to finish off the raging hillmen. Senator Olivero swears to Baccus he will see Bovianum razed to the ground (speak of changing your mind).

@Pink: I hate to tell you: I TOLD YOU SO!
You sure wrote an in depth report there :goodjob:.
Some things: I've seen you had a lot of bad luck :(, XXVI legions my @ss :lol:, more like 17+4FL which should be kept safe from harm and loaded in the Scipions as soon as available. So a new numerotation seems in order -minor thing.
Good job with Narbo! although your friendship with the Doves didn't make a good impression as we didn't capture Valentia too but hey, not your fault. The RoP could've been cancelled peacefully :mad:. Surprisingly we are on schedule with history (almost), the only thing missing is... Syracusae. We definitelly should take a vote WEST or EAST, but I think my arguments are quite clear where I'd like to camp for the winter. Besides, historically Illyria was included in the empire way later-they needed it as a buffer against Macedonia too! You should think that in 20 years Hannibal is coming... And, thanks to yours trully and other "would be historical accurate nincampooches :D" he is twice stronger than usual!

@Consul Castor (more of a Greek name but hey, it falls upon you to fight the Greeks :)). Syracusae was strong but since the Carthaginians are battering it it should make it a lot easier for us so here's a battle plan:

-move close to Massalia (which has just 3 units and can't hold on to Carthage alone!). Massalia will fall if we're not carefull so we must make sure it historically falls to us! The forces in Genua and Narbo should be more than enough to finish it off right NOW!

-As the Carthaginians have weakened Syracusa, take both consulars there (don't use the FL's to attack for they are too precious, only to finish off).

-Bovianum will require ALL our troops (from South and North) to converge there. The loss of legions and the risk of spawning even more Samintes through enslavement is an abominating thought for me. Better lose one or two legions now then live with fear.

A dirty trick: if you force the Greek capital at Bovianum it will obsolete their walls and allow your velites to bombard the garisson rather than the wall. You should then attack with the Eques, then with the armies and then with the legios and Miles Socii to minimize the losses.

So bottom line: let the samnite and Peltasts get out of Bovianum and defeat them in the open then, after swiftly overcoming Syracusae and Massalia. Take their last bastion. The armies alone, at full strength should take care of the units. Of course if you lose an army you would have to load the game...

These three cities will of course finalize the conquest of Italy and allow us to focus entirely on the outside!! Well, gentlemen, vote.

I believe the senate knows where my vote lies. You can imagine my half-stifled cry of frustration when I heard of the obliteration of an entire legion at the hands of the Greek rats. Oh, I realise some in the senate will point out that these attackers wore not the colours of the Western Greeks, but are we really in any doubt as to their origin or allegiance? They have crossed us yoo many times and now the moment is right. They are weakened by war with Carthage and will fall.
We should attack and occupy both Masillia and Syracusae. Let them come to us from the walls of Bovianum. We can colour the hills with their blood! And are we now in a position to build siege weaponry? This seems the will of the gods, no less.
It is time for the war to go west.

Right you are, senator Traianus. That's already 3 votes if you count pink's and I'm sure senator Gaias will see it our way too. The Illyrians will have to wait.

Consul Olivero's rule turned out to be very beneficial despite the bad luck. The Republic stretched it's influence furthest and no army or foreign legion has been lost. The rest we can live with

However there are only 13 turns left of peace with Carthage so we should finish this quickly and amass troops in Narbo. Perhaps we should sign a RoP with Iberia and wait for Hannibal on the hill surrounded by rivers north (or the one west) of Tarraco. They seem willing to agree to a RoP once we establish an embassy and even give us 70+ gold for that!!. We should build a fortress there (or two) and two more right in front of Genua if that is to fail. He is not to go to Italy. Remember that we have to weaken him seriously by defending before we can attempt a counterattack on his 30 def.

The good side is that he should be alone as the main force will probably attack sooner than he spawns. Serious preparations are crucial in my opinion.
Do you all agree? I will be less active before my own consulship (around Sunady, I guess) but fear not for I will do my duties to Rome but post only when very much needed. Good luck consul Castor and don't forget the Circus Maximus-far more important in war time than the expensive Praetor! Of course we will need Saguntum for that...

@Senator Olivero. Are you sure you could not find Legio XIX. I'm pretty sure my three new legions were numbered XIX, XX(Carthaginian) and XXI.

Ave fellow Patricians!

I have some opinions regarding the management in our cities.
(I just examined the current save)

Tarentum: You should micromanage food/shields so that population increase in 4 turns and Praesidum is finished in 4 turns.

Olbia: This city will loose 16 food if the praesidium is built with current production planning, this needs micromanaging or change of production. Maybe to a non-pop costing funditore?

Palma: Same problem as Olbia. The city will loose 18 food with current build strategy. I understand that these cities need new garrisons fast but maybe the praesidiums could be micromanaged to that units that require pop are finished the same turn that the city grows?

Pisae: I guess you are building eques to let the population grow? I like the eques. We will need them to fight slave unrest later and they are good against hoplai and other units with 1 point movement. But now we can build BALLISTA! We need those both against Bovanium and later against Hannibal, curse his name! I suggest changing production in Pisae to ballista.

Barium: Micromanage the city so that population increase in 2 turns and granary is still finished in 1 turn.

Capua: Do we need more praesidium in this city? If we follow our current plans with a threepronged assault on Magna Greacia we will not need any more garrisons in the city. We have just built an aquaductus, I suggest we let the city grow. Decrease shields and increase food! And build a non pop costing ballistae instead....

Agrigentum: Do we really need fabrica here? The production is low and Syracuse will use the timber and hills after we have conquered it.

Corfinium: The city has 12 commerce as it is. The 6 science will become 9 with a school? Is it really worth it at the moment? I suggest a ballista instead.

Otherwise I´m impressed my the work of the recent Consuls and I wish Consul Castor the best of luck!

At the papyrus: Consul Linkowicius

P.S Maybe the 4 servi should be evacuated from Palma? Much of our core lands are still undeveloped and they are better needed there. D.S

I had set olbia and Aleria to produce funditores for the above reasons and also because they are support units and will be free if built in these cities. I wonder have they been produced already. I didn't see anything about it in Pink's report, though I might have missed it.
All in all, though, I think he should be applauded for a haul of 4 cities in 10 turns.

Fellow senators, night has been very inspiring and I have come up with a new battleplan which will need your approval (or disapproval). I'll admit it is very ambitious, but so is the spirit of this Republic. This is my proposal :
a) ask Cartago to leave our territory. They will declare war but we have enough unit in Narbo to hold the city. Plus, we could sign MAs with other nations which will be willing to contribute financially to our war effort. We have also enough units in other provinces to beat down Cartaginian scum.
b) After cartaginian units around Massilia are defeated, I will declare war on the greeks and take Syracuse and Massilia. Defensive actions will be taken around Bovianum until the front with cartage is secured.
c) The consular army currently stationned in Ravenna will be moved to Massilia, Narbo and will launch an attack on Saguntum with others forces in the area. The offensive in Spain will stop at Valentia. Then, peace will be a turn or 2 away.
d) After peace is signed, I will move the Consular armies to Bovianum and take the city.

Advantages : We will be at Valentia before the dreaded Hannibal appears. We will hold all of Italia, Sicilia, and the western Mediterranean coast. We will have another profitable peace treaty with cartago as they will be the one to break the current one.
Disadvantages : We know that the Greeks are weak and that Cartage's ability to fight are lower than before, but if losses are high, it could delay severely the conquest of Illirya and the third Punic war. Plus, the entire expedition could be a disaster.

I know that a vote as already been made in the favor of war with the Greeks, but I would like another to see in which direction I must go.

Consul Castor!

I´m not sure our forces are strong enough for a plan of that scale.

Our garrisons on Sicilly are only 1 legion plus a couple of auxillary per city.
Our garrisons on our newly conquered and hardfought islands are thin as well.
A renewed war with Carthage would probably lead to dangerous assaults from the sea, escpecially on Sicilly.

Are our forces strong enough to guard against Bovanium, guard Sicilly (an assault on Syracuse might as well be good if we are to attack Massilia), guard the islands and still conquer Massilia and beat Carthage in the Narbo area?

I cannot, given my experiences as consul, condone this course of action. I had planned to make war on two fronts, one being the relatively weak Cisalpine Gauls, but found that the Carthaginians were more than enough to handle by themselves.
The consul Castor says it best himself, '...the entire expedition could be a disaster'.
My vote is no, but I commend the bravery of the consul. I'm sure he will give those scheming Greeks exactly what they deserve.
S.P.Q.R.
Senator Marcus Licinius Traianus.

Top Bottom