1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Rise of Mankind 2.9 discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

I would also add a much reduced revolution index - the Pyramids made Egypt much more stable, huge joined projects tend to unify the people.

2. twjr

twjr Chieftain

That or the slavery that tended to be used to build them got all bitter and twisted about it.

If I remember rightly from my 100 level geography class widespread and unsustainable deforestation also played a role in their downfall. Once they had chopped down all the trees they were unable to make any more good canoes and as the older ones broke or were lost at sea they lost some of their ability to fish.

Of course I did this paper like 5 years ago now so I could be thinking of a totally different society. But I am sure I remember something about pollen records on the islands showing that in the not too distant past there were extensive forests.

3. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

:rolleyes:

4. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Actually the most recent archeological findings indicate that it wasn't slaves that built the Pyramids but the egyption farmers and workers - it was sort of national service for them during the time when they weren't needed on the farms.

Read the whole article: http://harvardmagazine.com/2003/07/who-built-the-pyramids. I've recently watched documentary which was telling the same things.

5. JanissaryRush

JanissaryRush Warlord

Historically the impact of natural disasters were huge, the black death killed 40% of all of Europe. Many other plagues have killed significant percentages of many countries populations. Droughts ravaged large regions.

The disasters in the game are insignificant. A few improvements destroyed, a forest fire, lost your built up food in one city.

It would be nice to have an option to turn on historical realistic disasters. Plagues that would ravage large regions, killing 10-40% of entire populations. The more unhealthy and bigger the cities the more that die.

Famines that affect small to large regions, reducing 10-50% of food production for a few turns. If it doesn't affect all your empire, you could have option to ship all your extra food to those cities for a fee per turn.

In modern times the effects of these are reduced.

In modern times you could have occasional depressions, where GDPs are reduced 10-30% for a number of turns.

6. twjr

twjr Chieftain

Interesting looking article. I will read it a bit more thoroughly later. But I guess it doesn't surprise me that they weren't slaves. As the article says it is really the Judeo-Christian's that have presented that view. The Bible isn't especially flattering of the Egyptians, I guess they were just jealous they weren't part of the Egyptian society.