Rise of Nations

rschissler

King
I just saw the promo ad for Rise of Nations, logging on to the forum.

Has anybody played this game? I know it is real time and not turn based, but if I like Civ3 would I like this game?

Only played the demo, but it seemed pretty neat. Now, I'm an old Starcraft fan, so I may or may not be representative of Civvers attitude to RTS.

There's a dedicated RoN forum here on CFC, btw. You should perhaps be checking it out.

I also have this game, i think its great. Its an interesting twist to an RTS game. And has a distinct civ feel to it and uses a lot of lessons learned from Civ3 like borders and unique graphics for each civ. I don't like the lack of transports though, so if your a navy fan you might not like it.

yOur units automatically turn into transpots when they hit the water as long as you have a harbor.

I find games like Warcraft, AoM, and RoN to be fun, but lose interest in them after a bit and then go back to Civ.

But having said that as a disclaimer... RoN is very good. If you like RTS games, I think you'd enjoy it.

i have it. it's very interesting, i would definitely recommend it to all RTS fans, especially those who post on the civ forums. it's my current favorite RTS.

oh, you might want to wait for the expansion that's coming out...you finally get to play as America

If you like the various "Age of..." games you'll love RON. It feels more like a refinement of them than a real time Civ game.

Yes, RoN it's a good game, but very different from Civ.

I agree with warp.

You should be able to pick up a copy of RoN from a bargain bucket like I did. I didn't like it at first - thinking it was an AoE clone. But the more you get into it the more you begin to realise how much like Civ3 it is - as in civ the first few decisions that you make are probably the most important in the game, however, unlike civ where those decisions are pretty much the same for all the civs regardless of civ specific abilities in RoN each civ challenges your decision making abilities.
City placement is also important in RoN as in civ - if your capital city is lacking in one of the collectable resources wood and metal you need to make sure that your second has it or failing that on tougher maps positioning yourself to leapfrog your third city. There is usually some trade offs in my games between ideal city placement for resource gathering and strategic placement.
Combat in RoN is alot like Empire Earth and Age of whatever -where it is superior to these games is when you attempt your D-Day type landings. Unlike Civ and the games I have mentioned where making landfall spells the end of the enemy RoN manages to capture the frenetic nature of trying to hold a beach head. As with D-Day where only 2000 allied soldiers or so lost their lives making landfall, 10s of thousands then died on subsequent days trying to hold it - you will find RoN equally bloody.:hammer:

idk, i like RoN better. mostly because im so impatient i cant really get the hang of civ3, but i like the realtime aspect of RoN. of course, though, im a fan of age of empires and seven kingdoms too. it just depends on what exactly you like in a game. i like to be able to sit and play a game in 1-3 hours with ease. civ takes alot more (as im sure youve all realized) than that, and for me moving the units and such is a bit bulky (though it seems from the posts im reading that the bulkyness is remedied in the expansion packs) does anyone else kind of share this view or go really against it?

RoN is good but like alot of RTS it becomes a clickfest so strategy ends up falling by the way side as you just try to send a mass barrage of units to win. In Civ you can do well with a small good army well planned. My only wish is that the combat power was real-time in civ.

Can anyone explain me this:
I have 2 RoNs: English Demo and French full game.
When I load both games I get the same message that video card is not best for this game and that game may not run. After I click"hell, continue anyway" the English version always loads and the French loads 1 time in a 100. How is that possible?

Top Bottom