Rising Tide or Civ V complete edition?

Having made my decision, got Civ5 CE, and put 100 hours into it already, having put in ~120 hours previously on BE, it's incredible really.

Civ 5, with all the DLC, is an excellent game. I see now why it is (still) such a popular game.

BE, which is based off the exact same engine, and uses exactly the same interface, just can't touch it, and there are many, many reasons for this. But the three that stand out for me right now are

1) The leaders. Civ5 has a huge cast of differing characters, all with their own personalities that affect how they play each game. BE has a handful of characters, who look different, but lack personality and have no discernable difference in gameplay.
2) The paths to victory. Although there are a similar number of victory types, the paths to victory in Civ 5 are bewilderingly numerous. I'm sure the uber power gamers with their 100 turn deity victories would disagree as they home in on the optimal solution for every path. But for the average gamer, the diversity in religion and social policies opens up so many ways to skin the cat.
3) Wonders. They are so terrible in BE. So terrible, that many of them are worse than normal buildings. Or come so late that they are of no use. Or you don't even realise they are a wonder. Civ 5 has numerous wonders that are "must haves" throughout the game depending on your chosen path. I never did a single fist pump on getting a wonder in BE, but when beat an AI to that key wonder in Civ 5...

The only thing BE has is its soundtrack, but Civ V's is pretty epic too, so it can't even score a point there.

I'm glad you are enjoying Civ V. This is why I recommended you get it instead. It is just so much more solid on so many levels.

As for the reasons why one is better than the other, if I were to break it down, I would state 2 things Civ V has over BE, superior immersion and game play.

Now get off this forum and go play Anno Domini mod for Civ V! :D

Beyond Earth for sure. Then again I love sci-fi(more accurately I love science fantasy) and I don't like how Civ 5 does great people or religion.

If you like the mechanics in CiV, and you like space, BE is worth it.

This is patently false. If you like Civ 5's mechanics and you want to see them actually work the way they're supposed to work without bugs and baffling design choices, Civ 5 is the only answer.

The sci-fi aspect of literally the only thing BE has going for it.

BE:RT is tied with AoW 3 for my favorite 4X title. It is not well balanced, but I find the combined-arms combat to work very well in the end game and I really enjoy the number of viable approaches to creating an economic engine (some are better than others, yadda yadda - I'm not someone who feels the need to implement the absolute best & most efficient strategy every time).

It's a shame that the game had such a terrible launch & that Firaxis decided to market it as a spiritual successor to SMAC instead of just letting it stand on it's own merits.

Want to even enjoy it more? Watch Marbozir's Civ V play on Deity videos on YouTube, very entertaining and full of advises regarding tactics and how to survive on deity, I myself don't play on deity but watching his videos makes me want to play as any of the AI not just my favorites. There is also multiplayer which is a lot of fun but you need to find the right people for it and I'll recommend watching "Civilization 5 Single vs Multiplayer" :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkCVZyS-sNo&list=PLHQyGGzRHYIYpHvhUKyT7oQW4CyQMLf_L

Very entertaining and educational.

if you have a good system go for civ5 its got more mods and more playable . be goes for a tech tree that is new an unit upgrades and has been around less.

if you like horses go for div5 if not and like trading go for be

I like what BE did with the ocean tiles and what not. And diplomacy. It makes earth oceans blow and start a panic attack to stay away from the coast. How do the fish survive or is their a geothermal connection

I guess you had nothing better to do than comment on a 2 year old post....
Why make this personal something you want to say to my face incogneato

Both Civ 5 and Civ:Be are good games, but Civ:Be Rising Tide is basically unplayable due to AI being unable to use all the new features that the expansion introduces. Civ:Be with both patches has at least a somewhat functional AI. Weak as it is, Civ 5 AI is still the strongest of these because it can at least use almost all the features of the game.

This is patently false. If you like Civ 5's mechanics and you want to see them actually work the way they're supposed to work without bugs and baffling design choices, Civ 5 is the only answer.

The sci-fi aspect of literally the only thing BE has going for it.

BERTs design choices are a strength. It is a great game, just unfinished. But even unfinished it is a game I play 3-4 times a year without fail. I stopped playing Civ5 the day 6 came out.

Bugs? BE was always a cleaner game and after a few patches it was iron.

I feel like a lot of folks "don't get" the game due to it being different. A bunch of great ideas without the budget to support them fully. One thing is for sure, if it would have been supported by the public a little better, it would be a better game today.

I'm hoping the upcoming side game is BE2, but I fear it will be fantasy.

If the .DLL for BERT was released, I'm sure dudes here on Civfanatics would make it into a glittering gem.

As it is, even with mods, it is hard to come back. But I liked it a lot when modded heavily - especially the mod to ban aquatic cities, because I hated the excessive space. Aquatic resources were still usable; they (and the new water graphics for coast/reef/ocean) were a very welcome addition.

I hope very much that Firaxis keeps their word: they clearly said CivBE it would be a franchise of its own.

I don't find it hard to go back and forth. They play differently enough.

The only mod I use is the Awesome Ruins mod. It fixes all the quests and gives bonuses to the nearest city as opposed to all to the capital which I consider to be intended by the devs.

I don't have an issue with excessive space since I'm an excessive settler. ;)

Top Bottom