[BNW] RIVERS tiles, naval units production possible?

CIVLOYALIST

Chieftain
Say I settle slightly inland but on a river tile, any chance of producing naval units just any other coastal cities?

Nope, that would not be a coastal city (which requires at least one tile adjacent to the city center to be a coastal tile), so in Civ V you are out of luck. Even in Civ VI, you would still need to build a harbor district in that city to build naval units.

A river that flows BETWEEN tiles gets you fresh water for farms; a NAVIGABLE river needs to be 1 TILE WIDE, for ships to operate up and down this river . Some maps allow this, Estuarys and CIV_ROME, to name 2, do; most don't .

I lost the files/game now. I recall for once, not very long ago, I settle the first city inland and later found that I can build ships, was surprised!

Well, you are either misremembering that game, or misinterepreting what "inland" meant, or were playing a mod, because in unmodded Civ V you cannot build ships in a city that does not have at least one coastal tile immediately adjacent to the city center tile.

Top Bottom