RJ1 - Monarch Beg. SG "Shaking the Lurker Tree"

Rubberjello

Emperor
PTW 1.21v
RJ1 - Monarch Level SG for folks new to Succesion Games
"Shaking the Lurker Tree"

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but it seems like you always see the same names participating lately in these Succession Games. While that is not a bad thing, certainly, it always helps to draw new blood into a community to keep things interesting. So this is a call to all your lurkers out there to give a Succession Game a try and see how easy and fun it is!
(Note. This is NOT a "Training Day" game. First of all, I don't have the time to run such an exhaustive effort, and secondly I can't even pretend to have as much Civ knowledge as some of the gurus hereabouts.)

No variants (Intro. game, remember?)

==========
Civ: Korea
Difficulty: Monarch
Map: Standard, 40% land, Pangaea
Climate / Temperature / Age = Normal / Temperate / 4 Billion
Opponents: Random
Barbarians: Roaming (We should protect our settlers/cities!)
Victory: Any
Culturally linked start
AI players respawn (discourages early rushes)
Preserve Random Seed
Allow cultural flips.
==========

Korea got the nod because it seems like a fairly unpopular (from eyeing the SG's on this forum) Civ. to play, so maybe it will be a new experience for some. They are COMMERCIAL and SCIENTIFIC, which should give us a good cultural/economic/tech edge. Their UU is controversial (i.e. bad), but let's give it a try and decide for ourselves, eh?

Etiquette
24 hours to post a "Got it", 48 Hours to Complete a turn (or be skipped).
Pointers and conversation is encouraged by all during gameplay. Non-constructive criticisms should be kept to a minium.
20 turns for the first person, then 10 turns each for everyone after.

ROSTER:
Yaype
Brewster
Tarkeel
Dark Savant
TedJackson
Rubberjello

Here is the start. Please confirm you are still interested by posting here and tell us what you would do if you were playing the first turn.

Who wants to start? Roster order is completely negotiable.

The save at 4000BC

If you need any help with file uploads, please see this excellent thread here

I'm not going to play (since I already play), but I will Lurk :D and comment at times

That's a helluva start...I think I'd settle 1 tile S of that location (I'd move the Worker on to the cow first to see if it is a better location--for all we know, it's pure jungle).

I'm glad someone is doing this. I won't play, but I have noticed that all the SG's seem like they are Emperor or Deity variants nowdays! Good luck former lurkers!

Are we going to go straight 10 turns all game? Or is the person starting going to play 20? And speaking of the starter, if nobody else will volunteer, I will do it. But if there is anybody else who wants to, please feel free to, because I don't want to be blamed for ruining the game. ;)

By the way, thanks for getting the game going, Rubberjello.

You got it, Yaype (going first). You can play 20 or 10, whatever you are comfortable with. Everyone thereafter should play 10 turns, (but that is not an unbreakable rule!).

Oh yeah. My first turn would also be move worker to cow, settler 1 move directly south (settle on the river and hope for more bonus grass squares or even a lux on the other side) ((Yeah...I'm greedy...I freely admit it! :D )

Nice to meet everyone, and I hope everyone has a good time - and maybe we can shake down two more lurkers to join us???

Good luck! You have a nice starting spot. One thing to remember about Korea is the need to get your commercial and Scientific Wonders. A Hwach'a will not trip a golden age because it doesn't kill anything. It is a strong bombard unit and can be used effectively to knock large cities down to size.

Have fun ! :)

Hotrod

Originally posted by hotrod0823
Good luck! You have a nice starting spot. One thing to remember about Korea is the need to get your commercial and Scientific Wonders. A Hwach'a will not trip a golden age because it doesn't kill anything. It is a strong bombard unit and can be used effectively to knock large cities down to size.

I've heard rumors that the Hwach'a has the "Kill" ability (like a Cruise Missle against ship units). Are those completely bogus rumors or has anybody really tried it?

Oh yes! We'll be Wonder building. (I hope!)

South of start looks like an excellent spot :) Hoping we will get one more tile that can be food improved, so we can turn the capital into a settler factory.

H'wacha does NOT have lethal abilities in an unmodded game. This has been shown in extensive tests, by looking at the editor, and, I believe, in a chat with Firaxis. I have no idea where the rumor got started (or if it was considered for a time), but the h'wacha does NOT kill, so wonders will be needed to start the GA.

Remember that InterNet will start ANY GA. That's how I started mine as Korea, in my first deity PTW game. A Modern GA is scary, as the number of modern armor produced crushes any foe, even those significantly ahead, as I found out. Might be a last-ditch thing, but it's there.

Have fun and I *LOVE* the title!
Arathorn

OK, I got it. I should have my turn done before tonight, as the rest of my afternoon/early evening are pretty empty today. Here goes nothing. :)

I think I could play a relatively easy game as my first SG. Count me in (slot me anywhere you want).

As for moving at the start, if moving the worker to the cow fails to reveal bonuses out of reach of the start, I'd just found on the start position. I don't think it's worth one turn off the growth curve just on the off-chance we'll find more BG.

Are we going for a builder's game or a military game? I'm a much better builder than a warmonger. Regardless of what we do, I think we should find a productive spot for a second city and commit to building the Pyramids there, since you can usually get them on Monarch in your second city if you hop to it and focus worker activity there. It should be very worthwhile, since this is a largeish Pangaea.

@Dark Savant: Main reason for moving south is to get next to the river, so the city won't need aqueduct.

Actually, the river isn't the reason to move South; thecurrent position has river access. The sole reason is the bonus grassland; it's worth 1 turn of production to get 6000+ years of benefit from the bonus grassland.

errr... I meant "Hell Yes"

If there's a slot available then sign me up.

Blood, Guts, Glory. I'm game.

Ted

The settler is standing on a Bonus Grassland. I think you definitely want to move south to not waste the extra shield of the BG by founding your capital on top of it. The starting position and the position to the South both have river access.

To limit the game just to lurkers, maybe you should limit the participants to posters with <100 posts. Just an idea.

Forgot to say:

first move should be worker SE (onto the the BG) if nothing exciting is revealed then settle on start.

Ted

Originally posted by Earp
The settler is standing on a Bonus Grassland. I think you definitely want to move south to not waste the extra shield of the BG by founding your capital on top of it. The starting position and the position to the South both have river access.

To limit the game just to lurkers, maybe you should limit the participants to posters with <100 posts. Just an idea.

Didn't I say that? :groucho:

It'd be unfair, imo, to limit based on number of posts; someone could be lurking here, but spouting their mouth off in the general forum and thus have no SG experience but plenty of non-related posts. My 2 cents.

You said it ChrTh, but it wasn't very clear (to me atleast) that you were talking about the BG under the start position. You make a good point about the number of posts. Maybe that is not such a hot idea. :)

Originally posted by Earp
You said it ChrTh, but it wasn't very clear (to me atleast) that you were talking about the BG under the start position. You make a good point about the number of posts. Maybe that is not such a hot idea. :)

You're 100% correct. I bow to your grammatical prowess! :worship:

:D

Actually, the river isn't the reason to move South; thecurrent position has river access. The sole reason is the bonus grassland; it's worth 1 turn of production to get 6000+ years of benefit from the bonus grassland.

My opinion is that this is not a good idea, for three reasons:

* IIRC, you do in fact get an extra shield in the city square from bonus grassland relative to normal grassland when the city hits size 7 or higher (it does not matter whether your civ is industrious or not). Sorry, I can't load a game to verify this right now.

* We have a productive enough start position such that the rate-limiting factor in producing settlers and workers out of our capital is food, not shields. Gaining an extra shield will thus be of little or no help; and once Seoul is done with making settlers and workers it will probably be size 7 not long afterwards.

* We'll be one turn behind on everything else -- the land grab, wonder races, military production, exploration.

This is still Yaype's call; part of playing a SG is that you have to deal with everyone else's play style. :)

Top Bottom