Road to War Issues

noob questions. playing as english. can't build anything requiring oil in britain. i could for about 15 turns, now its gone. i still have all the oil in middle east. i can build there. kinda sux trying to get things built there when my main production centers are in england. just can't keep up

Come over to the RtW forum here at CFC: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=265

You will find a thread for the add-on pack which fixes all bugs found and adds much more from the retail version of the mod. :)

I have a hard time believing the guy playing as the Germans in this scenario was overwhelmed by the Russians. I am playing as Germany right now, and so far everything has been easy breezy. I think the game moves too slow. I was able to build up a MASSIVE army, airforce and navy before the automatic events put me at war with Poland, France and Britain. I had so many troops that I was able to launch a three-pronged offensive against all three nations. Since the game would not allow me to invade the Low Countries right away, I even had to go through the Maginot Line to get to France. My huge airforce obliterated all defenses and my tanks simply rolled over France and Poland in a couple turns. My large navy was able to easily destroy the British naval presence in the north sea, landing additional land units in France to aid the invasion that started throuogh the Maginot. My bombers totally leveled all of the UK, not a single factory, improvement, or civic building left... because I had nothing else to do with them while I was mopping up in Poland and France. Then... long before I was at war with Denmark or the Netherlands, I was able to conquer all of the British mainland with a handful of tanks and paratroopers. Right now I've got tanks moving through the desert toward Egypt that I airlifted to the Vichy territories in North Africa, and part of my navy is moving to take Gibraltar. My spies in Russia let me see what units the Russians have in their cities, and I'm really not too worried about them, either.

I love this mod in two major reasons. One is that WW2 style games is what like to play most
second I love to play civ and this mod give me the opportunity to play civ with my son. This is the only mod he likes.

The problem we have is that we cant change ideologies when we want.
especially when we play with random map. Let say I play Germany and my son play Sweden, we cant have simmilar ideo even if we exchange the ideo man.
Why is the religion button missing, where in a normal game you change state religion. :(

That will change for the final release after the patch.

How to choose an Open Play mode? I start 1936 Europe Scenario and do not get a chanse to choose one of tree modes. Only a choise of a nation and a difficulty is present. The game starts and I see that I can not change civics, because Open Play is required :(

You choose the game mode in the game. After a turn or two a popup will appear asking what mode you want to play. :)

oh! didn't expect a game setting to be set after few turns :) Thank you for your answer.
Now could somebody, who have played the RtW several times, give me an approximate numbered list of civilizations, where the first civilization would be the most easy to play with and the last one the most difficult?

For 1936
Germany
Great Britain
Russia
Italy
France
USA (deceptive as you are on your own, yet countries at war still seem to build more units than you, and it can be quite tedious, moving troops to europe and back)
The rest
The low countries (basically impossible, especially in historical mode)

i havn't played much on the road to war mods yet but i have a question about the different modes. if u play non-historical u can do what u want, but is the game still realistic? like if i play as one of the minor civs, will germany still be likely to start its invasions at some point. I would really like a ww2 mod where i am free to play as i like while events are still somewhat realistic.

I still got problem with this scenario, i thought that update would fix it, but it didnt.

So problem is i play 1936 scenario with Finland and it works fine but usually when i shut the game, there comes blue screen and only thing what helps is to restart the computer.

So any idea what fix this? I would love to play this. :)

Sorry, but I have to give harsh criticism for this scenario.

I cannot believe that a scenario can be done so badly, has has been there before in a decent way (e.g.in other civ versions)

1.) All cities got the same size at the start
2.) All countries got the same tech at the start

Honestly these 2 issues are enough to threat me off from even playing this scenario. Obviously the scenario was not given enough attention during creation. I would not complain this harshly, if some civ players just do this mode at home, but for an official scenario, this is just unacceptable.
(BTS version 3.03)

^^Have you actually played the scenario through? If you are only going to complain about aesthetic problems like that then it can't be that bad.

love the mod, but wish it can run faster on my 1 year old laptop :( .

In my opinion, range bombardment is way too powerful, because I havent seen an ai uses it. (I only played one game through w/ Germany.) I basically took over France in the winter after taking Poland by bombing every enemy units to death. (I had like over 50.) Also, they are pretty cheap to make too. Perhaps, there should be a max cap on the artillery bombarbment just like civ 3.

Another thing I notice is that the Ai really concentrates on espionage. In any turn, I would see like about 10 espionage events, either succeeded or failed. It's just a minor annoyance to me, but I'm sure the ai could use those extra resources to build some cheap fighters or bombers. (I am using beta 3)

I would like the addition of worker that has the ability to plant landmines. That way, workers can actually be productive in wartime as well.

@obliterate
no, did not play it. These issues scared me off. Would be easy to just take the approximate sizes from e.g. civ2. This scenario did not seem to get enough attention from the developers. Also, differerences in research cannot be so much effort.

ichbinsehselber:

Just so you know, some civ players did make this mod at home. ;)

Is there a bug with loading a game file for this scenario?

I can play it well, but when I quit the game and try to load the game file later it crashes.

Hi, guys.
Speaking of oil in RtW...

Yesterday I played France, just Warlords level. (It was my first try, sue me.), historical mode. During the first turns I held on quite fine, until my navy, parking outside Nice and montpellier on the Mediterranean was decacimated by the Italian fleet (were they that powerful?) and got my trade routes blockaded, so no oil ever. Restarted.

OK, this time, with my ships in their cities, I held of the Germans, and fought the largest battle in my game, the naval battle of the Mediterranean against the Duce. I won, quite injured, until some turns passed. No oil again.

OK, I checked, the Italians blockaded Alexandria. I sent my heald ships there, fought another battle, and destroyed the Italian fleet. Yet still, no oil.

I held on until 1942, building only infantry and artillery, until the Germans and Italians started to coordinate their attacks on Nice and Calais. Desperate, I ordered six workers to be rush built in North Africa and the Middle East, and built a road from Tunisia south east around the Italian possessions in Africa, connecting to British Egypt. I got the oil at about Sept. 1942, and started building planes and tanks, but to no avail. The Russians and the Americans whom I hoped will help me didn't do anything. The Finns and the Poles captured Russian cities. Leningrad was President Ryti's I think. (President Ryti's the Sid guy of Finland.). Finally, the Germans broke through and captured Paris, Dijon, Calais and Tours. I retired.

SO what to do with oil? I mean, it was disastrous, and I think my loss was due to this. Maybe the French should have oil near Morocco or Algeria? This is RtW release version, I think I'm gonna take the time to download the add-on pack.

Heh, finished my rant. Otherwise, it was an excellent mod. Absolutely love it.

Last Note : I had undefended Roman, no Italian cities all around. It was weird to capture Tripoli and leave it un garrsioned for so long.

Use the add-on pack. There was a bug with oil in the release version.

Top Bottom