Rocks 2 Rockets

For R2R does not exist "Earth Standard map"? Why? As for me, "R2R Earth - 28 Civs" its too big...:(

The only scenario type map that actually works correctly is the rather large 28 civs version.

That one is the only one that exists because I don't actually play Earth map scenarios, so I only spent the time to made that one work. Nobody else has done the conversion for any. Therefore that is the only one.

It is not really very hard to do, but it does take a fair amount of time to go though the map and use the available terrains, features, and, very importantly, all the resources. You need to make sure that the resources are all placed somewhere and in reasonable quantities since so many things depend on them. Some of them just need to appear somewhere since they are not very important, but others need to be more common. One thing that I did not do for the the 28 civ map is to make sure that each civilization has the resources to create it's own culture type somewhere not too far away from their starting location.

I think all the included random map scripts work, just not the other scenarios. (There are a lot of map scripts, so it is hard to be sure they all really work in a reasonable way.)

Question for ya, on the mapsript for your modmod, do you think it would be OK to incorporate some of them into C2C also??

The only map script that R2R has that C2C does not have is this new Erebus one. The other ones that start with R2R are all modifications of C2C map scripts with similar names (using the C2C prefix) which remove the terrain types that R2R does not have.

is the future version of rocks to rockets going to eventually have sea cities, and galactic era with multimaps once multi maps are available?

is the future version of rocks to rockets going to eventually have sea cities, and galactic era with multimaps once multi maps are available?

Probably not for the sea cities and certainly not for the galactic era.

When the actual multi-map capability is added to C2C I will probably add the feature to R2R. I might not use it in R2R (not sure yet, but I appear to have plenty of have time to decide), possibly just adding it for use in any mod-mod based on R2R. If I do use it, it would probably just be for one additional map:the moon or perhaps Mars.

Even with the eventual (well, it might be in the next version, but I don't know when that will be - at least 3 months, probably 4) addition of the dynamic graphics paging that was added for the most recent version of C2C, I think adding multimaps may go beyond the intended memory limits for R2R.

Hello,

I downloaded this game, because C2C was crashing and my computer is not powerful. It couldn't open itself so I got something called "Winzip" off the internet, which seems to have done something but I'm not sure what.

When I open the "My Games" folder from the start menu, there's Civ4 and BtS and minesweeper solitaire etc but no icon for Rocks 2 Rockets (there was a C2C one there, when I was trying with C2C)

When I open the same "My Games" folder via Users > Me > Documents > My Games, there is a "Rocks2Rockets" folder. In it there are subfolders:
Assets
Autolog
Docs
images
PrivateMaps
Sources
UserSettings

and files:
C2C
Caveman2Cosmos Config
COPYING
CvAltRoot.py
old Rise of Mankind
R2R Credits
readme
Readme
Rocks2Rockets
Rocks2Rockets
Rocks2Rockets.ini.bak
Saved

I've tried all of the files, and none seem to open the game. I've started looking in the folders but they're huge and don't seem to have a "run" option in them any more than the files did.
Also, when I had C2C I used to be able to go to BtS, click on "Load a Mod" and C2C was there. I didn't put it there, it turned up after I downloaded C2C. There's nothing in "Load a Mod" for Rocks 2 Rockets.

Basically, I can't make the game run, and I don't know why. I'm not really sure what unzip is for, so I don't really know what I did there or if it was something I got wrong.

Any suggestions?

Rocks 2 Rockets will show up in "Load A Mod" if you copy it into the MODS folder which is inside the folder where the game (Beyond the Sword executable file) is. Caveman2Cosmos shows up in "Load A Mod" because it is in this folder, so just put the entire Rocks 2 Rockets folder in there next to it.

Your icon to start C2C will most likely not allow you to start Rocks 2 Rockets. Double-click on the Beyond the Sword executable file to start Beyond the Sword, then go to Advanced and Load A Mod as normal.

Rocks 2 Rockets will show up in "Load A Mod" if you copy it into the MODS folder which is inside the folder where the game (Beyond the Sword executable file) is. Caveman2Cosmos shows up in "Load A Mod" because it is in this folder, so just put the entire Rocks 2 Rockets folder in there next to it.

Your icon to start C2C will most likely not allow you to start Rocks 2 Rockets. Double-click on the Beyond the Sword executable file to start Beyond the Sword, then go to Advanced and Load A Mod as normal.
That did the trick. Thanls!

Related to your problem with shortcuts: If your shortcut doesn't have a Properties choice when you right click on it I think it is because the "My Games" location on the Start menu is not a normal folder; it is set up to do specific things and is not giving you the normal right-click menu. Try copying the shortcut to the desktop first. Alternatively the "Customize" option might be the same thing as "Properties", but probably isn't. If you are using the Explorer to view the entire folder and you select the shortcut there may be a Properties choice on the File menu item on the menu across the top of the window, which would also get you there.

Once you figure out how to get to the Properties menu, you should be able to create a new shortcut for R2R by copying the one for C2C and going to Properties via a right click, then changing the part that says "Caveman2Cosmos" in the Target box to say "Rocks2Rockets". This text may initially be out of view off to the right since it is at the end, but the text in there will scroll if you click on it and use the right arrow key to move the cursor. On the other hand, the text in that location may start highlighted and already scrolled all the way to the right (I just looked at it and this is how it was for me on Windows 7).

You can change the icon from the C2C icon to the R2R icon also via the Properties dialog, which should have a "Change Icon..." button somewhere. There is a Rocks2Rockets.ico file in the Rocks2Rockets folder for this.

Likewise, assuming you eventually find the Properties dialog, somewhere in the Properties dialog (exactly where depends on the version of Windows) there should be the Run as Administrator option. With Windows 7 it is on the Compatibility tab. You may need to use this since R2R will probably have the same BUG messages scrolling up the screen that C2C had for you. An alternate, and possibly better, fix is to locate the Beyond the Sword .exe file, which is called Civ4BeyondSword.exe (you should know where it is if you found the game's Mods folder since it is in the folder where the Mods folder is located), and set it to "Run as Administrator" (again via the right-click Properties dialog) - if you do that you should not have to ever worry about this again since it should be run that way all the time with or without any mods.

Looks interesting Emperor, I will check it out later as it progresses along. ;)

I've played this a bit, and although even on a standard map I only get to turn 550 or so before my memory allocation fails, it's still great fun to begin the game at various different start points and try out strategies for when I get my new computer and can run a full game properly.

Anyway, thanks for making it, I am in awe of the computer skills it must have taken to make it, not to mention the time!

Hello again, I've got my new computer and am once again getting in a muddle over how to load R2R. I've installed BtS using the CD, and I tried to copy the Rocks2Rockets file from the MODS folder in the old computer to the same MODS folder in the new one. It seemed to have worked - the files look like they're all there and a radio button for Rocks to Rockets now appears in the "advanced" menu screen for BtS, but after a few seconds I just get a message "Sid Meier's Civilisation 4: Beyond the Sword has stopped working."

There's a fault module name "CvGameCoreDLL.dll" and lots more random numbers and letters. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

That was it. I'd remembered to copy the patch over, but forgotten it needed installing. Thanks!

I am very glad that R2R will be updated soon with the new paging system. I am sure it would be a lot of work.
R2R is (will be) a real fan favorite of us players who don't have supercomputers and $300.00 video cards.

I am finding V34 to be unplayable because of many MAFs. ( I have one an hour plus unrepeatable ctds) I have my machine on the lowest settings and have tried one large and one standard map and have not even been able to get out of the ancient eras.

R2R seems to be my only hope to be able to play C2C for any length of time at all.

Edit; It appears that R2R is now abandoned. What a shame.

Edit; It appears that R2R is now abandoned. What a shame.

Not abandoned. Just very slow...

The last patch, V0.4, got the DLL up to slightly past C2Cv29 for bugfixes and optimizations. My current working version is nearing C2Cv30's bufixes and optimizations. A few other minor tweaks have been done. But so far I don't think it is quite enough for another patch yet.

Problem, love the mod but any cities I found or conquer after the first 'save' are ignored by the game when I reload, they produce nothing unless I use 'change production' to manually instruct them to produce.

Problem, love the mod but any cities I found or conquer after the first 'save' are ignored by the game when I reload, they produce nothing unless I use 'change production' to manually instruct them to produce.

I have not ever seen this bug. It doesn't happen in the game I'm currently playing, which has been saved and started numerous times.

When you say "reload" do you mean exiting the game entirely, or loading a save without exiting Civ after you have already been all the way into a game? I never load a save when already having gotten into a game, so that could be it.

Is it normal for the AI civs to still only have one city founded for at least the first two era?

I'm playing on a marathon-speed game (On easiest difficulty) and I have ~13 cities, but all the AI civs are all city-states with one city? (Currently I am c. 8500 B.C. and in the Ancient Era.

Is it just because I am more ridiculously advanced (Like Roland Emmerich 10,000 B.C. advanced)?

On the easiest difficulty the AI is most likely not going to do well. At all. As I recall that is the only level that actually changes how it works, changing how likely it is to do some things; every other level has the difficulty depend enttirely on bonuses being given to the player and penalties to the AI (below Noble difficulty) or bonuses to the AI and penalties to the player (above Noble difficulty). Noble is relatively even - the AI gets a couple of minor advantages like reduced cost unit upgrades and slightly lower inflation, but the player gets at least one miunor advantage in slightly reduced civic upkeep cost.

On the easiest difficulty the AI needs 60% more food to have its population grow, so it's cities will be much smaller than yours, and it also needs 60% more production to build a building or unit. Meanwhile you are getting a bonus that the research point cost of technologies is only 60% of what the AI has to pay.

The most advanced AI may very well be half an era or more behind you and suffering from terrible production and a bad economy. The AI does not like to expand to new cities when its economy is bad (for some possibly odd definition of "bad" that is built into the DLL for checking this).

I have never actually played below Noble difficulty since I have little to no trouble dealing with the AI at Noble. When playing for testing purposes I used to play at Noble (because it is the closest to even between the player and AI in terms of bonuses) but started to use Prince about half the time quite a while ago. When playing for fun, rather than testing, I usually play at Monarch which sometimes gives me a moderate challenge (so I don't get everything my way, but I'm still very likely to win) and sometimes doesn't. The AI is not as good at playing the game as it is with regular BtS, and it is not incredibly good in BtS - you have to go up at least one difficulty level to have any chance at the same degree of challenge, possibly two levels (it is pretty random - some games they do better than others).

Even if you are new to the game, I suggest not playing R2R below Warlord difficulty (the 3rd one). At that difficulty the player has a small (usually 5% to 10%, but some larger) advantage over the AI in most areas of the game: production cost for buildings & units, research point cost for techs, food required to increase the population of a city, civic upkeep costs, unit upkeep costs, and others. The AI gets slightly less inflation, cheaper unit upgrades, lower unit upkeep costs, and less war weariness (and maybe a couple of other small bonuses ).

Top Bottom