Role Play Challenge, TNG: Captain Jean-Luc Picard, The Prime Directive

madscientist

RPC Supergenius
Welcome everyone to my next Role Play Challenge, the Next Generation. These games are different from the Classic Role Play CHallenges in that I focus on a non-leader from the standard CIV set. I hope this game becomes less controversial than the Prophet M was, :rolleyes:

Here we have a game where I will play as the fictional, well perhaps not fictional but a distant future leader, Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Federation of Planets. Those unfamiliar with this leader, please goggle "Start Trek, The Next Generation" to fill yourself in on it!

There has been a major malfunction on the USS Enterprise resulting in ship distruction and time travel, landing the crew back to earth, and of all places in Botany Bay on the eastern shore of Australia in the year 4000 BC. They are greated as gods by the aborigenies however they are quickly informed correctly and are simply taken as their leaders. Records of primitive earth (anything pre-2050) are very shakey thus our Captain may have slightly altered views of the true nature of our leaders :lol:, this is mostly because of world war III, IV, and V. In addition, without the Enterprise computer our intelligent crew has no idea how to start rebuilding their spaceship, and must start from scratch although they have knowledge of the wheel at least! Yet, their creed of the Prime Directive still applies and they are not allowed to interfer in what goes on in the mainlands of the world, although they may defend themselves as they see fit.

Game settings and Rules

Emperor Difficulty, Epic Speed

Standard Earth-18 map

We are playing with Louis XIV traits as Picard was of French origin, and the UB Observatory sort of fits. Thus Europe is less crowded.

Rules

1) Picard can only win via Space Race.

2) Primer Directive: We cannot settle on any mainlan continents and must stay in Australia or Indonesia. We cannot attack anyone on the Mainland, nor raise any cities.

3) Prime Directive: we cannot trade a technology that we have a monopoly on since we cannot alter earth';s history (at least too much!).

Our Leader

And the Abyssmal start

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One weak sugar resource up north, otherwise no food in Botany Bay! I could use alot of suggestions here!

By the way, can I have a list of Australian cities! Perhaps Indonesian ones also.

With no food or grassland it will be fun to ever try get that capital above 5 population. Sounds like a fun game but extremlly hard.

Live long and prosper. :)

You'll have to be quick to block out the Chinese, Japanese and Indians though. They're usually swarming the East Indies and Philippines before AD.

What a terrible place to crash. It's got to be worth spending a few turns finding a better site. If there were any Aussies in the crew they might recommend hiking over to the fish/iron/gem site near Darwin.

I agree with wandering. That place is a mess and you will not have any food for growth. Move inland and find a better spot, even if it takes a few turns. The food you may find allows for growth and soon you will find that you have compensated for the lost turns. After that, the returns you get from moving will only increase.

Australia is pretty rough terrain. Especially settling the islands, I think you want a quick Great Lighthouse, then go settle all the islands. Going to be very tough. I'd also seriously consider going for Colossus, since you'll probably work a lot of water tiles in the game.

Are you allowed to populate farther located islands? I'm thinking Cuba, Madagascar, Iceland, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Hawaii, etc.

Also, if you get Sri Lanka or Taiwan (dubious, I know) are you allowed to steal mainland-tiles by exerting culture on them?

If you ever get the sushi corp, a city placed in "Botany Bay" could become a real powerhouse.

Move inland and find a better spot

Ha... I just can't help myself but be annoying and... Dude... I've flown over mainland Australia :D and I can tell you, it's desert + desert + desert + a few human buildings here and there, very rare, but nothing even near to what one would call "village". :p There is no food in mainland Australia.

North should have more food if this map goes so-so alongside Earth and it's closer to Indonesia which should have great land.

~~~
A quick question... if one wants to play this on noble, how would one be able to?

I added the worldbuilder save. You should be able to just extract it, add to your worldbuilder folder, and start as a scenario. Picard is listed as French, you should be able to adjust speed and difficulty.

By the way, can I have a list of Australian cities! Perhaps Indonesian ones also.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Ugh, possibly the WORST part of that continent to start on. Too bad you didn't crash near Darwin! Anyways, this is going to be very tough on an unmodded Australia. Be sure you get control of all of the Indies, settle either in place or go south to settle the Melbourne site. As for cities (not that I recommend settling anything other than Darwin on Australia until Biology):

Darwin (fish/iron/gems site in the north)
Perth (Southwestern corner with the whales)
Canberra (roughly your starting location, give or take a few tiles)
Townsville (Northeastern Australia, with the bronze and uranium)
Wellington (Northern New Zealand)
Christchurch (Southern New Zealand)
Hobart (Tasmania)

And some that you probably would never found on site but are good for filler names:
Toowoomba
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Adelaide
Geelong
Sydney

and the Indies:
Surabaya (island directly north of Darwin site)
Jakarta (the nothern half of that island, separated by peak)
Daru (southern New Guinea)
Manila (Philippines)
Pontianak (Borneo)

More filler names:
Banda Aceh
Padang
Manado
Bandung
Sibu
Denpassar
Raba
Kupang

I added the worldbuilder save. You should be able to just extract it, add to your worldbuilder folder, and start as a scenario. Picard is listed as French, you should be able to adjust speed and difficulty.

Dont think the worldbuilder save is working.

Dont think the worldbuilder save is working.

Once again I have ruined an attempted worldbuilder file! :lol:

I suggest opening the original save, enter worldbuilder, save it, then start as a scenario. That should work.

Once again I have ruined an attempted worldbuilder file! :lol:

I suggest opening the original save, enter worldbuilder, save it, then start as a scenario. That should work.

It could also be me who fail on saving a worldbulder :sad:

I've been a lurker here for years and just recently got an account, but I've read nearly all of your previous RPCs and have been following your new ones. I've been wondering when you would make a Star Trek themed one given that the new version is TNG!

Is there a Star Wars one in the future? :mischief:

I've been a lurker here for years and just recently got an account, but I've read nearly all of your previous RPCs and have been following your new ones. I've been wondering when you would make a Star Trek themed one given that the new version is TNG!

Is there a Star Wars one in the future? :mischief:

Probably not Start Wars, but perhaps a Lord of The Rings one may be in the distant future.

welcome aboard!

For some reason I read this as 'Poirot, The Prime Detective' and I wondered what the hell that had to do with Australia :lol:.

1984 game pl0x.

Top Bottom