• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Roleplaying Your Civ vs. Playing to Win

Patine

Deity
How many players here roleplay the leader and civ their currently playing, thinking of what they might do, how they'd feel about various other civs when engaging in diplomacy, and how they'd honor or not various treaties, with perhpas a few improvements or handicaps on historical performance to make things interesting? And how many just play to win, ignoring such concerns? I'm interested to know.

I RPed until I ran into CivIV. Then the AI's performance forced me to take drastic measures just to stay in the game. The Civ2 AI is simply unable to do anything truly threatening, and RPing is the only way I've ever found to enjoy the CivII game. Early attempts at multi-player proved unsatisfying and unrealistic; cities built on mountains and hordes of diplomats attacking, for example.

I like to reolplay some scenarios. I also like to impose rules on myself to make the game more realistic and or difficult.

I find that using cheat mode to give ships for transportation to the AI can make games much more exciting. Not always, but it happens.
I played the scenario AWAW recently, as Germany, and found that the American Civ had built a very large army, but it just sat on the coast and in the cities, as if it were waiting for a land bridge to materialize. I wonder if this is something scenario makers can effect, but I do not know how.

I play to win (Civ2 and Civ4). Although I might be such a lousy player that it makes little difference. Civ2's weak AI is why scenario designers need to tailor play for specific tribes and/or tighten victory conditions if they really wish to create challenging scenarios. The alternative is multi-player.

In most games I role play and add self imposed rules to make things more fun. The AI is just too easy to beat. However I can always tell a top quality scenario as I am forced to use every trick I know to survive. This is when Civ2 is at its best.

Yep - I ususally role play when on a CIV2 campaign...It's a game where your imagination can fill the blanks!

Top Bottom