• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Roller Coaster Tycoon

I greatly dislike RTC3. 3D seems nice at first, except now you can no longer build big parks as performance drops as more stuff is added. Performance gets even worse when the night cycle hits. Plus the guests are even stupider then in RCT1, one guest will go on a ride while the rest of the group waits for him, pretty much leaving your rides half empty most of the time.
It does have good coaster physics though.

RCT1 is one of the greatest games of all time.

Seeing how I only have the second one, I'm curious to ask why everyone seems to hate it. Care to explain?
RCT 2 is fine by itself. It's almost the exact same game as RCT1, no new mechanics at all.

RCT3 is obviously the best in the series if you're going for pure eye-candy.

I know I do :p

Link to video.

Just as with Civ and AoE, RCT is one of those games which, IMO was hurt badly by the switch to 3D. Nothing can compare to a well designed (well-themed) RCT1 park. RCT without isometric view is like college without sh***y beer; it's doable, but at the end of the day you just aren't getting the full experience.

Just as with Civ and AoE, RCT is one of those games which, IMO was hurt badly by the switch to 3D. Nothing can compare to a well designed (well-themed) RCT1 park. RCT without isometric view is like college without sh***y beer; it's doable, but at the end of the day you just aren't getting the full experience.

It's a different kind of aesthetic. I very much enjoy the 2D aesthetics of Caesar 3 or even SC2000, but they wouldn't allow the kind of immersion (relatively outdated though it may be) that RCT3's 3D graphics allow. There just isn't the same sense of scale. I agree that 2D aesthetics tend to age better, whereas 3D graphics is always in the process of becoming obsolete, but I think there's enough beauty in RCT3 that can be appreciated, as I hoped the video might show.

It's a different kind of aesthetic. I very much enjoy the 2D aesthetics of Caesar 3 or even SC2000, but they wouldn't allow the kind of immersion (relatively outdated though it may be) that RCT3's 3D graphics allow. There just isn't the same sense of scale. I agree that 2D aesthetics tend to age better, whereas 3D graphics is always in the process of becoming obsolete, but I think there's enough beauty in RCT3 that can be appreciated, as I hoped the video might show.

I don't think so. To me it looks like just another dull run of the mill video game. RCT1 was distinctive; it had a style that was immediately identifiable. RCT3 looks just like the myriad copiers and rip-offs the original spawned. Bleh.

Top Bottom