Rome 2 - Impressions

I don't really mind the free transports.
What I do hate is that they 're far too strong. A transport fleet should only able to take on dedicated war ships if it outnumbers them at least 4 to 1.

Free magical transports completely destroy the very little logistic side of the game.
It's ******ed and dumbed down. I hate them probably more than everything else in the game combined (save for the UI, which I hate just as much).

Actually I don't want to play this game. It makes me want to play STW2.

If you're sitting on 5-10 provinces long enough to get through the farm tech tree (even rushing) and finish the resulting buildings, I can see that it would kick in before realm divide - I tend to expand much more quickly. I also think you're looking at a false economy - swimming in gold when you don't need it isn't a useful exploit; if you're conquering and taxing provinces more quickly, you're making more gold earlier and those costs pay off in the long run since what you buy with them sticks around.

Bear in mind also that food is not the only factor affecting growth - you get negative growth from taxes.

I think you're misunderstanding the farm trick in Shogun 2. It is not about building farms per se. It is also realizing that building anything that consumes food is counterproductive. Building a castle so you can increase taxes requires time, too. And each castle upgrade pretty much requires an equivalent farm upgrade to provide its food. Since taxes are global, raising taxes requires you to exempt newly conquered provinces from taxes for a longer time or have your army sit there pacifying the population for a longer time until the castle upgrades finish.

With the farm trick, all you need to do is stop upgrading the castle level except for your designated troop provinces. Don't upgrade markets past level 1 either (some people upgrade the ones where their metsukes are parked). The benefits kick in immediately as all that money you saved not upgrading food consuming buildings can be spent on farms, troops and other buildings (ports and level 1 markets come to mind).

You don't need to sit on 5-10 provinces at all. Upgrading a farm in a newly conquered province gives the same amount of surplus as is upgrading a farm on a province you've held for longer. In fact, rushing actually helps as you conquer provinces before the AI can upgrade their castles. And it's much cheaper to upgrade low level farms than high level farms.

Going back to Rome 2, I can see the same thing happen. Most of the level 3 buildings have either a -4 food or -4 squalor penalty. The level 4 buildings have a -12 food or -12 squalor penalty. Considering that a generic level 4 building has around 2x the effect of a generic level 3 building, it makes more sense to upgrade to 3 level 3 buildings rather than upgrade to a single level 4 building. Not to mention that it may make even more sense just to build economic level 2 buildings rather than building level 3/4 buildings and having to offset that with food/order providing buildings.

Level 3/4 buildings already cost more and generally have longer break even lengths compared to level 1/2 buildings. Adding a penalty and forcing players to offset that with food/order buildings just exacerbates the issue.

It also doesn't look like they fixed the blockade bug yet. It's where I can't do a land attack on any port city that is being blockaded by another faction. That bug's been driving me nuts.

I don't really mind the free transports.
What I do hate is that they 're far too strong. A transport fleet should only able to take on dedicated war ships if it outnumbers them at least 4 to 1.

I agree with this. I've defended Civ V's decision to do the same on the basis that the armies in-game represent entire formations with camp followers and artisans who are on campaign for years. In reality, building boats capable of transporting soldiers across short stretches of water was not uncommon - it's how Alexander's armies travelled by sea, for example. It's absurd for ocean-going transports or more advanced sailing boats, but you can hardly make an argument against it on realism grounds if you're going to claim that an army on campaign for a year in an area with some access to trees can't manufacture a few skiffs.

What's more, Total War has always allowed units to magically transport themselves across sea - stick them in a fleet, and where has the army gone? It's not destroyed as long as at least one ship survives, but it's not on any of the ships visibly, and can you really transport 20 units each of over 100 people in a bow kobaya?

The problem is gamewise in Total War - as you note, these transports are relevant in-game units (as they aren't in Civ V, where they can only defend and do very little damage doing so). There are also no game reasons for doing this - Civ V took this approach because transports in past Civ games were pointless make-work whose only function was to delay expansion until you could get ships produced and enough units in the same place, and mechanically because increased production times in Civ V would make this approach prohibitive.

But TW has never built transport ships at all, and you can still transport units using fleets exactly as in the past games (and if you do I don't think you get free transport ships). All it seems intended to do is circumvent the limitation R2 has imposed on fleet numbers, and if even the developers feel their design itself needs a way to get around a constraint it deliberately imposed, there is something seriously wrong with that design.

With the farm trick, all you need to do is stop upgrading the castle level except for your designated troop provinces. Don't upgrade markets past level 1 either (some people upgrade the ones where their metsukes are parked). The benefits kick in immediately as all that money you saved not upgrading food consuming buildings can be spent on farms, troops and other buildings (ports and level 1 markets come to mind).

I don't think I'm misunderstanding it - I realise it involves limiting production of castles, however that has more far-reaching implications on the economy than just using food. Lower public order means longer without positive public order, which affects both whether you can tax it and the growth penalty from low public order. A castle takes a grand total of one turn to repair following conquest (at most) and several to upgrade during which the invading force is usually garrisoning it to prevent disorder, so there's no interruption in tax income.

The tax penalty in any case is, from recollection, -7 to growth at normal tax levels - you need high-level farms to offset that, which would seem to mean delaying expansion quite a bit, especially since you won't have any other growth buildings outside coastal provinces. You're building farms whichever strategy you go for, but you don't need to take all the disadvantages in tech progression, time and cost that go with rushing the farm tech tree to achieve what amounts to the same result. You don't even need to develop any settlement past a level 3 castle - and not many past level 2 - to completely contain public disorder at high tax levels (you don't want to go any higher because you don't want to hit growth that hard), so you still get surplus food anyway and probably not all that much less of it. Markets, as you indirectly note, are much more of a burden on food surpluses than strongholds (especially since the AI spams them so you end up with so many).

I found the transport ships quite disagreeable. I attempted a naval fight against a transport fleet, only to find myself demolished by the slinger transports.

It made no sense how the transports of the most basic unit types were more durable than my basic dedicated ships. At least in CiV, transported troops while they can defend, it was to their own detriment.

The improved naval fights were something I was really looking forward to, but I'll just auto-resolve for the devastating win from now on.

I found the transport ships quite disagreeable. I attempted a naval fight against a transport fleet, only to find myself demolished by the slinger transports

Though I'm dying to see how the chariot and elephant transports work.

Because the fact that everyone in the Classical Roman period was secretly trained as a marine (who could fight as a phalanx, in ships) isn't implausible enough...

It made no sense how the transports of the most basic unit types were more durable than my basic dedicated ships.

Yes, it's ridiculous. You can't ram them because they'll survive and their boarding parties are stronger than anything you get on the early ships, while they're fast enough to catch and board javelin ships. And now we learn that being slow to turn was a bug and they're supposed to be even better.

Siege deployables aren't that strong and you have to spend a turn building those - at least if your army had to spend a turn building transport ships there might be some trade-off.

I don't think I'm misunderstanding it - I realise it involves limiting production of castles, however that has more far-reaching implications on the economy than just using food. Lower public order means longer without positive public order, which affects both whether you can tax it and the growth penalty from low public order. A castle takes a grand total of one turn to repair following conquest (at most) and several to upgrade during which the invading force is usually garrisoning it to prevent disorder, so there's no interruption in tax income.

The tax penalty in any case is, from recollection, -7 to growth at normal tax levels - you need high-level farms to offset that, which would seem to mean delaying expansion quite a bit, especially since you won't have any other growth buildings outside coastal provinces. You're building farms whichever strategy you go for, but you don't need to take all the disadvantages in tech progression, time and cost that go with rushing the farm tech tree to achieve what amounts to the same result. You don't even need to develop any settlement past a level 3 castle - and not many past level 2 - to completely contain public disorder at high tax levels (you don't want to go any higher because you don't want to hit growth that hard), so you still get surplus food anyway and probably not all that much less of it. Markets, as you indirectly note, are much more of a burden on food surpluses than strongholds (especially since the AI spams them so you end up with so many).

You are really misunderstanding it by big margin, because with the farm trick you don't want to delay expansions. You want to expand as much as possible because every province compounds to this growth aspect.

You are really misunderstanding it by big margin, because with the farm trick you don't want to delay expansions. You want to expand as much as possible because every province compounds to this growth aspect.

Only if those provinces are producing surplus food - you aren't going to be doing that until at least level 3 farms, and that's not taking account of the fact that enemy settlements will often come with at least stronghold level settlements (can you downgrade a settlement by razing?).

EDIT: Hold on, reread my above and realised in one respect that I was indeed confusing surplus growth (i.e. in each province) with surplus food (which is indeed purely a function of farms). I still don't see this changing the mathematics of the above - if you have 5 surplus food, and a standard -5 growth from basic taxation in most provinces, you still make no net gain.

Back to Rome 2, I'm still trying to find an aspect of the economy that actually requires management, without success. Increasing taxes has trivial effects on growth and public order, both of which seem almost invariably to be positive (except in newly-conquered provinces with foreign culture). For a system with a nicely varied set of building chains, it's an astonishingly basic system. I'm struggling for cash, but only because (a) I knowingly overspent on mercenaries (I pre-ordered a game at full price in large part for free access to the pre-order DLC, so I'm determined to see how the one unit I unlocked that works for all factions - mercenary veteran hoplites - actually works. So far I've learned that the voice actors can't pronounce "hoplite"), and (b) I'm playing the House of Junii whose "political underdog" diplomatic malus, it transpires, makes everyone dislike them so much that trade with anybody who doesn't actively approve of your current wars is pretty much impossible. I certainly have no need to put any active thought into public order or growth; indeed growth fixes itself so quickly that I had one slave revolt in a newly-conquered province and a few turns later the populace was so happy with me it felt "motivated". I have a few spare building slots, but right now I'm trying hard to justify putting anything that isn't a farm into them.

All I'd done to manage that province in the meantime, due to financial constraints, was build a shrine to Neptune (to convert the culture), enacted Romanisation and added one of the many retainers I'd accumulated that add public order to a province to the general. Only one of those acts involved investing anything in buildings. Thematically but very counterproductively gamewise, slave revolts actually cut all your public disorder as malcontents "leave to join the rebellion". The result is that it's actually good management to tax a new province and delay cultural expansion, to maximise unhappiness and so actively promote a slave revolt, which poses no material threat to anything with a moderate garrison.

Overall, I'm giving this game a decent shot and want to play a full campaign before reaching a final verdict but to be honest, after 14 hours I'm already bored. There's no obviously meaningful management (even if I had negative growth, I accumulate building slots so quickly I struggle to see why I should care. There's still a fairly limited suite of building chains, and mostly all having spare space seems to do is prompt slums to form, which they do apparently at random even in provinces with 100 public order and no squalor).

If I had this low an income in S2 I'd be worried, but everything seems so static - no one else seems to be fielding higher-tech units (except for Carthaginian generals who now ride elephants. I assassinated one - presumably the general rather than the elephant, so where that went I don't know - so still haven't seen them in battle) or armies larger than half a dozen units that I don't feel any pressure to progress, and as far as I can tell Rome 2's campaign doesn't even have an end date - there's none of the pressure of time you have with S2 and (in theory, but not in practice when you can easily win the game 100 years early in, say, Empire) earlier entries in the series. Tech progression is very rapid, but is basically a lot of choices between upgrades and building options I see no immediate need for anyway - I can tech in pretty much any order I want and still have the needed buildings to hand when I actually want them.

Naval battles are broken and devoid of tactics beyond "make sure your ram hits the other guy first", land battles are a walkover and I can routinely capture a province with a skeleton force. The AI hardly ever attacks, just besieges and blockades; the one attack I did face from a large army was a slave revolt, which did turn out to be the largest and - by the AI - best-managed battle I've seen in the game (the AI did actively push for the victory objective), but it still put up a weak showing tactically that meant I could just shove a spearmen unit in the way of the main force while I wiped out everyone else. The armies I'm seeing are all but identical, with the cultural flavour of spearmen in abundance with maybe a couple of leves, a particularly bad combination that my own armies can beat in large part because the two units I get as standard - Hastati and Velites (complete with flaming javelins) - are natural counters to that unit mix.

When I see Carthage's allies apparently coming to Carthage's aid, I want to react like this:

Spoiler :

I don't want to see a boat floating around around the same sea for a while, and then launch a blockade the next turn that I can immediately break without a fleet because armies can turn into transport ships and drive them off. Nor do I want my rivals to do exactly nothing to press or challenge me on the strategic layer, but merely react to whatever I do and let me press attacks at my own leisure.

For the rest, I just seem to spend my turns choosing between free bonuses - be it the ever-expanding pool of retainers who show up in quantity every turn without any requirement for the sort of trade-off you get with Shogun 2's, which edict or army stance I want next, which army tradition to add, or which promotion to give a general since they seem to level up after practically every battle. Oh, and when they get enough gravitas which free senate promotion to give them.

All of which takes place in a context that not only seems devoid of most of the character of its setting (all the moreso with exploding ballista bolts, flaming javelins and cavalry testudos, and unit names like Plebs - not even Plebes - and Giant Ballista EDIT: And if you're wondering how Britons will besiege towns, never fear, you get Briton Ballistas and Briton Scorpions. So that's how Boudicca did it...), but also the thematic touches that are trademarks of the TW series. Few silly accents, no agent action cinematics, no general's speeches (beyond a single stock sentence - not the full speeches of previous games, and no camera pan over the army during the speech), to name a few.

Recall all the complaints made in the Rants thread about Civ V: lack of character, only choosing between positive effects, no meaningful strategic decision-making, oversimplified empire management, AI so poor the game's unplayable, serious interface issues? To me, Rome 2 feels like exactly the sort of game you get when those complaints are actually justified.

EDIT: I think I'll try a start as a different faction to see how that progresses, before returning to the Roman campaign - maybe it will feel fresher on my return, and maybe having a faction that isn't basically excluded from diplomacy will give me more to keep me engaged.

Only if those provinces are producing surplus food - you aren't going to be doing that until at least level 3 farms, and that's not taking account of the fact that enemy settlements will often come with at least stronghold level settlements (can you downgrade a settlement by razing?).

EDIT: Hold on, reread my above and realised in one respect that I was indeed confusing surplus growth (i.e. in each province) with surplus food (which is indeed purely a function of farms). I still don't see this changing the mathematics of the above - if you have 5 surplus food, and a standard -5 growth from basic taxation in most provinces, you still make no net gain.

That's why you don't upgrade castles, ever. Then it's pretty easy to hit 10+ surplus food early on and then the snowballing starts to get ridiculous from there. Also new provinces don't need to add to the surplus food. As long as they don't take away from the surplus food, they are welcome addition to the farms spam nation :)

If I had this low an income in S2 I'd be worried, but everything seems so static - no one else seems to be fielding higher-tech units (except for Carthaginian generals who now ride elephants. I assassinated one - presumably the general rather than the elephant, so where that went I don't know - so still haven't seen them in battle).

No type of economics will help make the game interesting in this situation because what you are describing there is a problem with piss poor AI's inability to punish players' mismanagement of economy. You could try legendary and fight against the magical spawning armies but that has opposite problem where no amount of economic management seems (even though you clearly do affect it) to affect the situation because you are almost always outnumbered.

back to some of your older replies...

Besides which, for reasons you've already pointed out this doesn't do anything to stop you actually using raiding parties - you have access to more armies than you'd ever need to do that. All it does is force you to include a general in the raiding parties. I see no reason for this, or any way in which it improves the game.

From the way I see it, if everything went as CA envisioned, forcing generals to every army somehow ties to the political system so that it builds up towards civil war scenario. I haven't gotten deep enough in Rome 2 to be certain of it, but from what I have seen thus far, variety of balancing issues foiled this vision of theirs, and as you said, made this into rather pointless change in the end.

I'm not sure if you're seeing my point. The fact that you recruit from the army is irrelevant

I do see your point, it's just that what you are describing as "irrelevant", I see as nice changes, albeit small ones.

This is cosmetic. The system only works this way because each province contains multiple cities, and those cities functionally act as one.

This would be cosmetic and similar to Empires/Shogun 2 system if these cities didn't behave individually when it comes to siege/conquest. But it does so it's definitely much more than cosmetics.

About naval battles, I thought Empire had the best naval battles and it just kept going downhill from there. Too bad that Empire had so many other issues though.

No type of economics will help make the game interesting in this situation because what you are describing there is a problem with piss poor AI's inability to punish players' mismanagement of economy. You could try legendary and fight against the magical spawning armies but that has opposite problem where no amount of economic management seems (even though you clearly do affect it) to affect the situation because you are almost always outnumbered.

There's more than poor AI involved, there are basic mechanical failings. Even if the AI was working as intended, the growth mechanic as enacted and the tax system as enacted don't present game-relevant choices. With buildings I'm choosing between one set that adds public order (of which I need about one per province) with assorted secondary effects, or another set that produces money with assorted secondary effects. Nor is it an AI issue that the system rewards mismanaging public order to the point of slave revolts.

Right at the start of the game the choices may be relevant (indeed, starting an Iceni campaign - where I have one starting settlement, and that smaller than Roma in the Roman start - I do have to consider what to build), but as soon as you're ion your second and third provinces it becomes entirely irrelevant; I don't see the Iceni scaling any better than the Romans when I reach that point.

From the way I see it, if everything went as CA envisioned, forcing generals to every army somehow ties to the political system so that it builds up towards civil war scenario.

Maybe, I haven't got that far either. But from the description it should only take one ambitious general to start a civil war.

The politics system at least is thematically in keeping with R1's: it too is opaque and for the most part irrelevant to gameplay, seemingly existing only to give your generals occasional promotions.

This would be cosmetic and similar to Empires/Shogun 2 system if these cities didn't behave individually when it comes to siege/conquest. But it does so it's definitely much more than cosmetics.

Not in the context of unit recruitment - individual conquest is the only difference, and even that can be seen in Empire terms (unlike S2, in Empire an army could physically occupy a dock or a plantation to deprive you of it, and your forces could garrison it on the same basis). In fact in Rome 2 this is almost exactly how it works - a 'minor settlement' is centred around a resource building - like Empire's cotton plantations - and can't have much in the way of defences, and each province will only have one 'major' settlement.

About naval battles, I thought Empire had the best naval battles and it just kept going downhill from there. Too bad that Empire had so many other issues though.

Agreed. But then, there's a reason most naval wargames focus on the Age of Sail or later. Older periods had very few pitched naval battles, and the ships around weren't equipped to fight them. It's not really CA's fault they can't make medieval or classical naval battles work, only their fault they tried. There's certainly potential for battles with amphibious landings, but R2 executes those strangely - while a landing should be the most vulnerable part of a coastal assault, you can't physically attack the enemy from land until they actually finish disembarking, and then they get no penalties.

Empire got a lot right, as seen in the number of its innovations that have remained. I think it actually got rather little wrong, but what it did get wrong were often serious issues.

Campaign balance was abominable, with ease of success very heavily dictated by starting position and a fair number of factions that realistically were going to waste the new mechanics (Maratha, who never want to visit another theatre of war and have no one to engage in diplomacy with, Sweden who are not going to be travelling much either or engaging heavily in naval warfare, etc.)

As I noted on another thread in the 'All Other Games' forum, Total War games can rise or fall on the way they implement siege warfare, since the games are fundamentally about territory control. Empire and siege warfare did not mix - it was such an incredibly boring way to play. No siege towers or any kind of dynamism - the attacker stuck cannon where the defender couldn't shoot them and tried to smash the wall, which took a long time. The rest was just sending muskets and cavalry into the breach. The defender could play a very slightly more dynamic game with cavalry sallies to try and attack the guns, but face it: the human player was not often going to be the defender, and the AI wasn't smart enough to make that tactic threatening.

Given a chance, at the right tech levels and with fairly rare open-field battles, Empire could play pretty well and the AI could respond appropriately to formation changes (even occasionally use them itself, and TW AIs are always very bad at using special abilities or formations). That was just such a minor part of gameplay - and came so late because of where formations like infantry squares came in the Empire tech tree - that it was far from enough to save the game.

And Napoleon didn't help because although it fixed a lot of Empire's more egregious issues (although not, critically, the sieges), who is going to play a TW game with a total of one faction in its main campaign, a campaign that was itself rather too heavily scripted? Particularly a reskinned version of the previous game at full price?

Empire got a lot right, as seen in the number of its innovations that have remained. I think it actually got rather little wrong, but what it did get wrong were often serious issues.

Yep. Aside from the ones you mentioned, two other ones that pretty much killed the game til patch/mods came in were AI's inability to do naval invasion (in age of sails? :crazyeye:) and that one nasty bug where if any faction, including the Ottomans, held surrounding territories around the landbridge of Constantinople, would later take forever to make their move and just promptly freeze up the game during AI turn... It was like devs never bothered to try finishing a game in that game before releasing it.

But man, what a naval battle it had. Nothing quite like watching a fleet of 2 deckers blasting each other and the ships were modeled so well, with the crew moving around the ship... FotS could have had similar result but in that game due to steam engine mechanic the ships just RNG exploded too often :(

Spoiler :

Seems Thapsus is popular. I should send my army there since Rome should be represented in whatever meeting they are holding there. (Probably an Anti-Roman Coalition meeting. :p)

Yep. Aside from the ones you mentioned, two other ones that pretty much killed the game til patch/mods came in were AI's inability to do naval invasion (in age of sails? :crazyeye:) and that one nasty bug where if any faction, including the Ottomans, held surrounding territories around the landbridge of Constantinople, would later take forever to make their move and just promptly freeze up the game during AI turn... It was like devs never bothered to try finishing a game in that game before releasing it.

I think Empire was designed to be played as the British, and not a lot of thought went into testing any of the other factions... At least, not the ones that weren't principal colonial and/or naval powers. They probably didn't even think about Constantinople - you're supposed to go to the shiny new America map.

But man, what a naval battle it had. Nothing quite like watching a fleet of 2 deckers blasting each other and the ships were modeled so well, with the crew moving around the ship... FotS could have had similar result but in that game due to steam engine mechanic the ships just RNG exploded too often :(

I haven't played many FotS naval battles, but those I have are definitely the best the series has had post-Empire/Napoleon.

I did wonder why my ships kept randomly being set on fire until I worked out that was what the steam engine did... I liked the mechanic, but as you say its implementation was too random.

EDIT: Also, the political system such as it is is oddly asymmetrical and ahistorical. The advertised '9 factions plus the Greek states" are not, in fact, 10-12 factions, but eight: Rome (with 3 family subfactions), Carthage (with 3 family subfactions), Successor States (with two subfactions: Macedon and Egypt, and presumably also the Seleucids come next month), Eastern Empires (with two subfactions: Pontus and Parthia), Britannia (Iceni subfaction only), Germania (Suebi subfaction only), Gaul (Arveni subfaction only), and The Greek Cities (with 3 subfactions: Athens, Sparta and Epirus).

The thing is, the political system is based on relations between each of the subfactions within a nation (even though, if playing as a Roman or Carthaginian family, the other families do not appear as territory-holding factions). This makes sense for Rome and Carthage, but presumably means that Egypt and Macedon compete with each other for favour in their political system, and that there's no political system at all for the tribes (or if there is that it relates to the influence of non-playable factions). Only having played as Rome's Junii family so far I can't confirm this, but it's implied by the description given of the political system and makes exactly no sense.

Actually in the Greek factions you have a main family and "other families", my short stint as Epirus it was the Molossians with Pyrrhus and some other guy and I think it was the admiral who was part of "other families", presuming they are going to function the same as Epirus.

i expected a modded version of shogun2. i got a bug fest on par with empire. for some players (and according to the forums and meta critic there are quite a lot) like me it is unplayable due to technical errors. it has nothing to do with the actual hardware i can play shogun 2 on ultra without any problems and rome2 also suggests ultra settings for me by default, yet it runs horrible even when going down to medium settings.

performance aside, i am very doubtful about some of the new features and the balance:

i like:
-region system
-armies only with generals
-combined naval and land attacks
-the campaign map

i dislike:
-horrible split up research tree. shogun was miles better. you can get legionaries within 15 rounds or so
-terrible cai and bai
-internal power struggles are terribly implemented, they just have one function: kill your best generals and there is nothing you can do
-some agent powers are horrible op, for example mass poisoning with a spy can reduce an armies strength by 50% (actual troop losses) for ~400 gold. basically level a spy up and specialize in poisons and you will never loose battle
-victory flags in open field battles ==> forget strategic positioning and rush the flag
-early armies rout in about 10 seconds. the first battles are basically 2 minutes to meet the other army => 30 seconds max the actual battle ==> 1 minute to pursue fleeing units
-due to low morale and very fast troops there is no strategy involved
-terrible unit collision. your units can bunch up. for example i had enemy units pushing through my pikemen on many occasions. especially in urban combats expect huge clusters of units where there are up to 3 soldiers on top of each other
-unit don't automatically pursue routing units or engage very close units, e.g. if there are archers 3 meters away from your legionnaires, the legionnaires will just stand there and get shot to pieces
-long waiting between turns especially later one due to tons of minor factions and a very large map with many settlements

indifferent:
-unit abilities

the combat, the real strong point of the series, is utter trash at the moment. how hard can it be to use shogun 2 (or better yet the darthmod for it) as a base line. units are so fast that even horse archers in skirmish mode are easily engaged by melee units who pursue them. in earlier total wars i would have expected to kill a whole army of speamen with mounted archers in rome2 my stack of parthian horse archers gets routed by the cheapest spearmen because skirmish mode does not work. i even tested it by assigning the horse archers to an ai controlled group and it does not work. i tend to use ai groups always now, because the ai uses the abilities all the time and gives the unit some default ai the units should have in first place. basically you take a bunch of units set the ai to defend and select terrain near your enemy.

verdict: stay the away from that game until it is patched and modded, e.g. wait half a year.

Actually in the Greek factions you have a main family and "other families", my short stint as Epirus it was the Molossians with Pyrrhus and some other guy and I think it was the admiral who was part of "other families", presuming they are going to function the same as Epirus.

Well, that certainly makes more sense. As an update, with the Iceni you get you ("Elder Chiefs") and "Other Chiefs" as your factions - I presume this will be the case with the other barbarians.

This of course makes their politics very simple: we start with 73% support for Elder Chiefs.

It may be that the game is - perhaps bizarrely - very poorly optimised for play as the Romans; the Iceni seem to have a more game-relevant tech tree (and there seem to be many fewer public order buildings, so actively managing public order might even become relevant), and because sword units aren't their basic unit type they don't stamp all over the spearmen everyone else spams (although their general's cavalry is stronger than Roman general's cavalry and can go toe-to-toe with a couple of medium spear units and still win, as I found out myself on the receiving end).

I start with one settlement only, with fewer buildings than the Roman ones, and I'm finding the factions I play against a closer match, and have even lost land battles (because of that Heroic Cavalry) - unless you attack with both starting armies you'll be at a disadvantage in your first siege battle (which didn't stop me winning it). I've actually had war declared against me and enemy armies actively move to attack (including when massively disfavoured, but it's the thought that counts).

It feels more like playing a 'real' Total War game, but the AI problems are still there and the battle pace makes it very hard to usefully employ tactics or do much more than click your special ability buttons at opportune moments.

I also like the "Join Confederation" idea. As far as I can tell this basically works like annexing in Civ V (except that the option is only available with certain factions), as now I've annexed a faction it's ceased to exist so presumably can't break the deal. I haven't checked to see whether its characters turn up as a separate political faction, though they may do.

like:
-region system
-armies only with generals

I like the principle of the region system, particularly the fact that you can have 'hung' control of a province, but it's poorly-implemented. There's one major settlement and up to three minor ones, so whoever has the main settlement is at an advantage, and the basic structure is unchanged from Empire (different, occupiable buildings for resource 'villages') rather than any significant change to gameplay mechanics - you just get more building slots for the minor settlements. With global food, you aren't going to be starving out the main town by capturing all the surrounding minor settlements (only minor settlements get farms), not least because cities can have docks.

I strongly dislike "armies only with generals". It's an arbitrary restriction, with an arbitrary army cap which is in any case set high enough to be irrelevant, it means that if you want a small raiding army (common in earlier games) you have to have a general leading it. It also makes recruitment in the field very awkward - you either go home and build the units you need, or you spawn a new general, recruit units with him, then take him to join the army in the field and bring him back home (since you can have only one general per army); you can't just build units and send them to reinforce the armies in the field. I also find it crushingly characterless - in old TW games a general was a rare and important commodity, to be treasured for his skills and ability to improve army leadership (and, pre-Empire, to govern provinces). Now a general's just a commodity you buy when you have a spare 375 talents. He's powerful as a fighter due to his retinue unit, but fundamentally expendable and doesn't feel like a general or an individual character any more.

-combined naval and land attacks

Again I like the principle, but I see it doing very little in practice other than promoting some very poor AI invasion behaviour, and introducing yet another area the player can exploit to the AI's detriment. When units do disembark, they don't coordinate with the land armies, and there's no risk to having a naval invasion force - in reality disembarking troops would have been attacked with siege weapons or archers, but now they're invulnerable to land attack until they finish unloading, when they suffer no penalties at all.

-the campaign map

For some reason, I find the Shogun 2 campaign map prettier, but there's certainly nothing wrong with R2's.

i dislike:
-horrible split up research tree. shogun was miles better. you can get legionaries within 15 rounds or so

Once again, nice in principle (it's based on Empire's system, but with much shorter trees), but yes ridiculously fast teching speeds and the ability to unlock high-end units within very few turns is a big problem. The campaign is designed to be longer than Shogun's, but even with the split trees there aren't many more techs and teching is faster. Shogun 2 got the balance about right, it's a shame to mess it up now.

-terrible cai and bai

I've started seeing open-field battles where the AI is more or less the same as Shogun 2's (i.e. it will rush you and send cavalry after archers and spears after cavalry, but that's about its limit), but it's the worst yet at sieges (and Medieval II takes some beating), and the campaign AI mostly avoids pitched battles even more than those of past games.

-internal power struggles are terribly implemented, they just have one function: kill your best generals and there is nothing you can do

I have yet to even see this happen. TW games have generally had bad political systems, and mostly outside the player's control. In Rome 1 you had two political 'flavours': plebian support, which was basically just a measure of campaign success - the idea being that the plebs like a military hero - and did exactly nothing except notify you when you were strong enough to attack Rome; and senate support, which you gained only by completing randomly-assigned missions and the result of which was that certain generals got random traits reflecting a system-allocated senate office. You could build some buildings to influence the latter, but essentially it was outside your control. In Empire most government systems allowed you to appoint your own ministers, but the system decided which ministers were available and what their traits were, and the whole system seemed to have very little actual impact on gameplay. In Medieval II you had a bit more control over the Pope's opinion of you, and of all the TW political systems this is the only one that appeared to integrate well with broader gameplay, but it could still fluctuate seemingly at random, and as with Rome's senate was partly at the mercy of which random missions the game decided to assign you.

-some agent powers are horrible op, for example mass poisoning with a spy can reduce an armies strength by 50% (actual troop losses) for ~400 gold. basically level a spy up and specialize in poisons and you will never loose battle

The powers are okay, but agents have an issue they did in the older (pre-S2 games): they gain traits way too easily, and in R2 those traits have very powerful effects (+10% casualties from poison etc.). In general the combined levelling + random-traits-that-nearly-always-favour-your-character's-best-stats system makes characters too powerful in R2. Actual agent powers were intrinsically far more unbalancing to gameplay in Shogun 2 - you can't now sabotage an army so you can wipe out the one that was relying on it for reinforcements, or demoralise an army so that you win the battle and run down survivors almost as soon as you make contact.

Get rid of the levelling system and make traits a bit more unpredictable and less likely to give you "+6 cunning, +10% critical success on all actions" type bonuses, and R2 has the best approach to agents in Total War - I like the split stat system (which works less well for generals).

-victory flags in open field battles ==> forget strategic positioning and rush the flag

You shouldn't usually get these in open-field battles - I've only seen them as either attacker or defender in a siege, when they work much as they did in Shogun 2 (but in keeping with the ridiculously fast game speed in battle, you don't need to hold the flag for very long).

Against a human opponent or a capable AI, this system would be fine because the defenders would array themselves around the flag in a way that would force better tactics than "rush the flag". But the AI neglects to either properly defend or properly attack a flag, and is hard to goad into doing anything more sophisticated than rushing the enemy (while this was the AI's default approach in S2 as well, the AI showed a much better ability to adapt if the player did something unexpected, such as not standing in place to be rushed).

-early armies rout in about 10 seconds. the first battles are basically 2 minutes to meet the other army => 30 seconds max the actual battle ==> 1 minute to pursue fleeing units

Even siege battles, and larger-scale invasions, aren't usually more than 5 minutes. I'd initially thought S2 battles were too fast for tactical play, but as I got used to them I found them pretty much spot on and the older games a little lethargic, giving me too much time to plan and execute my actions. An average R2 battle is maybe a quarter of the time of an average S2 battle of the same scale (a decent S2 battle could quite easily be a 20-minute affair) - that really is too short to employ tactics, not just a perception.

And on the subject of fleeing troops, why on Earth - of all the bewilderingly bad decisions made with the interface, including the removal of unit numbers and morale indicators from the unit cards and the removal of the "close/loose formation" button, did they remove fleeing units from the radar map? You no longer have any quick way of telling where fleeing troops who can be run down remain on the field.

-due to low morale

I think basic morale is similar to S2, but there's no longer a Command stat and generals' authority or level doesn't automatically boost morale (he gets an influence radius boost that's intended to do the same thing) - the retainers and skills he can get to do so will probably have less effect than a good Shogun 2 general would.

-terrible unit collision. your units can bunch up. for example i had enemy units pushing through my pikemen on many occasions. especially in urban combats expect huge clusters of units where there are up to 3 soldiers on top of each other

It's even worse with naval battles.

-unit don't automatically pursue routing units or engage very close units, e.g. if there are archers 3 meters away from your legionnaires, the legionnaires will just stand there and get shot to pieces

Yes, I've kept running into this, finding that for some reason my spearmen are standing still and being shot.

the combat, the real strong point of the series, is utter trash at the moment. how hard can it be to use shogun 2 (or better yet the darthmod for it) as a base line. units are so fast that even horse archers in skirmish mode are easily engaged by melee units who pursue them. in earlier total wars i would have expected to kill a whole army of speamen with mounted archers in rome2 my stack of parthian horse archers gets routed by the cheapest spearmen because skirmish mode does not work.

I tend to avoid skirmish mode because I lost too many battles to it in Shogun - it's too easy for half your army to be kept on the run by one or two enemy units while the rest mop up your melee troops, and the system wasn't able to distinguish between the speed of attacking units very well - in S2 a unit could consistently run fast enough to get away from spear ashigaru, but the skirmish move would trigger at exactly the same time if the attackers were light cavalry or rapid-advancing Yari Samurai, which of course is much too late for the unit to get away from those kinds of attacker.

I forgot to disable it in this game, and I've ended up in the same situation - one unit of Heroic Riders can lose me an already-won battle. Unfortunately, R2 battles are too fast to easily control archer units manually to pull them back from the fight. Skirmish, when on, triggers automatically, so it wouldn't make any difference if a human or an AI was controlling it - hence your result. Skirmish mode basically is an AI.

verdict: stay the away from that game until it is patched and modded, e.g. wait half a year.

In fairness to the developers, they recognise the problem. Immediately post-release they took what, as far as I know, is the unprecedented step of promising weekly patches for the forseeable future, and there's a sticky on the TW forum from the developers titled "Sorry from CA". Many games are released in a fairly poor state, but this is a sign that CA knows that Rome 2 is a particularly bad example. It has a Metacritic score based on professional reviews of 8.1, and falling (it was 8.5 at release), very low both for a highly-promoted major game release generally and for a Total War release specifically (Empire and Shogun 2 both scored 9.0. Napoleon is also 8.1, but that's its final score - Rome's may have further to fall).

Given their experience with Empire, it's surprising they allowed this to happen again, but Empire almost destroyed CA and Rome 2 is a much higher profile release so they are at least well aware of their need to fix Rome 2 ASAP. Unfortunately, in my view too many of its issues are with core decisions regarding the interface, the combat system, and new elements of the campaign (basically, nearly everything added that wasn't in S2 is a bad idea, badly-implemented or both. The sole exception is the line of sight system, but the AI has problems with that since, if it can't see any units, it seems to stand around and mill uncertainly).

I strongly dislike "armies only with generals". It's an arbitrary restriction, with an arbitrary army cap which is in any case set high enough to be irrelevant, it means that if you want a small raiding army (common in earlier games) you have to have a general leading it. It also makes recruitment in the field very awkward - you either go home and build the units you need, or you spawn a new general, recruit units with him, then take him to join the army in the field and bring him back home (since you can have only one general per army); you can't just build units and send them to reinforce the armies in the field. I also find it crushingly characterless - in old TW games a general was a rare and important commodity, to be treasured for his skills and ability to improve army leadership (and, pre-Empire, to govern provinces). Now a general's just a commodity you buy when you have a spare 375 talents. He's powerful as a fighter due to his retinue unit, but fundamentally expendable and doesn't feel like a general or an individual character any more.
i agree with the blandness of the generals, but i still like the gameplay of units on campaign map always having a general required, e.g. i made rome my major recruiting province with 3 temple of mars (max tier) and lots of training yards this province produces nearly invincible legionnaires. if i loose whole legionnaire units with my main armies i either can recruit weaker version closer to the front, go back to rome to reinforce or create a new supporting legion. i really do not care if i need a general to move those reinforcements, but to me it is better a stream of 1 unit armies. what i don't like is that generals are mostly free. imho generals should have a significant cost associated with them.

I have yet to even see this happen.
had this happen three times in my current rome game, always killing my best general. needless to say i don't care about my generals any more. also because it is 1 turn per year they age and die fast due to old age. in shogun2 you could actually get highly promoted generals and use them for a while.

You shouldn't usually get these in open-field battles
you do if the enemy or you are in forced march stance afaik.

Even siege battles, and larger-scale invasions, aren't usually more than 5 minutes.
like i wrote earlier i can recruit insane legionaries in the rome province, when i attack an enemy settlement that is also guarded by a full stack army i usually get combat results of 3000+ men killed and usually ~100men lost. it is basically a-move to win. i surround the whole settlement go in every street hit the center from all sides with all my troops rout the whole army in a few seconds and get most the routing units. in general the battles have never been so boring in an total war game. i can remember in med2 i defeated whole melee armies with two mounted generals (any heavy cav would do) and a light cav. i would use the light cav to lure some of their units out of their army while using the heavy cav to crush in their side and back. was a lot of fun and also quite difficult, but it always felt awesome afterwards.

you can't now sabotage an army so you can wipe out the one that was relying on it for reinforcements, or demoralise an army so that you win the battle and run down survivors almost as soon as you make contact.
yes you can.
-> sabotage supply lines
-> show strength (or maybe it has another name, it is an ability for champion agent). you don't need it though since they rout anyways after seconds of contact

i never used agents that much in shogun2 though and in rome1 or medieval they were just annoying micromanagement imho. i would not miss them if ca was to remove agents all together.

I tend to avoid skirmish mode because I lost too many battles to it in Shogun - it's too easy for half your army to be kept on the run by one or two enemy units while the rest mop up your melee troops
that is the point i don't use melee troops. in medvieval2 or rome1 getting a full stack of horse archers was a very valid strategy especially against armies with no cav. i did not have to use skirmish mode in those games because the combat speed was actually slow enough to manually retreat your horse archers. for a whole mounted army you want mostly horse archers weakening the enemy and draw individual units out and a few heavy cav to utterly break them. the only way i can make this work in rome2 is with constant use of the pause function or playing in slowmo mode the whole time + pause function.

i really don't know what ca did with all that budget, a simple paint job for S2 would made most people happy. throw in some few new features and you are done. for combat speed i am fine with either the slower med2 or S2 but rome2 is the first total war game where the combat is the weaker part of the game and that is not because the campaign gameplay got much better.

i agree with the blandness of the generals, but i still like the gameplay of units on campaign map always having a general required, e.g. i made rome my major recruiting province with 3 temple of mars (max tier) and lots of training yards this province produces nearly invincible legionnaires.

But would that really be different if Rome 2 used the normal TW system and recruited those from the province directly (as an aside, I hadn't realised Temple of Mars effects were cumulative within a province - I was wondering what purpose more than one served)? If you want armies all to have generals, nothing stops you only using units with generals in the older games - for a strategy game, removing versatility without cause is to my mind a problem.

if i loose whole legionnaire units with my main armies i either can recruit weaker version closer to the front, go back to rome to reinforce or create a new supporting legion. i really do not care if i need a general to move those reinforcements, but to me it is better a stream of 1 unit armies.

You get a stream of 1 unit + general armies instead... I rarely moved armies by unit, which is why the 'recruit from a distance' of S2 and Empire wasn't useful (it would actually be useful in Rome 2 given the game's recruitment mechanic). But I could still build a bunch of units, have them join up somewhere close to the front, and then move the whole to the army in the field.

had this happen three times in my current rome game, always killing my best general. needless to say i don't care about my generals any more. also because it is 1 turn per year they age and die fast due to old age. in shogun2 you could actually get highly promoted generals and use them for a while.

My well-promoted general died of old age. I had someone wound one of my generals just now, but he wasn't in the field anyway - he was playing at being a statesman.

you do if the enemy or you are in forced march stance afaik.

I'll find out soon, then - made the mistake of landing my 20-unit army in forced march (rather than leaving it embarked, changing its stance next turn, and then landing), and just got attacked. Due to be my largest R2 battle - the other side also has 20 units - lower quality, but without the morale penalty, and a fairly big reinforcing army to boot.

like i wrote earlier i can recruit insane legionaries in the rome province, when i attack an enemy settlement that is also guarded by a full stack army i usually get combat results of 3000+ men killed and usually ~100men lost. it is basically a-move to win. i surround the whole settlement go in every street hit the center from all sides with all my troops rout the whole army in a few seconds and get most the routing units. in general the battles have never been so boring in an total war game.

Empire sieges were extremely boring, and weren't over in 5 minutes, but at least Empire AI did strange things like man the walls with its soldiers, and try to attack rather than sit in a huddle in the middle of the town.

i can remember in med2 i defeated whole melee armies with two mounted generals (any heavy cav would do) and a light cav.

Bear in mind that, pre-Rome 2, Medieval II had the worst AI in the series - Empire may have been worse at release (I played it much later so can't comment), but in the games' final state M2 is considerably weaker. One game sticks in my mind where the AI had an overwhelming army besieging my city. It attacked with only a battering ram, leaving all archers, other siege units and melee behind. Then when that died it actually moved its catapults into range of my archers, so they died. Then I sent my troops out and mopped them up despite their superior numbers of remaining units, because losing their siege with all the other units clustered nearby had wrecked their morale. And I did basically what you did - ran down the now low-morale units with my general, watching them run one by one.

yes you can.
-> sabotage supply lines
-> show strength (or maybe it has another name, it is an ability for champion agent). you don't need it though since they rout anyways after seconds of contact

Oh, okay, I haven't got to those abilities yet - apparently agents need to level up to them (I have 'sabotage wagons', but that just removes equipment bonuses from blacksmiths).

i never used agents that much in shogun2 though and in rome1 or medieval they were just annoying micromanagement imho. i would not miss them if ca was to remove agents all together.

Shogun 2 was the first TW game to get them right, though Empire was a definite improvement over the earlier games - agents still worked as they did in Rome and M2 in the way they gained traits, but as in S2 there were fewer types and I think they could do one of two things each.

that is the point i don't use melee troops. in medvieval2 or rome1 getting a full stack of horse archers was a very valid strategy especially against armies with no cav. i did not have to use skirmish mode in those games because the combat speed was actually slow enough to manually retreat your horse archers.

Well, I'm thinking in terms of manually retreating with infantry archers, which is even more time-sensitive. It can be done in Shogun 2, but it's a no-go in R2.

I don't have a problem in principle with CA trying to make builds like that unworkable; the game absolutely should encourage tactics that use varied unit combinations. But these ridiculous game speeds do much more than just target a particular 'spam' build.

for a whole mounted army you want mostly horse archers weakening the enemy and draw individual units out and a few heavy cav to utterly break them. the only way i can make this work in rome2 is with constant use of the pause function or playing in slowmo mode the whole time + pause function.

I'd be surprised if you could make that work well in Shogun 2 either to be honest (with the exception of Otomo shotgun cavalry, which could easily cause a Samurai unit to rout with its first volley) - that's probably why they gave units things like Rapid Advance.

i really don't know what ca did with all that budget, a simple paint job for S2 would made most people happy. throw in some few new features and you are done. for combat speed i am fine with either the slower med2 or S2 but rome2 is the first total war game where the combat is the weaker part of the game and that is not because the campaign gameplay got much better.

Agreed on all counts. They seem to have spent most of the budget on great cinematics for the trailers that never actually made it into the game (even most of the intro cinematic looks based on gameplay footage) - and it certainly wasn't on hiring voice actors (something is very weird with the Celtic ones. Some sound fake German, some sound almost like the fake Japanese of Shogun 2, and while the Iceni agents have English accents, the more I hear the main Iceni narrator, the closer his affected accent sounds to South African).

Take Shogun 2, add the promised faction variety (and I have to admit, the tribal confederation mechanic makes barbarians play the campaign game very differently from Rome - plus there are faction-specific tech trees), add a few nods to Rome 1 like siege deployables, mercenaries, random traits and growth-based city expansion, and add the true line of sight system while keeping battles otherwise the same. This would have been enough - possibly more than enough - to sell the game on.

I haven't seen a TW fan who thinks Shogun 2 was a step back, and it was reviewed very positively even by the usual glowing TW game standards, so why not stick with the formula?

Bit more experience in my Iceni campaign, and I am facing aggressive counterattacks and large armies from my enemies - I've even seen Gallic javelinmen manning the walls, and the AI is starting to use agents aggressively.

It almost does have me thinking that there's the core of a good system here and the main flaws are with the AI (I haven't had a single declaration of war against me since the second turn, diplo relations are remarkably static, and when I attacked a force with scorpions and chariots, the enemy army - while large - was exclusively made up of the same spearmen and slingers Celtic factions can buy from the start, not even the spear bands that become available to replace them early on).

But one constant remains: even when more limited in build slots and wealth than as Rome, there's just no challenge to the strategy layer. Public order is almost always positive, and once you get positive public order and have full control of a province, there's actually very little that's going to send you back into the red (buildings that produce squalor do, but when these are the only things causing unhappiness they're trivial to manage). Global food supply is at +40 and I'm actively avoiding investing in food buildings.

I think I was too harsh on the system in my earlier assessment - in principle it is a nice design, and even in past TW games (especially Shogun 2) managing unhappiness was a rather straightforward affair. But it's just too easy as implemented; not just unhappiness, but growth and economy as well. In S2 I'd spend a large part of the game building up an economy that could support 40-odd units, then I'd go and win. In R2 I'm maybe on turn 30? (around 230 BC) with around 45 units. I lost a full 20-strong army to a gigantic Gallic force, where I lost too many men winning the first battle, lost the second, and then another - fresh - army chased down my remaining soldiers. It took two turns to buy their replacements (all with higher stats and morale due to buildings constructed in Britannia since the first army had set off). I had another army to attack the same settlement - turned out I was in a province that allowed me to hire up to 4 mercenary longbowmen. I hired all four, and still had both money to spare and an income over 1,000 talents a turn.

Agents make it even easier since you no longer need buildings to unlock them, so can spawn an agent you need anywhere you need it (and since you can convert agents to your cause, you can quite easily exceed the agent caps).

I've ongoing campaigns as Rome and Parthia, and I'd say there definitely is a challenge at the strategic layer, much more so than in Rome 1. Public order was easy to deal with when you could lower taxes for cities and recruit a garrison, but now you always have to take it into consideration when you decide which squalor producing higher level building you really/want and whether it's more advantageous to press the attack and elminate a faction quickly or keep your troops in your newly conquered teritories until they are pacified. The limit on agents and active edicts also forces you to prioritize and balance order/economy/expansion. I think the system is very sound, and the game only suffers from some technical problems and balance issues (like the ability to circumvent the agent cap through conversions).

Top Bottom