[RT] Artifacts

Wait, does this mean cities no longer free-hand bombard (no restrictions) like they used to and are affected by terrain?

Wait, does this mean cities no longer free-hand bombard (no restrictions) like they used to and are affected by terrain?

That's certainly seem implied, otherwise that civ wide bonus would be asinine. Not sure how I feel about this honestly. Seems weird to take a functionality that has been in Civ since CiV vanilla and put it into the artifact system. On the other hand, it adds a certain tactical consideration. It will certainly make besieging heavily forested cities easier. Your ranged units on hills will be untouchable if the AI leaves their land undeveloped around flat land cities.

It appears so. It also makes the Golem look better since a city can't shoot over it.

How does the Golem work exactly?

Does it need to become a wall instead of attacking to block ranged fire?

If so I don't see that being very useful unless it has a substantial resistance to ranged attacks.

How does the Golem work exactly?

Does it need to become a wall instead of attacking to block ranged fire?

If so I don't see that being very useful unless it has a substantial resistance to ranged attacks.
When the Golem fortifies It turns into a wall, it gets the normal fortification bonus [I think but it might get even more] and it gets a 25% resistance to ranged attacks making it very capable in defensive positions and Sieges, which is what the devs designed it for, but that's not to say it isn't good at attacking it does have a powerful laser beam it shoots from its eye. [kind of reminds me of the Galactic Colossus from Supreme Commander]

did they mention any artefact wonders? I would love to see one.

That seems kind of tame to me, if it's main role is to walk up to front-lines and wait I'd think a higher ranged defense bonus - to force enemies into melee - would be more appropriate.

At the moment it's purpose seems to be providing cover for a ranged unit backline.

Or perhaps make its setup a combination of fortifying and prepping an attack, allowing it to attack while fortified if it has the moves left.

@ Galgus - Considering that the Purity/Supremacy Hybrid also get's the Drone Cage to autoheal units within 2 tiles, they might have been leery about making the Golem completely unkillable if you fortify it and let it heal every turn, while stacking with a drone cage, AND a massive anti-range defense. When viewed with the rest of the army, giving it the choice to defend the backline OR attack seems fair to me.

I agree with Gen Engineer, in the hybrid live stream they said that P/S relied on unit cohesion, so units rely on each other Golems provide a stable front line to attack from while drone cages heal while other units blast at the enemy, although I see this as a Heretics strategy as the Mighty SABR has 4 range and can fire over obstacles. THE MIGHTY MACHINE TRIUMPHS AGAIN. :nuke::borg::nuke:

@ Galgus - Considering that the Purity/Supremacy Hybrid also get's the Drone Cage to autoheal units within 2 tiles, they might have been leery about making the Golem completely unkillable if you fortify it and let it heal every turn, while stacking with a drone cage, AND a massive anti-range defense. When viewed with the rest of the army, giving it the choice to defend the backline OR attack seems fair to me.

It just seems like the block ability will only be useful with a hoard of ranged units backing it up.

It could be compensated by minor a weakness to melee damage, perhaps.

@Red Menace

Firing over terrain ignoring the block effect would kind of trivialize the Golem, though I'm honestly not sure how that will work.

It just seems like the block ability will only be useful with a hoard of ranged units backing it up.
does P/S get the Drone cage and the Autosled? I know they get the Autosled which is a Melee Hover unit so using those and upgraded Combat rovers as flankers and using ranged units to fire over the Golem can be a strong combo.

What is the functional difference between and Autosled and a standard tank anyway?

What is the functional difference between and Autosled and a standard tank anyway?
I don't know, when they showed off the Hybrids they mainly did S/H but they do get the autosled so its worth finding out before passing judgement.

Only really difference I saw to the Autosled was that it had 3 movement and hovered, while only costing 4 in each. Seeing as the hovering actual cav does come into play until 8 of each, it's meant to be an early hover cav to reposition quickly, I think.

Only really difference I saw to the Autosled was that it had 3 movement and hovered, while only costing 4 in each. Seeing as the hovering actual cav does come into play until 8 of each, it's meant to be an early hover cav to reposition quickly, I think.

It would be cool if it could act like a "carrier" or transport for the basic foot units: marines/gunners. A bit like a futuristic Mechanized Infantry, to get units into tough areas with some extra speed, protection, and passing over obstacles. Especially since its graphics actually display the units popping out of it and shooting at enemies. Just a few units... maybe 2? This also fits the flavor of protection for S/P, and machine serving human.

Also, back on topic, my last post was wrong. After watching the video myself, you CAN combine any three types -- it doesn't have to be one of a kind or all the same. So, you either get one of the three effects from 3-of-a-kind, or you get an empire-wide bonus for anything else.

Top Bottom