[RT] Artifacts

Barathor

Emperor
So, each type of artifact is found in different types of expedition sites, correct?

Progenitor > Progenitor Ruins

Alien > Alien Nests

Old Earth Relics > Derelict Settlements

Are Relics found in Crashed Satellites as well?

When combining sets, is it somewhat like Risk where you can only match three of the same type or one of each different type? Or can you combine a set of any three types, ex: Alien, Alien, Progenitor?

It appears it does work pretty much how you described it.

You just forgot that there's another layer from the condition of the artifact. It can be derelict, worn or pristine if i remember correctly. I suppose this impacts mostly yields and doesnt change the outcome from a combination, but that's a wild guess.

IE 3 OE artifacts will always give the same building\wonder no matter their conditions. But the yields accompanying the building\wonder will be greater\lower depending on Artifacts conditions.

I really want to be able to trade them with AIs to get the specific bonuses I want (kind of like great works). But I suspect that won't be possible.

I think the Artefact system is going to be slightly disappointing.

Both times they showed it off during a livestream it unlocked the same building (Xenomass Bathouse, great for your skin btw) and it was from different combined artefacts so I don't think it's as good as we hoping, it could be seriously expanded, have a recipe list for unique buildings etc.

Both times they showed it off during a livestream it unlocked the same building (Xenomass Bathouse, great for your skin btw) and it was from different combined artefacts so I don't think it's as good as we hoping, it could be seriously expanded, have a recipe list for unique buildings etc.

The devs did say that they expanded the list. In fact, in other live streams, we've seen several other buildings and abilities, like the special ability for cities to shoot through terrain obstacles and the building that gives units a free promotion and a building that boosts orbitals (pan-spectral something). So, we have seen other buildings than just the bathhouse. But, the devs did explain that the process is random so there is always that chance that the same building will pop again. I also suspect that the unique buildings and unique wonders have a weight for how frequently they will pop up. The more common ones like the xeno bathhouse are probably weighed to show up more whereas the more powerful buildings or unique wonders are probably weighed to show up less which would explain why we've seen the bathhouse several times but no unique wonders yet.

The recent IGN showcased some different rewards, like improving your cities bombardment capabilities.

The devs did say that they expanded the list. In fact, in other live streams, we've seen several other buildings and abilities, like the special ability for cities to shoot through terrain obstacles and the building that gives units a free promotion and a building that boosts orbitals (pan-spectral something). So, we have seen other buildings than just the bathhouse. But, the devs did explain that the process is random so there is always that chance that the same building will pop again. I also suspect that the unique buildings and unique wonders have a weight for how frequently they will pop up. The more common ones like the xeno bathhouse are probably weighed to show up more whereas the more powerful buildings or unique wonders are probably weighed to show up less which would explain why we've seen the bathhouse several times but no unique wonders yet.

Shouldn't it be based on what the components were?

Ideally every combination of three should have a unique yield attached to it.

I wonder if it will be possible for modders to change it in such a way, if that is not the case.

I think the better rewards from artifacts have to deal with the quality of the artifact (Pristine, common, and worn artifact). Have not seen any video where they have tried to purge all of the alien nest so we will not have info on the Alien artifacts for awhile. Wonder if each artifact type has 1 wonder associated with it? The progenitor artifact is probably the same victory wonder you need to build for the Contact victory.

It might be semi-random: what combination determines what pool it gets pulled from, but it's still random within that pool

Shouldn't it be based on what the components were?

Ideally every combination of three should have a unique yield attached to it.

I wonder if it will be possible for modders to change it in such a way, if that is not the case.

I think the problem is that with 3 slots and the number of unique artifacts the devs created, the possible combinations are huge. There is no way they can create a unique building for each possible combo, even if you don't consider the order.

But the yields in terms of energy or science do change based on what artifacts you put in the slots.

I think the problem is that with 3 slots and the number of unique artifacts the devs created, the possible combinations are huge. There is no way they can create a unique building for each possible combo, even if you don't consider the order.

But the yields in terms of energy or science do change based on what artifacts you put in the slots.

After all the options for Belief choices in Civ 5, it doesn't sound that hard - and the minimalist building artsyle would lend itself well to this.

I see no reason for the order they are placed in to matter.

Exactly how many artifacts are there anyway?

If I knew what all of them were, I'd take a shot at designing it for fun.

Also, it could be unique wonders or unique perks, not only unique buildings.

A minimum guess would be 5 artifacts for each category. That would require over a hundred buildings to meet all the combinations, and it seems likely there will be 10 or more for each category. It makes far more sense to create a list of buildings for each artifact type and randomize the process.

As said before some of the bonuses could be perks, like +1 Energy from Generators or somesuch.

I'd vastly prefer more unique rewards over more artifacts.

If I knew what all of them were, I'd take a shot at designing it for fun.

Also, it could be unique wonders or unique perks, not only unique buildings.
Unique Traits maybe?

New Building unlocked in the Gamespot video: Frontier Stadium: +10 city strength, military units starts with a free promotion.

Unique Traits maybe?

That may be a bit too out-there if you mean character traits; mostly because it would be annoying if players did not want that trait and wanted another.

Perks and buildings would probably be enough.

That may be a bit too out-there if you mean character traits; mostly because it would be annoying if players did not want that trait and wanted another.

Perks and buildings would probably be enough.

yeah probably, do the OE artefacts only unlock buildings? I mean its an awesome effect but as we saw Progenitor artefacts provide some very weird abilities (ability to city bombard over terrain) which must be changed since they can already do that, also has anyone seen alien an artefact sets benefits?

In today's Firaxis live stream, Andrew said that when you combine 3 old earth relics, you'll get a special building, when you combine 3 alien artifacts, you'll get a special unit bonus and when you combine 3 progenitor ruins, you'll get a special wonder. If you combine 1 old earth relic, 1 alien artifact and 1 progenitor artifact, you get a civilization wide bonus like cities can bombard through terrain obstacles.

In today's Firaxis live stream, Andrew said that when you combine 3 old earth relics, you'll get a special building, when you combine 3 alien artifacts, you'll get a special unit bonus and when you combine 3 progenitor ruins, you'll get a special wonder. If you combine 1 old earth relic, 1 alien artifact and 1 progenitor artifact, you get a civilization wide bonus like cities can bombard through terrain obstacles.

Thanks; that's very cool, I like it.

So, I believe that answers one of my original questions and you can't just combine any three cards. It has to be three of the same or all unique. I'm glad, as that gives much more incentive to cash-in single cards for the bonuses if you don't see yourself utilizing the card in a set any time soon.

I'm glad, as that gives much more incentive to cash-in single cards for the bonuses if you don't see yourself utilizing the card in a set any time soon.

In the BAStartGaming LP, one of the devs also said that he thinks it is better to hold on to artifacts that are poor condition and use them to make sets since artifacts that are pristine give higher single bonuses. So, if you are going to cash in a single artifact, it is better to use pristine artifacts since you'll get more.

Top Bottom