1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RtW: v1.2 Beta Test!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by Dale, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Yakk

Yakk Cheftan

Aha, it was the (Hitler) version of 1936 that was crashing me.

2. danrh

danrh Chieftain

When I try to play the 1936 Europe scens quite a few civs seem to be missing and I can't build factories despite having all the prerequisites. Everything seems fine In the later Europe scens and all the Pacific ones. I'm may have broken something during my own mod work but I would have thought the same thing would be broken in all scens. Has anyone else had this problem.

Dan

3. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

^^When you loaded the map, did it say that the save had not loaded up normally, because i got that, and basically it started me off like i would play a normal game of civ, but with all my cities but no units and techs, and i couldn't see what land any other country held, except in visible view.

I just loaded the map up again and it worked fine.

4. danrh

danrh Chieftain

Nah it loaded up with no messages, its just that things are missing. Still if its loading fine for some then its got to be something I've done. Great!:confused: :cry: :eek:

Dan

5. Joe Harker

:lol: Hard luck mate! :)

6. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

I think you must have broken or lost something - I just played the latest 1936 Beta2 Hitler and didn't have any of those problems. I'd make sure I had all of the latest downloads and then try relaoding and see if that doesn't solve your problem. Dales's got a post in this thread that describes exactly which files need to be applied for RtW to work if you want to verify that you've got all of the downloads.

7. Narcio

Narcio Chieftain

One thing I noticed that may be a bug is that aircraft in aircraft carriers do not have the same new mission types that they do in cities. For example, my fighters in a city can do the "fighter engagement" mission, but when in an aircraft carrier this option is not available. I found this playing as the UK in the Europe 1936 Hitler scenario with the current beta.

8. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

Yea - I've seen that too. There's an earlier post from Dale where he says that will be fixed in Beta3.:)

9. Narcio

Narcio Chieftain

Ahh, thanks ZooMan2.

I didn't see that post.

10. HiRezAudio

HiRezAudio Chieftain

Works here - second time around.
    Let me be more specific.
    Load the mod, play the 1936/Hitler scenario as UK.
    All goes well with 2 exceptions.
    1 - On loading a saved game, just about every time round the core DLL will crash on load. Second attempt it will work.
    2 - Combat Mod/Detail films in combat are crashing the system. This never happens on any other version except the Dales Combat Mod. Here's the really odd part - I used to use the Combat Mod in the vanilla version of BTS - and before installing the 1.2 beta of RTW, it never crashed me. Since the RTW 1.2, the Combat Mod is unstable. Is there a conflict somewhere?

It seems that the graphics just cannot cope, yet the system should be okay:
    Core 2 Duo (Laptop) 1.66GHz
    512Mb NVidia Graphics
    2Gb RAM
    200Gb HDD
    Civ4 Complete Edition

11. Yakk

Yakk Cheftan

Note I didn't install beta 1, but I did install the extra data pack.

Did anyone who never installed beta 1 get beta 2 working with hitler?

12. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

Dale, I think the opportunity fire addition is great in most cases but not by artillery units from transports - I just had 2 Frigates sunk (Beta2) by 5 artillery units in a transport in the middle of the ocean - no way this happens in real life!

Also, Frigates have the icon for doing bombardment but not the outline of where they can shoot and when you click on the icon the game blows up on a windows error. Don't know if you meant for Frigates to be able to bombard given that DD cannot but in any case it doesn't work so I think it should either be fixed or removed.

Final note, seems like every game I play I finish all of the research by the end of 1942 at the latest so maybe the cost of research should be increased a bit - maybe even double.

That's all for now - looking forward to Beta3.:)

13. danrh

danrh Chieftain

Is that playing a 1936 start? I've noticed the same thing myself. It seems just about perfect though on the 1938 starts.

I'd like to second that but I think at this stage I'm somewhere amongst the general chosus of "aye's".

Dan

14. Narcio

Narcio Chieftain

I never installed beta 1. I just deleted the original RTW directory that came with BTS, installed the add on pack 1, then installed over top the beta 2 pack.

I've played Hitler '36 and '39, and one of the pacific ones, can't remember which.

15. Narcio

Narcio Chieftain

I have played the Hitler '36 map in open play in a multiplayer game with 3 humans (Italy, Germany, USSR) and we stopped playing because we started getting OOS as well as crashes on loading. The OOS would be temporarily resolved when the OOS person rejoined, but combined crashes + OOS made it too annoying to keep playing.

I played a single player Hitler '36 map in random historical as the UK and I got an occasional crash when I was reloading. Most times when I tried loading again it would work, however I believe one time it crashed twice in a row trying to load the same game and the third time worked. Each time it crashed, I just reloaded Civ and tried again.

16. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

hmmm ... interesting - I've never played the later starts so yes, I was referring to both of the 1936 scenarios (Hitler and Hirohito) ... I'll have to try one of the later scenarios and see how that compares.

Thanks!:)

17. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Beta 3 is now available!

It is a complete version, so just delete the \Road to War folder and unzip to your \Mods folder. :)

Enjoy and please post your comments.

18. Joe Harker

Just a small thing, on the hitler 1939 europe map, Britain doesn't have many ships

It has 2CC and 2DD's in gibralter while germany has loads more.

19. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Oh crap! Thanks. :)

20. jefmart1

jefmart1 Chieftain

Yeah, I invaded the UK pretty easily. Landing Ships were cheap, built in 1-2 turns. I think that, maybe only for Germany in the historical scenario they should take longer to build. As a matter of fact, all of the ships seem pretty quick to build. This seems ahistorical to me, especially since Hitler cobbled together every scow and barge he could find and still didn't have enough ships to invade England. I'm not sure how many ships were actually built during the war, but I would think it wasn't that many.

One other complaint on navies, and thats in Civ IV in general, is that the AI parks ships in ports that are about to be captured. France lost 2 Battleships and 2 cruisers in cities that had 1 Infantry defending it. Perhaps there is a way to have the ships have a chance to escape port when the city falls?