Rubrum's GURPS - United Humanity Long Distance Exploration

While the others spoke, Gregory left the room. He made a beeline for the cryogenic chambers he and his comrades woke up in. He went to the coffin-shaped container, reached a hand in and with a quick flick opened up a secret compartment base. Revealed were a handful of weapons.

Gregory arms himself with:

1 - A black and wood AK-47 with 5 clips
2 - A black SIG Sauer p226 pistol with 5 clips
3 - A shiny Desert Eagle pistol with 5 clips

He also has:

4 - Two Schermuly stun grenades ("flashbangs")
5 - Five dynamite stick.

He then walked quietly to the cabins, making his way to his set cabins and opening his locker. Inside was a few suits, a decent dress uniform, and...

His SAS beret. Gregory picked it up, played his fingers over it before putting it over his head. Checking the mirror in the room, he made sure it was adjusted right, before turning back.

There were one or two more items in his locker. One was a military-grade knife, more designed for tool-work than combat. The other was a music player, containing the complete Gregory-collection of top-grade music. He switched the player to Oasis - a classic Manchester band - and walked back to command.

Entering the room, he tossed the stun grenades and dynamite to Fraser, and the spare pistol to Martin.

"Gentlemen, I'm tired. Bloody tired. But I'm not going to sleep until that goddamn alien connection is off of my goddamn ship. Either it goes, or I do."

GM update post - moving things right along based on chat discussion

Focused on the objective of cleansing and restoring the spaceship, the team used the stairs down through the conference room, down into the C level where they had fought the blob creatures. This time, they put their attention on the room opposite the engine room. Through the small window, they could see the large space access room where the door to the outside was located. This door was open earlier, but had been closed by Fraser's action; atmosphere was present.

They opened the door which led into the short vestibule corridor that was the airlock separating the spaceship from the space access room, then opened the second door, entering the large room. The shiny pale gray room was much brighter than the rest of the subdued rooms on the ship. Several things were immediatley noticeable.

-Gregory saw a huge strong pulley system attached to the floor. A synthetic rope was attached to it, but most of the rope itself and stretched out towards the giant space-door's top left corner. It seemed to go outside, the material was completely flattened as it was squeezed by the now-closed door, the line didn't seem to be cut (an almost magical property of the micro-synthetic material allowing it to become almost just a few molecules thick...). The "thether" that he had noticed outside was apparently coming from Odyssey, and not from the giant object outside.

- Fraser was more concerned with the conspicuous absence of the mini space vehicle that was supposed to be parked on the right side of the room (someone can give it its name, first come first serve!). This vehicle was meant to be the short-distance exploration vehicle and the main link between Odyssey and the surface of Gliese 581g, carrying much of the material. It was mostly a flyer, with a capacity of 7 people, and special supports for attaching and transporting material from the middle hull down to Gliese 581g.

- On the floor in the center of the room closer to the pulley was the elevator platform with the control panel standing in one of its corners. This elevator goes down into the tubular-shaped middle hull and stops at many levels, material from the middle hull could be put onto this platform and lifted up into this room to be attached to the mini space vehicle (to be christened) and flown down onto Gliese 581g. Material in the middle hull includes the stuff necessary to establish a mini colony.

Remembering the shape of Odyssey
Spoiler :

Also...
Spoiler :
Two of you still have to specify what you guys want to retrieve as personal items from the cabins at the end of the day's activities

As Nozomi returned back to the crew, she begins to wonder what to do next. "So what is next on the agenda?" she said while approaching the crew. She then noticed what others have noticed in the room.

Spoiler :
I'd have to apologize for my, lack of participation. I have given my promise to the GM that I'd be more active in this.

Spoiler GM Questions :

Just to clarify stuff:

Is the pulley system part of the Odyssey, as in our technology, or is it an alien system placed onboard?
Are there any windows looking outside this room into space so I can get a better view of this cable?

Spoiler GM Questions :

Just to clarify stuff:

Is the pulley system part of the Odyssey, as in our technology, or is it an alien system placed onboard?
Are there any windows looking outside this room into space so I can get a better view of this cable?

Spoiler :
Yes, the pulley system is "bolted down" to the floor, or more like, actually attached to the floor and made from the same material as the floor. It's your technology.

As for windows, um I guess in retrospect it would make sense right? But I'll maintain my description of the room, with no windows. But Gregory would have little doubt that this is the cable he saw in control room based on the angle and the direction and the orientation of the ship.

Spoiler GM Question :

Last one then:

Would this pulley be attached to a certain missing space vehicle? If so, can I assume Gregory would know this, being familiar with the Odyssey and its functions?

Spoiler :
He would have the feeling that this is the cable he saw "tethering" the Odyssey to the huge space object outside, now he didn't really see where the other end of that tether went, other than "in what appears to be a similar opened space door on the large object". He couldn't see inside that door earlier in the command room. Now is Aquarius at the other end, parked inside that giant alien thing? Who knows. It's a possibility among others and there aren't specific reasons to be 100% convinced of this that I can give you other than Gregory's own thought process.

*is in the negative zone singing songs from various musicals to entertain himself*

"Fraser, get over here and take a look at this." Gregory indicated the machinery the rope was attached to. "Do you know what's normally at the other end of this cable?"

"I suspect our shuttle, theAquarius, might be attached to it, seeing how it is missing. Perhaps one of our missing crewmates sought safety upon it after whatever the hell happened here? We can get a good look when we open the hatch to space the bodies of those blobby things and see where it goes."

"I just hope those brown glob things don't pop out"

"It's either that or cut the cable." Gregory said to Fraser. "Alright, can you do that and pull the cable in? If we're lucky we either get our transport back and lose our connection to that thing out there."

"Well either way we need to open the door first, and we will probably need a big-ass cutting tool from the storage area to cut that cable. Do we all have working vacc suits on?"

*Fraser checks his suit for any holes*

Nozomi readies herself in preparation of what is to come once the door of the shuttle is opened.

"I'll step back inside the airlock. Just pull in the cable for now, see if you hook anything. If it's the shuttle, pull her in. If it's, er, not human, shut it off and we'll think about cutting it loose."

Spoiler :
[IIRC Martin and myself don't have pressurized suits.]

GM Update post

Spoiler :
That is correct Kan, so I'll go with this.

Martin and Gregory walked out, through the airlock, back into the corridor. Fraser approached one of the rooms' command panels under the scrutiny of Valentine (the one next to the door into the airlock). Acquainted with the system, he punched in the correct commands. A small alarm beeped, asking for confirmation. He confirmed. A siren wailed for about 20 seconds with a red signal light flashing in the room. The room slowly depressurized and lost its atmosphere. The process took about five minutes.

The large door started to rumble back into open position, sliding downward. Very quickly they saw that the cable was attached to the large space object inside a hangar door in a room that, despite being a bit far to see quite well enough, seemed rather similar to the one they were inside in Odyssey. They were pretty positive Aquarius wasn't in that "alien hangar". Another strangeness was that the cable itself didn't really seem to be stretched to the max and tensed up, it even seemed to be rather slightly loose. He also saw that many other space debris outside seemed not to move much, relative to each others at least. No scary face huggers or anything happened. Just eerie space, and that... Thing space object.

Fraser stares out into space wondering if he should cut the cable, pull it in to see what it is attached to (but what if it pulls the other ship? He didn't want an accident) or if he should just shut the door again and they can deal with it after resting up.

He relays the information to Gregory and Martin via his armband computer and the vacc suit's comms. "Gregory, Martin, I don't see any sign of the Aquarius, the cable appears to go into the hanger of another ship, although it is not stretched tight. I cannot tell what it is attached to so I don't want to pull the other ship into ours if we reel it in. Please reply ASAP via any computer with communications."

Top Bottom