Rush-buying

marceagleye

Underground Economist
Here's an idea to save money when rush-buying. Give us the opportunity to buy shields singly.

Example: Your city is building marketplace at 12 shields per turn. You have 84 shields in the production box, so it will complete in 2 turns. Now if you hurry production it will cost 64 gold, but if you could pay 16 gold for 4 shields, you'd get 88 in the production box and complete production in one turn with the 12 shields you're producing normally.

Perhaps there are ways around this in the right situation. We'll have to call it micro-micromanagement. Ex: You're getting 10 shield per turn in a city building Library. You have 20 shield in the production box. You want to rush the Library but it costs 240 gold and you only have 200 gold. So you solve this by changing production to knight, rushing knight with the 200 gold, then changing production back to Library now that you have 70 shields in the production box. Again, you'd have to be in exactly the right situation to be able to save money this way when rush-buying.

Well, getting back on track, buy shields one at a time? Do you agree or disagree?

Very good idea. :thumbsup: Can't see anything wrong with it. And it's not innacurate either; when paying people to work overtime (which I guess is what rush-buying represents), you don't have to make them work extremely hard untill they have to stop. And this could be implemented with pop-rushing also.

Yeah I just wanted to illustrate how every time you rush-buy, you waste the shields the city produces normally, they should fix the rush-buy so that you'll pay for all the remaining shields minus the city's per-turn shield production. Ohterwise we'll keep figuring ways of MMing to get around it anyway.

I think the same reasoning goes here as well as in the "wasted food" thread:

If you _already_ can do it with micromanagement then it ought to be made a true feature, because the AI won't micromanage but the human will. The result would be a better AI opponent meaning a tougher challenge with the additional bonus that you don't have to waste time micromanaging your production.

Try setting the rush production to a cheaper item and then switch it back. I don't recall who, but someone wrote a nice piece on this. Another option would be to change what squares are worked to maximze trade or food for 1 turn

Yeah, but 'short-rushing' isn't always possible. And even when trying to maximize trade or food, you end up with too many shields, since you just payed for all the shields you don't need *any* shields at all.

Isn't rushing production SUPPOSED to be costly? I always thought that rushing is like a cheat so it should be costly.. Where would you be if they disabled rushing?:crazyeye:

Top Bottom